MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, Gothamite said:

Do Marlins fans feel any special affinity or rivalry with the Rockies?  I know they came into the league together, but that doesn't necessarily resonate.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:53 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Nope. None. I personally have always "kept an eye on" the Rockies because both teams started together but there is zero connection between the two as far as the fan bases are concerne whether it's as a rivalry or as some brotherly connection. 

Well, I just thought that both teams would be celebrating the same anniversary; so it would be kind of neat to pull out the throwbacks against Colorado.

I certainly wouldn't call being expansion cousins the basis of any kind of rivalry; but neither am I convinced that there is absolutely nothing between the teams.  You literally cannot think of one of these teams without thinking of the other, just as with Toronto and Seattle.  There's gotta be a little something there.

Edit: The Rockies wore road throwbacks at home? That's both awesome and weird. 

It is weird.  And the Phillies are going to engage in the same kind of weirdness this year, dates to be announced.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I certainly wouldn't call being expansion cousins the basis of any kind of rivalry; but neither am I convinced that there is absolutely nothing between the teams.  You literally cannot think of one of these teams without thinking of the other, just as with Toronto and Seattle.  There's gotta be a little something there.

Hmm.  I literally can think of any one of those four teams without thinking of their expansion partners.  Just like I can think of NYCFC without even considering Orlando City.

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:
16 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Hmm.  I literally can think of any one of those four teams without thinking of their expansion partners.  Just like I can think of NYCFC without even considering Orlando City.

Well, I double-hmm that one.  As of last year, Orlando's fans sure thought of us as their main rival.  That was before Atlanta started playing; so maybe that's changed to some extent.  But NYCFC and Orlando City will always have some kind of link, even if that team is far from our biggest rival.  And the fact that Kreis is their manager makes ignoring them downright impossible.

16 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

the fact that Kreis is their manager makes ignoring them downright impossible.

Watch me.  ;)

Besides, that article doesn't exactly make the case:

My thesis then was, simply put, that NYCFC was about as close as we were going to get to a rival until we meet up with Atlanta and a yet-to-be determined potential southern expansion team.

And according to that article, NYCFC fans ranked Orlando on the "rival" scale lower than fans of any other club.  So no real connection on either side, than.

3 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

What does Toronto and Seattle have to do with each other?

They came in together in 1977.  That made the standings look different than they had looked before  So one cannot help but associate them with each other, to at least a small degree.

And there was the constant reminder in the baseball cards.  When you opened your packs of baseball cards, the Toronto and Seattle guys all had the lousy paint jobs.

Image result for 1977 topps toronto    Image result for 1977 topps seattle

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

They came in together in 1977.  That made the standings look different than they had looked before  So one cannot help but associate them with each other, to at least a small degree.

And there was the constant reminder in the baseball cards.  When you opened your packs of baseball cards, the Toronto and Seattle guys all had the lousy paint jobs.

Image result for 1977 topps toronto    Image result for 1977 topps seattle

Didn't know they started at the same time, will probably forget this too come tomorrow.

The only 2 teams I've ever really associated together from an expansion class is Carolina and Jville. And the only reason is because both teams made it to their conference championships in the same year early in their existence, otherwise wouldn't really have a link. Hell I forgot that the Magic and Heat were both from the same expansion class and both of those teams are in florida at that.

12 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Didn't know they started at the same time, will probably forget this too come tomorrow.

The only 2 teams I've ever really associated together from an expansion class is Carolina and Jville. And the only reason is because both teams made it to their conference championships in the same year early in their existence, otherwise wouldn't really have a link. Hell I forgot that the Magic and Heat were both from the same expansion class and both of those teams are in florida at that.

Negative. Magic came in with the Timberwolves in 89-90. But it's easy to forget since after a few years no one really ties expansion classes together, but of course the only way I remember this pair is 89-90 NBA Hoops cards.

I do tie most expansion classes together, but rarely for any good reason.  Mighty Ducks and Panthers...no rivalry. Wild and Blue Jackets...meh. Heat and Hornets...more tied together by the Mourning (et al)/Glen Rice trade. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Well, I double-hmm that one.  As of last year, Orlando's fans sure thought of us as their main rival.  That was before Atlanta started playing; so maybe that's changed to some extent.  But NYCFC and Orlando City will always have some kind of link, even if that team is far from our biggest rival.  And the fact that Kreis is their manager makes ignoring them downright impossible.

Yeah... no. The only people that pushed the City-NYCFC rivalry was the MLS front office.

On the bold: Well, if it matters that much, you can have him back and we'll take Adrian Heath back :P

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think a major factor is what happened when you were alive/old enough to remember or actively follow the sport.  The Rays and Diamondbacks are forever linked in my mind and because they came out at the same time I often feel their general worth kind of correlates in terms of success.  I was six when the Marlins and Rockies came, so the link is a lot more tenuous and easy to forget if I don't take a second to think about it.  Meanwhile, I know the Mets came out in '62, but I often struggle to remember if their expansion mates were the Astros or the Expos (and I should know this because the Expos came out the year of the Montreal Expo, but all I can remember about that was that it was "Expo Sixty-Something").  I know the Twins moved in '61 to start the expansion era with the Senators (Rangers), but I can't remember if their expansion mate was the Royals or Angels.  The mention of the Mariners and Blue Jays didn't resonate with me at all.

And I didn't remember NYCFC and Orlando sharing an expansion class, but I only paid attention to one team and am not hugely involved in the league as a whole.

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I think a major factor is what happened when you were alive/old enough to remember or actively follow the sport.  The Rays and Diamondbacks are forever linked in my mind and because they came out at the same time I often feel their general worth kind of correlates in terms of success.  I was six when the Marlins and Rockies came, so the link is a lot more tenuous and easy to forget if I don't take a second to think about it.  Meanwhile, I know the Mets came out in '62, but I often struggle to remember if their expansion mates were the Astros or the Expos (and I should know this because the Expos came out the year of the Montreal Expo, but all I can remember about that was that it was "Expo Sixty-Something").  I know the Twins moved in '61 to start the expansion era with the Senators (Rangers), but I can't remember if their expansion mate was the Royals or Angels.  The mention of the Mariners and Blue Jays didn't resonate with me at all.

Maybe.  But I clearly remember every expansion since 1977, and I still don't tend to associate the clubs with each other.  I can remember which pairs were which if I stop and take a moment, but they're hardly intertwined.  I certainly don't automatically think of one when I think of the other.

FWIW, I always think of the Rockies and Marlins together, since they were the first MLB expansion pair of my lifetime, and that was a huge deal at the time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, phutmasterflex said:

Just bring back the orange caps and helmets!

Atlanta+Braves+v+Miami+Marlins+7J0jV8qfx

New+York+Yankees+v+Miami+Marlins+eVDWXQv

Caps yes but helmets please no. They look like construction worker hard hats. For the record they were only worn once and that was in a pre season exhibition game vs the Yankees 2 days before the official opening day of the 2012 season. They never made a single appearance ever again even when the orange caps were worn. 

14 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

And I didn't remember NYCFC and Orlando sharing an expansion class, but I only paid attention to one team and am not hugely involved in the league as a whole.

Almost.

The fair -- Expo 67

The team -- debuted in 1969

I know this because my parents went to Expo 67 and I looked at this many times as a kid.

s-l225.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

12 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Phillies have announced they will be wearing their powder blue throwback uniforms for select home "Throwback Thursday's" games.

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/phillies-sport-powder-blue-uniforms-select-2018-games

18 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It is weird.  And the Phillies are going to engage in the same kind of weirdness this year, dates to be announced.

From a consumer's side, I'm interested in seeing which hat they go with...big logo/small logo and batterman/no batterman.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

FWIW, I always think of the Rockies and Marlins together, since they were the first MLB expansion pair of my lifetime, and that was a huge deal at the time.

While the Blue Jays / Mariners expansion was the first that I remember (the 1969 expansion having occurred in my lifetime, but before I was aware of baseball), the Marlins/Rockies expansion was the first of my adult life. On the day of the expansion draft, I took off from work and had a few people over in order to watch the ESPN coverage. So, yeah, it was a very big deal.

Archived