MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

3 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Yeah, that seems like when not if. But getting rid of the Chief is more than just jerseys and apparel. I wonder how much it's plastered around the stadium.

Actually, not nearly as much as you might expect. The team has made a very conscious effort to minimize the use of Wahoo outside of its uniforms and apparel in recent years. In 2015, for example, they did a 20-year anniversary celebration for the 1995 team that won the AL pennant. No Wahoo anywhere on the promotional giveaway item. Just the Indians script. From an ebay listing:

IMG_1162.PNG

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Yeah, that seems like when not if. But getting rid of the Chief is more than just jerseys and apparel. I wonder how much it's plastered around the stadium.

I don't believe it's on any signage at the Jake, and hasn't been for a few years -- except where it appears on old pictures or engraved in statues, etc.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/indians-mascot-chief-wahoo-relegated-to-the-bench-at-progressive-field#

6fQjS3M.png

51 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I am probably in the minority on this one but I love how red-dominate the Angels are and I don't want to see too much navy.  I also like the current halo better than a gold one.  I am not totally sold on their red-on-red alternate, so maybe some more blue there.  But if I could force the Angels to do one thing it would be to get rid of the patch on their right sleeve.  They don't need two different patches on the two sleeves and the "Halo A" is way over-used on the jerseys.

The red-on-red isn't great, but it isn't awful.  It's just how they use it is stale.  Agreed about the red-on-red...that oughta go.  Use silver numbers with a navy outline or something.  And agreed they need to re-design the patches; use one, and not a boring roundel or the hat logo.  Maybe use an updated dual angel wing logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Unfortunately, I think the fan-base likes the BiG and is really indifferent toward the rest.  So a dark/drab BiG on the rest of this mess will probably satisfy.  I hold out some hope that the old uniforms/colors, which represent a few really good years in the early 1980s, are enough of that draw that the team will move in that direction. 

IMO this is exactly what the problem is.  The powers that be knew the fans wanted the BiG back so instead of doing a fauxback rebrand like they should have they just shoehorned it into the current look and now they have an incoherent mess and basically 3 different color schemes.  I'm not sure if the fans are indifferent towards the current set or not but what I do know is every time I'm at Miller Park I swear it's 75% royal/yellow/powder blue and 25% current stuff. Another overall observation I've had is they've worn the navy BiG alternate jersey and cap way less this season than they did last year.

I definitely feel like the Brewers this year have stuck to the current primary look more often and have used both BiG looks less this year. So if anything I'd question if they're ever gonna go away from the primary look, at least not any time soon. It at least seems to be a big difference from 2016 when they seemingly mostly wore the navy and yellow BiG and the current primary look seemed more like the occasional alternate. 

On 9/18/2017 at 7:53 AM, Ben in LA said:

I for one hope the Halos incorporate more navy...and bring back the gold halo.

The Padres will probably ne making some tweaks as well. Haha.

One thing about the Padres is that they keep putting out clothes in yellow and with last year's logo. Add that to the LL jerseys and it really seems like those colors are coming back eventually.

36 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

One thing about the Padres is that they keep putting out clothes in yellow and with last year's logo. Add that to the LL jerseys and it really seems like those colors are coming back eventually.

They are definitely a frustrating team.  Sometimes I get the sense that they are constantly test-marketing everything they can think of based on retail sale...but are afraid to pull the trigger  And they keep teasing us with actual interesting stuff and keep sticking with the plainest uniforms in MLB.  I keep waiting for some kind of resolution, even if it's blue and orange* just to move on and know who the Padres are. Because I just don't believe they are going to be this boring for a long time.  Or at least I didn't, but I'm starting to.

*In a vacuum, the blue and orange look was serviceable, but it's the worst option (compared to any brown option or to blue/yellow) because of the Mets and Astros.

At this point, I, a supporter of brown, would take blue and yellow if offered.  I did not like the two-colored hat monogram, but the jersey was really nice.  And as I mentioned above in the Brewers discussion, someone should really be using this color scheme.  Ideally it would be the Brewers with the Padres in Brown (so the worst and most boring looks, respectively, can be eradicated).  But given the stubborness of both teams, I'd take the Padres doing it if offered.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

IMO this is exactly what the problem is.  The powers that be knew the fans wanted the BiG back so instead of doing a fauxback rebrand like they should have they just shoehorned it into the current look and now they have an incoherent mess and basically 3 different color schemes.  I'm not sure if the fans are indifferent towards the current set or not but what I do know is every time I'm at Miller Park I swear it's 75% royal/yellow/powder blue and 25% current stuff. Another overall observation I've had is they've worn the navy BiG alternate jersey and cap way less this season than they did last year.

The affinity for the blue and yellow BiG has been apparent at Miller Park for some time.  I have not been there for a few years, so I'm not sure how the vivid BiG hat is selling vs. the drab BiG hat, i.e., I have not had the opportunity to see whether the new-color BiG is being embraced the way the old-school one is.  I wonder whether those sales could influence the team.  

I don't think the dark/drab color trend in sports is going away any time soon, though.  But if your perception is correct, maybe they'll realize it's about the colors as well as the logo.  On the other hand, maybe they recognize that they're selling plenty of each.  I think that carries more wait than brand cohesion nowadays.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Teams that need to do something:

• Cleveland: Pick a lane on the cursive vs. block look.  (and on Wahoo)
  • Twins: Narrow the look...either go to the throwback (and design road and alts to match) or stop wearing it.  Use the gold everywhere or not at all. 
  • Texas: Something...the look's getting stale.  Keep the red and blue colors but maybe tone some things down?
  • Brewers: Pick a lane. 
  • Diamondbacks: Cool it with the diamond design.
  • Padres:  Stop being so boring and, as the Astros did, bring out a look that enables us to say "finally!  This is the Padres."

I did not state my preferences, but they are: As a Twins fan, I want the gold canned.  I also want the red hats and jerseys canned.  Cleveland should go with the cursive look, a block-C with white outline, and dump Wahoo.  Texas I'm not sure about...I'm just sick of it.  I'd like something close to the Nolan Ryan uniforms.  Brewers need to get rid of the drab color scheme in favor of the 1980s scheme.  D-backs have a good start, but need to tone it down.  I want brown and orange Padres, so I lose.

Teams I'd like to see do something, but don't "need" it as much:

• Orioles: Dump the cartoon bird...but I know I'll probably never get that wish
  • White Sox: Go back to the road uniforms with the sock patch on the sleeves and the pants that matched the jersey
  • Philadelphia: Go to a maroon look...I'd take power blue trim.  But if you insist on keeping this look, get the numbers off the sleeves.
  • Cincinnati: No black.

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, Bucs007 said:

New ST/BP hats are a thing, but from what I've heard they're NOT the meshy junk used for the HR Derby. 

I have absolutely no inside knowledge, but if a new material is happening, I'd place my bets on the cotton-like material they used for the Mother's Day/Father's Day/Independence Day caps. I have a Father's Day Rays cap, and it's noticeably cooler and more comfortable than my Diamond Era BP/ASG caps.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

19 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

• Cleveland: Pick a lane on the cursive vs. block look.  (and on Wahoo)

I did not state my preferences, but they are: As a Twins fan, I want the gold canned.  I also want the red hats and jerseys canned.  Cleveland should go with the cursive look, a block-C with white outline, and dump Wahoo.  Texas I'm not sure about...I'm just sick of it.  I'd like something close to the Nolan Ryan uniforms.  Brewers need to get rid of the drab color scheme in favor of the 1980s scheme.  D-backs have a good start, but need to tone it down.  I want brown and orange Padres, so I lose.

I don't understand why they need to pick. They used a combination of both for at least a decade starting in 1946. It's the best of both worlds. 

The script Cleveland was horrible and I never want to see that come back. Same with the block Indians cream jersey.

al_1946_cleveland_01.gifal_1957_cleveland_01.gif

I really like the current uniforms, but I'd make a few tweaks

- Replace Wahoo on all of the caps with the C (all navy and all red options w/no outlines on the logos) 

- Keep the chief on the sleeves (either wahoo or a new less cartoony logo)

- Bring back a red alt

- Always wear red socks with the navy alts

38 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

They are definitely a frustrating team.  Sometimes I get the sense that they are constantly test-marketing everything they can think of based on retail sale...but are afraid to pull the trigger  And they keep teasing us with actual interesting stuff and keep sticking with the plainest uniforms in MLB.  I keep waiting for some kind of resolution, even if it's blue and orange* just to move on and know who the Padres are. Because I just don't believe they are going to be this boring for a long time.  Or at least I didn't, but I'm starting to.

*In a vacuum, the blue and orange look was serviceable, but it's the worst option (compared to any brown option or to blue/yellow) because of the Mets and Astros.

At this point, I, a supporter of brown, would take blue and yellow if offered.  I did not like the two-colored hat monogram, but the jersey was really nice.  And as I mentioned above in the Brewers discussion, someone should really be using this color scheme.  Ideally it would be the Brewers with the Padres in Brown (so the worst and most boring looks, respectively, can be eradicated).  But given the stubborness of both teams, I'd take the Padres doing it if offered.  

These Padres jerseys have to be placeholders while they work on something new. It's just too strange that they'd introduce a brand new design (and I get the impression that the FO resists brown because it's not "theirs") that was warmly received and then dump it and then tease it for another year. If nothing else, it was weird that they had a huge unveiling for the changes in 2016 and then just sort of dumped them on Facebook in 2017.

26 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

• Texas: Something...the look's getting stale.  Keep the red and blue colors but maybe tone some things down.

I think the red & blue is actually their problem...more specifically, the fact that they can't pick whether they want to be a red team or a blue team. When you try and have it both ways, the look just gets cluttered up. I understand the Texas flag is equal parts red, white, and blue, but it just doesn't look good.

If I was them, I would try and take some cues from the redder look of the late '90s, but that's just my preference.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

On 9/17/2017 at 10:53 PM, Ben in LA said:

I for one hope the Halos incorporate more navy...and bring back the gold halo.

The Padres will probably ne making some tweaks as well. Haha.

Part of me thinks you might be right about the Padres. They've been clearing out all their current inventory from the Padres team store. Including items they'd usually hold over season to season if a change wasn't being made.

I actually love the Rangers' look and put them easily in the top 10 and maybe even top 10. I don't even mind the bouncing back and forth between red and blue though I do wish there was more of a reason for when they wear what (and I really wish they would never wear red against the Angels ever again).

13 minutes ago, DrAwesomeberry said:

The Indians desperately need a logo with more character than a block C if they're going to finally go through with getting rid of Wahoo.

THIS. I often wonder how many "keep Wahoo" fans would finally flip if they were given an alternative with some personality. In the past 30 years, the only other options have been a block C or script I.

14 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I actually love the Rangers' look and put them easily in the top 10 and maybe even top 10. I don't even mind the bouncing back and forth between red and blue though I do wish there was more of a reason for when they wear what (and I really wish they would never wear red against the Angels ever again).

Just wish they'd wear "Rangers" on the home unis again.  All-Texas all the time is strange, especially when they aren't the best team in Texas. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

50 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

THIS. I often wonder how many "keep Wahoo" fans would finally flip if they were given an alternative with some personality. In the past 30 years, the only other options have been a block C or script I.

My thoughts as well.  I don't care about the Wahoo thing one way or the other but you can't just get rid of it in favor of using the block C exclusively.  They need to come up with something new to replace it with...but sadly, I fear they won't.

Archived