MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

But there will be none.

Besides, they just signed Stanton, why would they get rid of him so soon after.

Whole rebuild talk is always just bull, look at San Diego, Oakland 

The success or failure of a rebuild very much depends on who is leading it. Oakland has made the playoffs many times despite their financial limitations, and San Diego's GM was suspended last season for shady communication practices with other teams. Not everyone is going to be a winner. 

I think it's worth noting that the last 3 champions (Royals, Cubs, and Astros) each won after tearing down and building their farm system up. 

2 hours ago, bowld said:

So...what changes do we know are coming? anything concrete yet?

Its been a quiet year this year...and im not surprised.  With UA taking over the outfitting of MLB in 2019, if any changes happen in '18 it will likely be very minor.

20 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Its been a quiet year this year...and im not surprised.  With UA taking over the outfitting of MLB in 2019, if any changes happen in '18 it will likely be very minor.

There are a couple more anniversary logos to be released; 2018 BP jerseys will be unveiled likely in January to go with the all-new BP/ST hats; and if there aren't many new logo changes, I'd expect to see a few new alternate hats and maybe more TBTC games.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

There are a couple more anniversary logos to be released; 2018 BP jerseys will be unveiled likely in January to with the all-new BP/ST hats; and if there aren't many new logo changes, I'd expect to see a few new alternate hats and maybe more TBTC games.

True, and to me those are just minor changes.

Major changes would be complete rebranding by a team.  Like if the Brewers went full navy and golf BiG, or the Pads going brown and gold.

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Sadly, we may see a memorial patch for Roy Halladay next season. He died today in a plane crash off the coast of Florida. 

RIP 

Defintely, a big loss as he was great, I imagine both the Blue Jays and Phillies will have a patch.

I wish teams would go back to black armbands, maybe with an inscription or something.  I think it's more meaningful / noticeable than a patch, and historically when you look back at old photos, you tend to notice the band more, which makes it more of a memorial.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Sadly, we may see a memorial patch for Roy Halladay next season. He died today in a plane crash off the coast of Florida. 

RIP 

Thought about this but then I thought about he wasn't a current player (like Jose Fernandez and Yordano Ventura) nor is he like an old time already in the HOF player from long ago (like Yogi Berra). Not that that should matter but I was thinking it's possible we don't get a patch for him anywhere. Anyone know of this ever being the case before or am I way off? 

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Thought about this but then I thought about he wasn't a current player (like Jose Fernandez and Yordano Ventura) nor is he like an old time already in the HOF player from long ago (like Yogi Berra). Not that that should matter but I was thinking it's possible we don't get a patch for him anywhere. Anyone know of this ever being the case before or am I way off? 

He is historically important for the Jays though. He's top 2-3 players in franchise history.

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

He was a very important player for both the Blue Jays and Phillies. Not having some sort of memorial patch would be a huge mistake. 

XM4KeeA.png

Seems like a very obvious call for the Blue Jays, who will probably now retire his number this season. It's a bit more complicated for the Phillies, since he was only there for three seasons and change and was only really ROY HALLADAY for two of them. The outpouring of emotion from Philadelphia has been immense, though, so they probably have to do something. When Ken Caminiti died, and he died three years after retiring, the Padres had a remembrance for him and wrote his number behind the plate but only for a weekend (I think).

Yeah, I imagine both teams will wear patches next year. Jays should definitely retire his number and he should go into the HOF instantly in my book. One of the greatest pitchers I watched growing up and one of the first players I followed outside of the Mets. I dreaded the games he pitched against the Mets but god dammit he was good. So sad :(

I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa Bay and Arizona have some sort of 20th Anniversary patch or something. Then again, the (Devil) Rays had a 10 Years patch in 2007, not a 10th anniversary patch in 2008, so...

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

51 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

When Ken Caminiti died, and he died three years after retiring, the Padres had a remembrance for him and wrote his number behind the plate but only for a weekend (I think).

This is what I was getting at. Halladay absolutely deserves a patch, especially from Toronto. But are there other cases of recently retired players dying and whether or not they got patches and other season-long memorials or were they just one off rememberances like Caminiti? 

Also: If Toronto does give him a patch I wonder if the patch uses some of the design elements of the 04-11 "Black Jays" uniforms as that's the uniform that Halladay is associated with in Toronto. It'd be interesting to see how that mixes with their current uniforms. 

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Also: If Toronto does give him a patch I wonder if the patch uses some of the design elements of the 04-11 "Black Jays" uniforms as that's the uniform that Halladay is associated with in Toronto. It'd be interesting to see how that mixes with their current uniforms. 

They could just use a nondescript white 32 on a black circular patch and avoid the clash of eras or inaccurate font.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is what I was getting at. Halladay absolutely deserves a patch, especially from Toronto. But are there other cases of recently retired players dying and whether or not they got patches and other season-long memorials or were they just one off rememberances like Caminiti? 

So far, the memorials that the Blue Jays have posted all show Halladay in the 80s uniforms, which they did wear as alts for a couple of years but was never Halladay's primary jersey. 

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I've noticed the blue jays are using pictures of him in the light blue throwbacks more then the old black look, so it looks connected to their current identity. 

I'm kind of dreading/scared of the UA takeover. Baseball has been immune it seems from the multiple manufacturer changes. When those changes happen in other leagues the new manufacturer wants to make a big splash, IE Reebok EDGE in hockey and Nike's toilet bowl collars in football. I'm concerned that UA will want to come in and make a statement and make changes that aren't needed. I'm sure certain teams won't have a problem like the Yankees since other traditional team in other sports didn't do something drastic. Doesn't scare me any less.

I've also always enjoyed Majestic products. Shirts and jerseys seem to fit well and last long. When Nike took over in the NFL a lot of regular shirts became athletic fit which were uncomfortable for me not being that build. I'm hoping UA doesn't make sweeping changes like to the shirseys (t-shirt jerseys) because they fit really well now.

I don't buy as many MLB jerseys as I do with other sports, but being a person who's on this site we care about what they look like usually even if we don't wear them.

1 hour ago, Matito said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa Bay and Arizona have some sort of 20th Anniversary patch or something. Then again, the (Devil) Rays had a 10 Years patch in 2007, not a 10th anniversary patch in 2008, so...

I know the Diamondbacks put out a 20th Anniversary logo.  Whether or not that goes on caps and/or jerseys is unknown, at least from what I have heard, right now

Archived