MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

I think you should still look like your team's brand and colors and logos even in practice. Experimenting is one thing but being completely different and bordering on just randomness for BP or any practice is just odd. Especially with all the media these days, people actually see what teams wear in their practices. I had a friend who owned an all red Yankees jersey. It was horrific and we ragged on him all the time for it. Imagine if the Yankees wore red caps and jerseys for BP. That's not "experimenting" that's being stupid. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I think you should still look like your team's brand and colors and logos even in practice. Experimenting is one thing but being completely different and bordering on just randomness for BP or any practice is just odd. Especially with all the media these days, people actually see what teams wear in their practices. I had a friend who owned an all red Yankees jersey. It was horrific and we ragged on him all the time for it. Imagine if the Yankees wore red caps and jerseys for BP. That's not "experimenting" that's being stupid. 

Technically your friend was not wrong then. Red is in the Yankees logo. 

I can imagine it looking awful though. 

I can understand people not liking the Rockies BP cap (I like it), but I think the reasons behind it are obvious. First, money. I think it will be a very popular hat. It’s why there are already fashion cap versions of it. Second, and maybe more importantly, the Colorado flag has a coolness factor to it. This will not only help create revenue but may attract attention to MLB from people who may overlook it otherwise.

Attracting new and younger fans has been a priority of MLB for the last few years. I think attracting the younger fan may help explain why Under Armor has been given the blessing of MLB to put their logo on the uniform. UA is currently a trendy sports brand. 

4 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Yeah true but it was just ugly lol. Kinda like this pic below... he also for some reason had it like 2 sizes too big so it was just too big on him. We said he looked like a bull fighter flapping the red cape... 

Related image

Those caps are for training  in hot Florida and Arizona?

Funny how those plastic logos goes against everything we are constantly  told by Adidas. Nike, Under Armour, etc,   that materials have to light and numbers have to be mesh, one layer, perforated and so on.

These plastic logos will make the inside of the cap and your forehead soaking wet,  the sweat can't evaporate. It will be nasty  wet until you take it off.  

34 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yeah true but it was just ugly lol. Kinda like this pic below... he also for some reason had it like 2 sizes too big so it was just too big on him. We said he looked like a bull fighter flapping the red cape... 

Related image

You can probably thank (blame?) this guy:

Fred-Durst-2.jpg

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I can imagine it looking awful though. 

I can understand people not liking the Rockies BP cap (I like it), but I think the reasons behind it are obvious. First, money. I think it will be a very popular hat. It’s why there are already fashion cap versions of it. Second, and maybe more importantly, the Colorado flag has a coolness factor to it. This will not only help create revenue but may attract attention to MLB from people who may overlook it otherwise.

Attracting new and younger fans has been a priority of MLB for the last few years. I think attracting the younger fan may help explain why Under Armor has been given the blessing of MLB to put their logo on the uniform. UA is currently a trendy sports brand. 

I'm not sure why the state flag is so cool, and I lived there a long time...but anyway, it's the play on the field (and price of beer) that attracts far more people to baseball than hats.  99 out of 100 people know baseball exists.  Most casual fans are bored by it.  A ST/BP hat won't make it more exciting.

Also, Under Armour got MLB's blessing because they offered a ton more money than all of the other competing bids.  That's the only reason. MLB didn't sit there and pontificate discuss the trendiness of UA.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Also, Under Armour got MLB's blessing because they offered a ton more money than all of the other competing bids.  That's the only reason. MLB didn't sit there and pontificate about the trendiness of UA.

And according to many recent articles I've seen, UA is struggling mightily.  A lot of that is attributed to the fact that the younger crowd has already moved on from UA.  It's not the 'cool' brand to be wearing anymore.

48 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

And according to many recent articles I've seen, UA is struggling mightily.  A lot of that is attributed to the fact that the younger crowd has already moved on from UA.  It's not the 'cool' brand to be wearing anymore.

I've read some pieces saying the same thing as well. This is purely anecdotal evidence, but UA seems to be really popular with kids, like 8-12 year old kids. High school age kids and 20-somethings, from my casual observations sport Nike and Adidas. 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm not sure why the state flag is so cool, and I lived there a long time...but anyway, it's the play on the field (and price of beer) that attracts far more people to baseball than hats.  99 out of 100 people know baseball exists.  Most casual fans are bored by it.  A ST/BP hat won't make it more exciting.

Also, Under Armour got MLB's blessing because they offered a ton more money than all of the other competing bids.  That's the only reason. MLB didn't sit there and pontificate discuss the trendiness of UA.

I get your points, but it doesn't take away from the fact that MLB is not resonating with a younger crowd. You can disagree with or dismiss their attempts to draw new spectators in, but they have to be trying something. I am not on the inside at MLB, but I think it makes sense that having UA as your uniform supplier would pay more dividends from a marketability standpoint than Majestic would. 

For this reason, I am willing to bet that the bidding for the next cap contract will be intense between New Era, Nike, UA, and maybe Adidas when it comes up again. The dam has been broken in baseball. Manufacturer's logos are here to stay. I'm a teacher and I've seen that brand loyalty exists with kids. The truth is Nike, UA, and Adidas can offer a doorway to more customers than the traditional suppliers. 

30 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I get your points, but it doesn't take away from the fact that MLB is not resonating with a younger crowd. You can disagree with or dismiss their attempts to draw new spectators in, but they have to be trying something. I am not on the inside at MLB, but I think it makes sense that having UA as your uniform supplier would pay more dividends from a marketability standpoint than Majestic would. 

For this reason, I am willing to bet that the bidding for the next cap contract will be intense between New Era, Nike, UA, and maybe Adidas when it comes up again. The dam has been broken in baseball. Manufacturer's logos are here to stay. I'm a teacher and I've seen that brand loyalty exists with kids. The truth is Nike, UA, and Adidas can offer a doorway to more customers than the traditional suppliers. 

You'd have a point if UA's offer was in the same ballpark as Majestic.  It wasn't.  UA paid a hefty premium. There was no way MLB was going to say "Nah, we'll stick with the much lower offer."

Under Armour sees the opportunity to get kids back in baseball with this clothing deal, but MLB just looked at the money and said "Welcome", because it wasn't even close. 

MLB is trying to get kids back in baseball through experiences, whether it's setting up fields, playing catch with a player, or doing something like a game in Williamsport with fun player-themed jerseys.

The next MLB cap contract is up in like 13 years or so..same time table as the UA deal.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't REALLY agree with that. Well I guess I do. I'm not advocating for teams to just do whatever they like with BP stuff. When I say "experiemnt" I mean try things out, not go insane. Like the Mets wearing black. Had they tested it out on BP gear at first then it might not have become so prevalent in the primary look (I'm not naive enough to believe doing this would have stopped the BFBS look on the game-worn gear entirely). So if there's another colour teams are considering using full-time? Or a new logo they want to ease into the rotation? BP can be a great place to "dry run" some new looks without sacrificing the game look.

In the Rockies' case? I think it's a rare time when a completely new colour scheme can work in a BP context. State flag merchandise is popular, and the Rockies' name makes going that route almost a no-brainer. Rockies gear in Colorado state flag colours seems like something that's bound to happen one way or another. At least by limiting it to BP they're preserving their primary identity.

Unpopular Opinion: Most Yankees hats that deviate from the classic midnight blue/white look are trash, but the red and white one was sharp. I'm not advocating that they use it in a game, or even add red to their uniforms. I just like the red and white Yankees hat (and jersey too for that matter) as fashion items.

50 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Unpopular Opinion: Most Yankees hats that deviate from the classic midnight blue/white look are trash, but the red and white one was sharp. I'm not advocating that they use it in a game, or even add red to their uniforms. I just like the red and white Yankees hat (and jersey too for that matter) as fashion items.

A classic white logo on a red cap. Hmmm... I think you're on to something there.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Nah, it all goes back to this guy.

new-era-spike-1996-21.jpg

Hahaha. I won't argue with you, and it might be an age thing Gothamite. I vividly remember getting into hats around 1999/2000 and walking into HatWorld to a wall of red Yankee hats. In the Midwest, where I am from, Limp Bizkit was the people's choice around that time so I'm always reminded of Fred. 

Thankfully I can say I never owned a red Yankees hat. May have considered it though...

4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Hahaha. I won't argue with you, and it might be an age thing Gothamite. I vividly remember getting into hats around 1999/2000 and walking into HatWorld to a wall of red Yankee hats. In the Midwest, where I am from, Limp Bizkit was the people's choice around that time so I'm always reminded of Fred. 

Thankfully I can say I never owned a red Yankees hat. May have considered it though...

I remember all the female dancers in the Rollin' music video were wearing red Yankess hats too. It was basically Fred Durst's trademark and fortunately for us that was the end of the road for his fame.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived