MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/7/2018 at 8:12 AM, Matito said:

Fans that have to watch the Orioles this year already wish they were blind anyway.

I know that Orioles blind jokes are low-hanging fruit, but I've avoided the comparison.  Nobody "wishes they were blind." Instead, us Orioles fans change the channel and find something else to watch instead.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not even close. Not so long as the Arizona Diamondbacks insist on wearing their monstrosities. 

Or the Padres with their outdated font with equally uninspired uniforms. At least Cleveland has a timeless font and non-white outlines.

37 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Or the Padres with their outdated font with equally uninspired uniforms. At least Cleveland has a timeless font and non-white outlines.

Indeed.   I’d take “boring and timeless” over “exciting and instantly dated” any day. 

I mean... Gray uniforms pretty much all suck. Not an excuse for how boring that look would is/be, but as long as it says Cleveland I'm not too bothered by it because the whites and alternates are far more important to a modern baseball identity. 

That being said, I'd like to see red text to liven it up a bit, plus a white stroke on the C, and we'll see what they do logo-wise next year. Not sure why they don't slap a C on the sleeve in Toronto like they do with holiday uniforms.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Plain and boring is not the same as simple and timeless. 

No, it's not.

For my part, I was conceding that some people found a timeless design "boring" because I still think it's preferable to following the latest temporary fad.

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Plain and boring is not the same as simple and timeless. 

This is simple/timeless:

95296dbc77063024ccafa6b998284278

Simple block fonts, an uncomplicated template design, and making use of the team's traditional/complete color scheme.

This is plain/boring/dated:

padres-2017-f.png

The petcopark.ttf font that looks so 2004 and the neglect of the team's popular historic color schemes (brown/yellow, navy/orange, and navy/sand) make it dull. A more timeless, yet ornate font (e.g., a rounded slab-serif font, cursive scripts, etc.) and a more exciting color scheme (in line with their history) would be better. I'm not going to comment on the bowtie wordmark, as I'm one of the few people who thinks it's not too bad.

The Reds wore their red alternates on the road for what I think is the first time ever. They've only ever worn it for home day games. 

9e61b0cd-045f-42cf-b2fd-ece1331c85bc-USA5b9eecdfb3476.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

This is basically what they wear in spring training road games so seeing red tops on those gray pants isn't a first. What's new is the breaking the home/road jersey distinction barrier.  Not sure if this will be a regular thing moving forward or if it's just trying to change things up late in another lost season. I kind of hope they keep it as a home day game jersey and don't become one of those teams that wears their alternates as much or more as their primaries. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think you're right that this is the first time for the Reds to wear the red alt on the road during the regular season.  It will be interesting to see what happens going forward, including whether/to what extent there are changes in 2019.  I could live with this look on occasion, but for me it only continues to accentuate how ridiculous those black-billed road hats are.  If they're "switching things up" at the end of another lost season, I would think those would be the first to go!!!

31 minutes ago, Beeperino said:

I think you're right that this is the first time for the Reds to wear the red alt on the road during the regular season.  It will be interesting to see what happens going forward, including whether/to what extent there are changes in 2019.  I could live with this look on occasion, but for me it only continues to accentuate how ridiculous those black-billed road hats are.  If they're "switching things up" at the end of another lost season, I would think those would be the first to go!!!

So I remembered that in 2013 they played a weird home game in San Francisco against the Giants as part of a makeup game. Looked it up and the Giants wore road gray, the Reds wore their red jerseys over white pants, which means they packed white pants for their road trip. You can clearly see they're in San Francisco in this photo. That's probably happened less than 10 times in major league history. 

reds_giants_baseball_cong.jpg

edit: while in the field they wore the black BP hats. 

greg-reynolds-of-the-cincinnati-reds-pit

They probably didn't want to pack their home caps on the road trip so they wore the road BP hats they had already brought along? IDK. Weird game all around. I thought maybe they'd worn gray pants for that game, but those are definitely white. 

I could've dreamed this, but I think they wore the Los Rojos jersey on the road at least once, but I don't count that jersey anyway. So yeah I think this is the first time they've worn the red jersey for a real road game on top of their gray pants. The black-billed cap is probably the least necessary road cap in the big leagues, especially because they wear the red-billed helmets for road games anyways. Just go one more step and wear the all-red hats for every game! This has bothered me since 2007. Related: I can't believe they've been wearing these uniforms for that long. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived