ANGELCAT-IDA61

MLB changes 2018?

Recommended Posts

I'd like this to replace the Friday night O's cap.  From Spring Training today

 

Hunter%20Harvey%20throws%20black.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

I'd like this to replace the Friday night O's cap.  From Spring Training today

 

Hunter%20Harvey%20throws%20black.png

 

That was from the first year they went to the DE 5950s. Those hats are super sharp, and I had hoped they’d be used for the black or orange jerseys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skip88 said:

I like the navy on navy numbers, likewise the angels red on red. Why should numbers for all 30 teams be the same?

 

What does “all the same” have to do with anything?  

 

Numbers the same color as a jersey are oftentimes very hard to read, which is the actual issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

What does “all the same” have to do with anything?  

 

Numbers the same color as a jersey are oftentimes very hard to read, which is the actual issue. 

TV commentators never have a problem with it,  and everyone know who's batting. Players are introduced and there are 1000 inch screens at ballparks.  This  would only be a problem in hockey or soccer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skip88 said:

TV commentators never have a problem with it,  and everyone know who's batting. Players are introduced and there are 1000 inch screens at ballparks.  This  would only be a problem in hockey or soccer.

 

If that’s the case then why have numbers at all, as that relegates their only purpose is to differentiate jerseys for merchandising purposes?

 

i disagree and think that a lot of people still look at the number when turning on a game (I do, if I turn on the game and there’s a guy on 2nd base and I want to know who it is, or if I’m not sure who the pitcher is) or especially when at the park and you want to see who’s warming up in the pen or if you forget who’s on 3rd after 7 straight pitching changes. 

 

Their sole  purpose is for identification - if they can’t be instantly read, then they fail. Color on same color is a fail, even if I actually like it for the Angles. I’d still change it if I was elected god. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weirdly, I don't like the Braves' navy-on-navy numbers and I'm ambivalent about the Angels' red-on-red numbers, but I loved the Giants' black-on-black numbers back in the day.

 

FetFNhy.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Weirdly, I don't like the Braves' navy-on-navy numbers and I'm ambivalent about the Angels' red-on-red numbers, but I loved the Giants' black-on-black numbers back in the day.

 

FetFNhy.jpg

 

Ah, that's the near-invisible gold drop shadow working its magic. It gave the numbers an extra layer of definition against the black background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the same color as the jersey for the numbers isn't ideal for legibility.  Current Angels and Braves, and former Giants all show that the legibility can vary.  An all purpose solution is white, or any contrasting color.

 

gettyimages-664200228-e1492296608524.jpg

 

ap_bbw_30_threebraves_0818_965945.jpg?w=

 

hi-res-dfb5560e25cb351b4f2e7e61cdb32378_

 

justin-maxwell-angel-pagan-mlb-los-angel

 

tim-lincecum-mlb-san-francisco-giants-oa

 

The Braves' is jarring, because red numbers are very doable.  The Angels want to maximize their red usage, so maybe white numbers would make more sense.  Blue would too, but may be more blue than they want in their presentation.  Giants must not have wanted to look like the Marlins or Orioles by putting black numbers on a black background, but eventually succumbed.  Better executed with the extra gold layer than without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

Ah, that's the near-invisible gold drop shadow working its magic. It gave the numbers an extra layer of definition against the black background.

While I agree, I also liked the Heat's alternates that used the same effect without drop shadows.

 

557fyIk.jpg

 

E8a10mK.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Weirdly, I don't like the Braves' navy-on-navy numbers and I'm ambivalent about the Angels' red-on-red numbers, but I loved the Giants' black-on-black numbers back in the day.

 

FetFNhy.jpg

 

 

It's the opposite for me. I know it's not a typical look, but it's kinda cool the way the white pops off the navy. You can make out the numbers just fine. The Giants' numbers are a little harder to make out.

 

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, daveindc said:

 

 

It's the opposite for me. I know it's not a typical look, but it's kinda cool the way the white pops off the navy. You can make out the numbers just fine. The Giants' numbers are a little harder to make out.

 

Related image

 

We might need to decipher the jersey numbers, @daveindc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I don't mind it for baseball, but it's a football "no-no"

Agreed, in baseball it's not a big deal because you know who is supposed to be where

 

 

as much as I'm not a fan of the Giants, this thread reminds me that they are a very good looking team (still only 2nd best looking in the Bay Area but who's counting)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My .02. I’m not a same color number-jersey fan. I can somewhat get the rays-angels reason because it’s like they only have one jersey template, but just change the color of the jersey itself. Granted, the angels would look better with white numbers-letters and rays with Columbia. The other examples are big upgrades like the giants using orange, rather than black numbers. My head scratcher is the braves. I think they actually use more red in their uniforms with letters-numbers and the bigger pant stripes and then the blue alt barely uses red anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I don't mind it for baseball, but it's a football "no-no"

 

A no-no indeed, buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this talk about ST jersey numbers and I just noticed yesterday that the Cubs don't have all white names and numbers, they have red names and numbers. That's the only team I've noticed not using the white ones. It looks decent for them but I wonder why no other teams changed their color...

Image result for chicago cubs spring training 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New advertisement for Marlins caps/opening day shows the smaller logo... though when I click the link and it takes me to the shop the product images still look like the bigger ones... what a mystery... there's a million signs that the cap logo has shrunk yet there isn't one definitive conclusive answer yet...

4982487911525772554

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 11:34 AM, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Using the same color as the jersey for the numbers isn't ideal for legibility.  Current Angels and Braves, and former Giants all show that the legibility can vary.  An all purpose solution is white, or any contrasting color.

 

gettyimages-664200228-e1492296608524.jpg

 

ap_bbw_30_threebraves_0818_965945.jpg?w=

 

 

 

 

2 off topic points:

 

1) Wow, Dansby has some great hair.  Solid lettuce.  Would trade mine for his if I could.

 

2) Never realized how much Glavine looks like Michael Fassbender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 7:36 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

 

If that’s the case then why have numbers at all, as that relegates their only purpose is to differentiate jerseys for merchandising purposes?

 

i disagree and think that a lot of people still look at the number when turning on a game (I do, if I turn on the game and there’s a guy on 2nd base and I want to know who it is, or if I’m not sure who the pitcher is) or especially when at the park and you want to see who’s warming up in the pen or if you forget who’s on 3rd after 7 straight pitching changes. 

 

Their sole  purpose is for identification - if they can’t be instantly read, then they fail. Color on same color is a fail, even if I actually like it for the Angles. I’d still change it if I was elected god. 

If I was elected god I'd do the same and I'd end the practice of everyone wearing 42 for Jackie Robinson Day. If everyone can wear the same number then what's the point of different numbers at all? Put a patch on the chest or sleeve and honor him that way. 

 

I found myself at the ballpark for that game in back to back years and it was very annoying to watch both times. I don't know all the Phillies players by face and body. Hell, it's early in the season, I don't recognize everybody on the Reds by face and body yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I found myself at the ballpark for that game in back to back years and it was very annoying to watch both times. I don't know all the Phillies players by face and body. Hell, it's early in the season, I don't recognize everybody on the Reds by face and body yet.

 

I would bet that Jackie Robinson Day is "Bring Your Best Binoculars Day" or "Call the Dugout Day" in the pressbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now