MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

On 1/4/2018 at 4:02 PM, The Golden One said:

the video game screen caps on uniwatch today of anniversary logos. Why is the A's slightly different than we have seen and will the jersey letters be outlined in gold as this appears?

24609600247_0de58e35fa_b.jpgOakland%20A's%2050th%20anniversary%20log

Is there a link where the rest of the anniversary patches in the Show are shown? Can't seem to find it on Lukas' site.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I believe New Era's contract was extended to match the length of UA's contract.

Good to know!  Thanks.  

Off topic but since my head is damn big, the UA  hats would never fit me so this is good news

50 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I have no basis for saying this but this can't be right can it? Just seems wrong to me. 

1997 - Angels start wearing their periwinkle and navy uniforms

1998 - Devil Rays and Diamondbacks begin play

1999 - Reds add black

2000 - Astros go from Shooting Star to Railmen without the name change

2001 - Devil Rays change to green, black, and blue

2002 - Angels move to red

2003 - Marlins de-emphasize teal and emphasize black

2004 - Blue Jays add black and graphite

2005 - Expos become Nationals

2006 - Royals dump vests

2007 - Arizona moves from purple and teal to red and black

2008 - Devil Rays rebrand into Rays

2009 - Rangers become the Texas Texas

2010 - Twins refresh home and road uniforms

2011 - Nationals switch from beveled arched wordmark to W on chest

2012 - Blue Jays start wearing the fauxbacks

2013 - Astros switch leagues, start wearing retro-inspired uniforms

2014 - Red Sox change road lettering back to red

2015 - Twins revamp their home look, emphasizing navy and adding gold

2016 - Diamondbacks add... whatever you want to call what they have now

2017 - Padres drop yellow

So yeah, there have been some changes every year. Obviously I left out a few (the Brewers' 2000 rebrand comes to mind), but there has been something each year.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

33 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

This is the last year for the Majestic deal so it really would not make sense to have a major overhaul for teams until NEXT offseason when Under Armour takes over the deal for the 2019 season.  HOWEVER, IIRC the teams that make the 2018 MLB Postseason will have Under Armour "gear" as a soft launch of merchandise.  What I don't recall is if New Era will continue to make the hats beyond this season

I wasn't questioning the fact of this year not having any overhauls, I was questioning if there was really an overhaul every year since 1996 until now. 

Edit: looks like I got my response in the post above. Very cool. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I believe New Era's contract was extended to match the length of UA's contract.

The only reference to New Era's contract with MLB, that I could find, said their deal expires after 2019. 

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

And the "Whatever Buck Martinez says is true and we shouldn't disagree" comment is a pretty big fallacy.

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take." -Buck Martinez, I think.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I certainly did not claim that they are all on the same level.  Just that division titles are important achievements, and that, when they come in multiples, they make a manager worthy of having his number retired.

Except the tenor of the feeling in 1984 was not very far from that.  At the time, the winning of the divisional championship was seen as having ended the drought since the pennant in 1945. 

This shows is a team and its fans celebrating a championship.  There are steps yet to climb; but this is undeniably a championship.

Steve Stone calls this championship "one of the great moments in Chicago sports history."  When Dallas Green and Jack Brickhouse talk about the fans having "waited a long time for this", they are referring specifically to the long wait since the pennant in 1945. Later, Brickhouse remarks to Harry Caray that he "has been waiting 39 years for this"; and there are many references to the the 39 years since 1945.

Of course, most people assumed that the Cubs would actually go on to win the 1984 pennant by beating the Padres in the NLCS, all the moreso after they went up 2-0 in games. So the loss of that series altered the feeling; and the season wound up feeling like another Cub flop rather than like a success.  But this does not change the fact that the divisional title, when it happened, was considered a triumph in its own right -- as evidenced by the championship patch on the uniforms.

(The second straw man in that post.  Could be a record.)

While I doubt that Buck Martinez has achieved infallibility, his comments about the 1985 Blue Jays accurately reflect the way that that team was perceived at the time, and the way it remains perceived even after the Jays won two World Championships.

Agree 100%

I don't post here often, but I had to speak up and defend your position on this.  It may be simply a generational thing.  I don't know how old all of the posters are here, but let me say this.  As a child of the late 70s/early 80s, divisional titles were ABSOLUTELY big achievements.  In the AL, you were winning a division with seven teams (not four or five).  I think a lot of younger fans may be jaded because they see teams clinch their divisions now and there's no celebration, no mob on the field, fans don't storm the field, and there are still two more rounds of playoffs before the World Series.  When the White Sox won it in '83, and then the Cubs in '84, it was HUGE.  We saw how big the Brewers win in '82 was when they went down to the wire with the Orioles.  Or how big the Expos win in '81 was when they won the playoff series to get to the NLCS.

Division titles don't mean squat now, but before 1994, they meant a lot.  Don't care if Gene Mauch's number is retired or not, but Division Titles did matter.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

The only reference to New Era's contract with MLB, that I could find, said their deal expires after 2019. 

I might have misremembered...or confused with another apparel deal...but MLB is New Era's baby/cash cow. There's no way they let go of it, IMO.

8 hours ago, ANGELCAT-IDA61 said:

Other than the new 2018 ST/BP caps and jerseys and Anniversary patches, it looks like the only new mlb changes for this coming season is the new Washington Nationals navy alternate jersey and the new Colorado Rockies new Alternate cap. If that's the case, this will be the first mlb season since 1996 where no team did a complete uniform overhaul, whether it's major or a minor tweak.

The Mothership has some new info, from The Namesake himself: http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/01/08/mlb-reds-nationals-show-off-new-2018-uniforms/

More changes are apparently coming over the next few weeks?

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I might have misremembered...or confused with another apparel deal...but MLB is New Era's baby/cash cow. There's no way they let go of it, IMO.

I would like to believe this, but if the last year has told us anything, nothing is sacred in sports uniforms anymore. That is only going to become worse. I wouldn’t be surprised if UA or Nike challenge New Era’s position.

2 hours ago, Whitesox572 said:

Division titles don't mean squat now, but before 1994, they meant a lot.  Don't care if Gene Mauch's number is retired or not, but Division Titles did matter.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Not sure those photographs  prove much - teams still celebrate divisional titles now with champagne showers.

Hell, teams celebrate Wild Card berths that way.  And I keep reading that those aren’t a meaningful accomplishment. ;) 

636424197627603710-USATSI-10319811.jpg

636421563739578910-GTY-854935252-9416641

2 hours ago, Whitesox572 said:

Agree 100%

I don't post here often, but I had to speak up and defend your position on this.  It may be simply a generational thing.  I don't know how old all of the posters are here, but let me say this.  As a child of the late 70s/early 80s, divisional titles were ABSOLUTELY big achievements.  In the AL, you were winning a division with seven teams (not four or five).  I think a lot of younger fans may be jaded because they see teams clinch their divisions now and there's no celebration, no mob on the field, fans don't storm the field, and there are still two more rounds of playoffs before the World Series.  When the White Sox won it in '83, and then the Cubs in '84, it was HUGE.  We saw how big the Brewers win in '82 was when they went down to the wire with the Orioles.  Or how big the Expos win in '81 was when they won the playoff series to get to the NLCS.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Kinda extending the tangent off the main point here, but I can name every MLB division winner from 1969-1993 (the four-division era) off the top of my head, but everything from 1995 to present is a blur. 

The watering down of the postseason in 1994 (although the strike wiped that first season out) took a lot out of MLB for me, and I've never recovered.  After growing up with a Reds-Dodgers yearly rivalry, and then having that unceremoniously stripped away, I've never been as passionate about the Reds or MLB since.  In fact, I can't even be considered a fan anymore.

Just because something isn't a huge accomplishment in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean it can't be celebrated. That's almost like saying a kid can't celebrate a A on their difficult math test because it's only one test and isn't their final grade in the course. 

(I know this isn't exactly what the discussion has been about but I think I'm more saying that it's ok for teams to celebrate even wild card berths and them doing so doesn't mean they're trying to make the berth seem bigger than it is. Also, in many ways those celebrations now are basically just paid commercials from beer sponsors and Oakley) 

(This is the slowest offseason ever.)

What is this idea that division titles mean squat now? I was at Shea when the Mets clinched the East in 2006 and that was the closest to a World Series celebration I’ve ever been to. People were going nuts. Even my grandmother started giving people high-5’s. Then in 2015, some fans traveled all the way to Cincy just to see them clinch.

To say division championships aren’t a big deal today as it was back then is such an over exaggeration. 

XM4KeeA.png

The main argument is you can't throw around words like "championship" and "title" without the division and league modifiers.  By themselves, the words imply WS wins.

Division championships are great if you only win them every 10 years or aren't expected to win them.  But the Dodgers have won five NL West titles in a row, so there is a declining rate of importance to them.  They're expected to win the division now.  The pennant was great, and was far more important than winning the West.  Now the next big celebration will be a WS ring.

44 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

So....

I just caught a quick glance at ALL of the 2018 MLB Postseason logos and I have to say that these look awful.

Scratch the clean right out.  A huge disappointment in my eyes.  Bevels and a flat-ish 3D look too.

I'm intrigued....

XM4KeeA.png

Archived