MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Considering Atlanta's obsession with birds, they could opt for some kind of hawk... match the other two franchises in their city. I'm sure they could find a way to make it a "tribute" to Native Americans or something (like many other native identity-changing teams have done).

That... Would be perfect!

I'm hoping for the MLB equivalent of Steely McBeam.  Imagine an anthropomorphic airplane in a baseball uniform.  Airplaney McWingfly or some crap.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

13 hours ago, NYCdog said:

I can see it now... “Tommy Hawk” doing the Tomahawk Chop.

Edit: Tommy Hawk already taken. 

cut.jpg

Maybe just "Chopper"?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Rockies are celebrating their 25th anniversary, not 25th season... but MLB's shop site got it wrong...

image.png

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference?  Did they sit out a season or something?

5 minutes ago, Duck_Duck said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference?  Did they sit out a season or something?

Seasons are different than years, because Season 1 happens in Year 0.

The Rockies' 25th season was in 2017.  The Rockies' 25th anniversary year is in 2018 (1993-2018).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

Their 25th season was 2017. This year will be their 26th. It sounds weird but literally using your fingers to count their seasons starting with 1993 helps it make sense. 

Family business has kept me away through all that division/retired number talk.  Was going to comment, but after starting and stopping, I don't have the mentality for the deep dive I had planned.  Suffice to say, the weight of a division championship depends on the franchise's history, their recent fortunes, and a number of other factors that are unique to every situation.  The idea that it doesn't matter for anyone is laughable.  When the Rays won the pennant in 2008, they didn't hang an American League Championship banner.  Opening day of 2009 they raised a League Championship banner and an American League East Champions banner because for that franchise and especially at that time even though they won the pennant that year the division championship was still important to them.

As for retired numbers, the hall of fame shouldn't be a prerequisite.  It should be about the person's importance to the team.  Think of it as the argument that always gets brought up about the term MVP.  Should the MVP be the best player in the league, or (as the name suggests) the most valuable player to their team.  The hall takes in a person's worth to overall baseball, while a retired number should celebrate the person's worth to the team.

On 1/17/2018 at 11:37 AM, KGeeX5 said:

Getting rid of the Mr. Met rip off? 

braves%20mascot.jpg

YAUGH!!!  His eyes are horrifying!

They have falcons and hawks.  They once had the Thrashers.  On the bird theme someone had mentioned previously, they could have a Red Eagle.  Would be a unique bird and also a reference to a figure of the local tribe, covering all bases.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived