MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

So they'll have the throwback jerseys and hats, plus the fauxback hat? Hope the fauxback hat isn't paired with the throwback jersey...that'd be awkward.  And if they are wearing this new fauxback...is the 70s fauxback gone? edit: Fanatics is selling a 70s fauxback with the 20th anniversary patch, so that's still around too.

Fauxback needs a break this year IMO to commemorate the 20th Anniversary.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

From the mothership:

Devil-Rays-Throwbacks-590x444.jpg

As mentioned above, I'd rather have them wear the black hats with the throwback, and then wear the new navy caps with a current uniform.

This is ridiculous. If they can't get the cap right, then they shouldn't do it. 

Let's not forget that the supposed 1998 cap never made the field in 1998 and didn't actually get worn in a game until it was worn as a throwback in like 2009 or 2010. It's the one cap that actually got worn as a throwback first, which makes no sense if you think about it.

Also, the "1970's" Rays fauxback jersey(s) totally screws with the 20th anniversary like some crazy Back to the Future plot twist... how could the Rays be celebrating their 20th anniversary in 2018 if they have a jersey that they wore in the 70s? Emmett Brown probably went back in time and altered history and that's how we got to this mess lol.

1 minute ago, Brandon9485 said:

This is ridiculous. If they can't get the cap right, then they shouldn't do it. 

Well I think they have proved they "can" get the cap right, they just chose to go this route, for whatever reason. It's not like this was a mistake or a matter of not being able to get it accurate. 

On 1/27/2018 at 9:43 AM, skip88 said:

A's will once again be looking great while losing 100 games.

Why bother buying a player jersey. Any decent guy is gone before you know it.

This is why I never buy a jersey with a player's name on it. Especially growing up an Indians fan in the 70's and 80's when our best players would get shipped off to New York or LA when we couldn't afford them anymore. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, Ark said:

The "fauxback" is better than the actual uniform they wore back then. 

The gradient was way more original and good-looking than the Padres ripoff fauxback.

I like the new faux-1998 cap, but I do worry that the navy might clash with the wordmark/numbers on the uniform.

11780_boggs_jersey.jpg

I guess you you could make the argument that black was pretty minimal on the lettering (compared to purple and the gradient). Still, it’ll be good to see it again.

22 minutes ago, bowld said:

That new Rays hat is already flying off the shelves. Just went to mlbshop and its almost sold out in all sizes already

ff_3051789_full.jpg&w=600

This is so nice. 

I have the original all black one from the 90s and it is one of my favorites. I gotta add this to my collection. 

Go A's!

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Better view of the patch.

In the replies, they note that these will be worn for the first two home games (against BAL), when they unveil the banner (home opener) and they get their rings (G2).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

For those four games, along with select home and road games, the club will wear a newly designed navy blue retro cap that blends the original and current designs.

This is from mlb.com, sounds like the cap will be worn with their current jerseys a few times as well. This is good!

https://www.mlb.com/news/rays-will-celebrate-20th-anniversary-in-18/c-266033660

Surprised this hasn't been brought up yet but the Royals Spring Training jersey will have an R instead of KC as the chest logo... I'm not a fan...

Men's Kansas City Royals Salvador Perez Majestic Royal 2018 Spring Training Cool Base Player Jersey

From what I gathered looking at the rest of the Spring Training jerseys there are no other changes except the Marlins will now be wearing their orange jerseys for spring games instead of their black jerseys. An upgrade for them I think. The black ones are nice but the orange clearly fits the spring training vibe better. 

Archived