MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

46 minutes ago, skip88 said:

The team is in on the design process here? Isn't that just speculation 

I doubt the Dodgers just accept anniversary logos without giving feedback to the designer.  I would guess teams have a say on everything that appears on the jersey..

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I have never been to Los Angeles but I don't get the city hall building thing. That has something to do with LA the city but seemingly zero to do with the team. It seems random and out of place. I'd imagine everyone outside of LA sees that patch and it triggers a different memory for each person. The city hall building isn't universally recognized enough to be on that patch. I'm in Miami and the patch reminds me of this building, what we call The Freedom Tower...

But this particular Dodgers patch is a tribute to LA. It doesn't necessarily need to be universally recognized. 

(Miami's Freedom Tower is beautiful)

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I have never been to Los Angeles but I don't get the city hall building thing. That has something to do with LA the city but seemingly zero to do with the team. It seems random and out of place. I'd imagine everyone outside of LA sees that patch and it triggers a different memory for each person. The city hall building isn't universally recognized enough to be on that patch. I'm in Miami and the patch reminds me of this building, what we call The Freedom Tower...

Image result for miami freedom tower

The anniversary has more to do with LA specifically than it does with the Dodgers generally. 

55 minutes ago, skip88 said:

The team is in on the design process here? Isn't that just speculation 

No, that’s how design in the real world works. It’s very possible he created a bunch of preliminary sketches, and the team moved forward with ones he didn’t like as much. 

spacer.png

Randomly trying to remember what uniforms Gary Sheffield wore in his relatively short time with the Padres I came across this pic which I found interesting because of the collection of talent involved, I hadn't realized (or didn't remember as I was just ten years old) these four guys were ever teammates together, plus the awesome color scheme they're wearing stood out to me to a time a long time ago in a galaxy far far away when the San Diego Padres uniforms weren't so darn boring...

Image result for gary sheffield padres

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

But this particular Dodgers patch is a tribute to LA. It doesn't necessarily need to be universally recognized. 

(Miami's Freedom Tower is beautiful)

But the Dodgers are a team and a brand seen through the entire country and, with MLB's push to be more recognized globally, one could argue they're being pushed to be seen more throughout the globe. So with that said shouldn't their patch be more easily understood everywhere it's seen? 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like including something so specific to LA, almost like it's an "insiders only" element of LA, is not a wise move here. Too many people are gonna scratch their heads and say "what is that building?" I can't think of any other patch that has ever had something so unrecognizable to the general population. The Giants 60 patch above has the Golden Gate Bridge and virtually everyone sees that and recognizes it as a symbol of San Francisco. 

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I’m sorry, anyone who doesn’t recognize City Hall doesn’t know much about LA.  It’s as famous an icon for its city as the Empire State Building is for New York. 

Now that’s just hyperbole. I’d put the Hollywood Sign or Capital Records way ahead of City Hall. 

27 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Now that’s just hyperbole. I’d put the Hollywood Sign or Capital Records way ahead of City Hall. 

The Hollywood sign?  Sure.  Capital Records?  No way. 

I doubt there’s any significant percentage of Americans who can recognize the Capital Records building but not City Hall. 

3 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Trevor Hoffman and Hells Bells are a famous combination. 

Famous is relative. He was a closer on a team in a non-large market that never won anything on a national stage. I admit I don’t follow as much as most, but I imagine the connection won’t be instantly recognized for most people. 

Of course, since things like this are designed mostly for the fans of the player’s team, as long as SD fans get it then that’s what’s important. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow. I never thought they'd actually do it and I'm not sure if I like it. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but the hat logo feels a little too thin for that large space. The D they used for the chest seemed to make sense for that particular application while the hat logo works better on the hat. 

I've always enjoyed that little quirk for the Tigers. Felt right for a team of their age before everything was vectored and computerized and standardizing everything does sort of remove some personality and heart from an already dry look. Same reason why I've never wanted the Yankees to match theirs either. Hmmm. It'll take some getting used to. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 minutes ago, YessSir32 said:

https://twitter.com/tigers/status/956585156546002945

Tigers new home unis. Matching the D on jersey with one on that hat.

That might piss some people off but I love it and I love that they chose to duplicate the cap D and not the jersey D. Great choice that will improve their look even if it goes against tradition. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

That might piss some people off but I love it and I love that they chose to duplicate the cap D and not the jersey D. Great choice that will improve their look even if it goes against tradition. 

I was ready to get all upset about it but the mockups look fine.

Yeah, it seems like it's a move that will be somewhat unpopular now (due to tradition) but 10 years from now, we'll all say "Yeah,that was a good call".

12 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah it seems like it's a move that will probably be somewhat unpopular now (due to tradition) but 10 years from now, we'll all say "Yeah,that was a good call".

Yeah this sums it up perfectly. Ten years from now: "man can't believe they went with that mismatched D for so long." 

Archived