MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Wha-?

As much as I hate the current identity, that would actually be an upgrade. The cap logo is the least-worst thing about it.  Do you have a source on that?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

That's seriously A LOT of teams changing their primary to essentially just their cap logo the last several seasons. Pirates, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers, probably others... 

While some are actually an upgrade I don't think I like the trend of losing a full on primary logo to just repeat cap logos. Cap logos are an abbrevation of a full logo. They shouldn't really be the main logo. Looking at a cap logo alone doesn't tell you enough about the team like where they're from, what their actual nickname is, or even what sport they play. Not a good trend IMO. 

27 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

That's seriously A LOT of teams changing their primary to essentially just their cap logo the last several seasons. Pirates, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers, probably others... 

While some are actually an upgrade I don't think I like the trend of losing a full on primary logo to just repeat cap logos. Cap logos are an abbrevation of a full logo. They shouldn't really be the main logo. Looking at a cap logo alone doesn't tell you enough about the team like where they're from, what their actual nickname is, or even what sport they play. Not a good trend IMO. 

I would agree, except that the nature of a primary logo has changed.  In the past, primary logos were needed for things like letterhead, sleeve patches, print media, and the like.  But in our interwebs age, it's more important that primary logos be adaptable for small sizes, for social media icons.  Makes sense that cap logos, with their bold, clear iconography would become more prominent.

The Rays quietly changed their official primary logo from the Sams Club wannabe...

Tampa_Bay_Rays_logo_20110823074637_320_2

To just the wordmark.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROJAMnd0bIsuoI4UTNaCZ

I believe Chris reported this back when the Rays unveiled the 20th Anniversary details.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I would agree, except that the nature of a primary logo has changed.  In the past, primary logos were needed for things like letterhead, sleeve patches, print media, and the like.  But in our interwebs age, it's more important that primary logos be adaptable for small sizes, for social media icons.  Makes sense that cap logos, with their bold, clear iconography would become more prominent.

Great points but isn't a full on primary logo still necessary for many things? The cap logos can become more prominent for things like social media but I don't think that would eliminate the need to have a proper primary logo. 

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Great points but isn't a full on primary logo still necessary for many things? The cap logos can become more prominent for things like social media but I don't think that would eliminate the need to have a proper primary logo. 

Even if a more detailed logo is better for some applications, there's no reason why that more detailed logo has to be the primary.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:58 PM, tohasbo said:

Only ones known to my knowledge are:

• Tampa Bay: 3/31, 6/9, 6/23, 9/8
  • Arizona: 3/31, 4/19, 5/3, 5/10, 6/14, 7/5, 8/2
  • Philadelphia: Select Thursday home games
  • Miami: June 8-10.

Maybe we see something for the 60th anniversaries of the Giants and Dodgers both moving from their former New York homes but that is unlikely.  Kansas City could have something up their sleeves for their 50th season but that is also unknown right now

Add: San Diego (navy & orange), 6/6. 6/20, 7/11, 8/15, 8/29 plus 6/8-6/10 against the Marlins. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Even if a more detailed logo is better for some applications, there's no reason why that more detailed logo has to be the primary.

Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong but here's why I disagree: Using a cap logo as your primary logo is like always responding with your nickname when being asked "What's your name?"

If someone's name is Nicholas Smith and he only writes "Nick" on an application that asks for his full name, that's not the proper way to answer the question of what's you name. Or if a police officer pulls this guy over and asks for his driver's license and it just says "Nick."

There are times when a nickname (an abbreviated name) is perfectly fine to use and can easily be used more frequently than your full name but your full name still has importance and should always be considered primary over your nickname.

So to bring this analogy back to baseball... when someone sees a team's primary logo, it should tell them as much information as possible about the team which can include team nickname, team city/state/region, and possibly even the sport they play.

If I don't already know who the Milwaukee Brewers are... then this logo...

Milwaukee Brewers (2000 - Pres)... doesn't tell me the information I need to know.

But this logo sure does...

Milwaukee Brewers (2000 - Pres)

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Perhaps.  But this one:

50px-MilwaukeeBrewers_caplogo.svg.png

tells you a lot more than this one:

50px-Milwaukee_Brewers_Logo.svg.png

How so? The bottom one tells me the team is called the Brewers, and that they play baseball and represent the city of Milwaukee.

What does the top logo tell me? How do I know what that M is for and what it represents? 

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

How so? The bottom one tells me the team is called the Brewers, and that they play baseball and represent the city of Milwaukee.

What does the top logo tell me? How do I know what that M is for and what it represents? 

If this were your first time seeing both logos, there’s absolutely no way you’d be able to tell what that thing on the bottom is, especially the baseball and Milwaukee. You only recognize it as the Brewers rounded because you’ve been exposed to it a thousand times (I assume). That’s the point Goth is trying to bring up. 

The part I find strange about this trend is that before, the primary could (usually) work on any color background and not need any recoloring. But these cap logos were designed with that particular background color in mind, and should change when you switch to a lighter background. Maybe I’ve got too much football designer in me, I don’t know. 

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

If this were your first time seeing both logos, there’s absolutely no way you’d be able to tell what that thing on the bottom is, especially the baseball and Milwaukee. You only recognize it as the Brewers rounded because you’ve been exposed to it a thousand times

Huh? But it literally says Milwaukee and it says Brewers and there's clearly a baseball in the logo. How can there be "absolutely no way" you can tell what those things are? All you have to do is look at it and read the words. What am I missing here?

42 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Huh? But it literally says Milwaukee and it says Brewers and there's clearly a baseball in the logo. How can there be "absolutely no way" you can tell what those things are? All you have to do is look at it and read the words. What am I missing here?

I think the point is when it's in a small size like that the text is indecipherable. 

I can't read Milwaukee in that small logo, and I can barely read Brewers, and this is coming from someone who already knows what the logo is. If someone who has never seen it before saw it that small, they may not be able to even see the word Brewers unless they had a magnifying glass. 

27 minutes ago, uniguy22 said:

I think the point is when it's in a small size like that the text is indecipherable. 

Well that's a whole other issue altogether and I don't think that's relevant here. Assuming everything is clear enough to be read there's no way a cap logo gives enough information compared to a complete primary logo. 

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Well that's a whole other issue altogether and I don't think that's relevant here. 

They wouldn't have made the change if it wasn't relevant. Hat logos are better for small graphics that are seen on phone apps.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Well that's a whole other issue altogether and I don't think that's relevant here. Assuming everything is clear enough to be read there's no way a cap logo gives enough information compared to a complete primary logo. 

That's literally what the discussion is. That the primary isn't great for a case where the size is limited to 35 pixels or so, like that shown above.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Not if you can't read it.  You only know that because you already recognize the logo, so the M would work every bit as well.  Of course that's relevant here, since the point of primary logos has evolved to require legibility at small sizes.

Besides, good logos don't have to convey every single piece of information about their subject.  That's what names are for.  :D

1 hour ago, dsaline97 said:

That's literally what the discussion is. That the primary isn't great for a case where the size is limited to 35 pixels or so, like that shown above.

That's not what I was discussing. Gothamite brought up the thing about small size applications, which is fine and which I agreed with. All I've been saying is that I don't think cap logos should be the primary logos, even though they are better in many applications and can definitely be used more frequently than primary logos. 

So a cap logo is better for use on social media and other platforms where it will be seen at a smaller scale? I 100% agree with that. 

But that doesn't mean a cap logo should be the primary logo, in my opinion. 

Who says the logo used on smaller platforms must be the primary logo? I see the Marlins Instagram every single day and all of spring training they've been using their spring training cap logo, not their primary logo.

24 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

All I've been saying is that I don't think cap logos should be the primary logos, even though they are better in many applications and can definitely be used more frequently than primary logos. 

If the cap logos are more versatile, and are better in many applications, why shouldn't they be the primary logos?

This iogo perfectly represents the Yankees.  

300px-NewYorkYankees_caplogo.svg.png

If they feel the need for something more elaborate, then they could use this as an alternate logo.

432px-New-York-Yankees-Logo.svg.png

Everything's on the table, does it really matter what they call that second logo?

Archived