MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

26 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I'd end the practice of everyone wearing 42 for Jackie Robinson Day. If everyone can wear the same number then what's the point of different numbers at all?

I could be wrong but you're using a once a season special event to say that there's no point in different numbers the rest of the season? I don't get that. 

I get why some people don't like the Jackie Robinson thing but I absolutely understand the point of it and the message it's trying to send... that we're all equal and every one is on the same level and on that specific day, and on that day only, they're literally showing it through the use of Jackie's number on everyone. It makes perfect sense to me. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlins new ownership has started a "listening campaign" to get increased fan feedback with surveys, social media polls, video testimonial booths, etc etc and the first social media poll was whether or not the home jerseys should say Miami or Marlins across the front... first sign of a uniform overhaul down the line. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I could be wrong but you're using a once a season special event to say that there's no point in different numbers the rest of the season? I don't get that. 

No I'm saying everyone wearing the same number highlights the importance of using different numbers. 

I get why some people don't like the Jackie Robinson thing but I absolutely understand the point of it and the message it's trying to send... that we're all equal and every one is on the same level and on that specific day, and on that day only, they're literally showing it through the use of Jackie's number on everyone. It makes perfect sense to me. 

There's more than a few ways to honor a great man that don't create a difficult viewing experience for the fan. A jersey patch, maybe a couple throwbacks, maybe everyone wears 42 on the front of their jersey, the number being retired in every single stadium is a big deal. I think they went a step too far with the 42 thing and they won't be able to go back now. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

According to the Marlins radio announcer Dave Van Horne, the team will not be wearing their red-orange Sunday home alternate jerseys at all during the 2018 season. That's a pretty significant change and tells me a lot about how things could change as far as a uniform rebrand down the line. Pretty stunned about this as I loved that jersey. Shocked they'd drop it before any uniform overhaul too.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

New advertisement for Marlins caps/opening day shows the smaller logo... though when I click the link and it takes me to the shop the product images still look like the bigger ones... what a mystery... there's a million signs that the cap logo has shrunk yet there isn't one definitive conclusive answer yet...

Credit to Instagram user :@cg_caps for the pic

Marlins Park Team Store

25iatc7.jpg

22 minutes ago, DIYsportsguy said:

I wish the Tigers would have got that memo about shrinking cap logos. The Marlin cap looks better with the smaller logo.

The larger Tigers logo might be about the same size as the smaller Marlins logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

34 minutes ago, DIYsportsguy said:

I wish the Tigers would have got that memo about shrinking cap logos. The Marlin cap looks better with the smaller logo.

Yeah, the D before was waaaaaay too small. It's now about the size of a most cap logos . 

11 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The larger Tigers logo might be about the same size as the smaller Marlins logo.

^^^^^^^^^^ 

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

According to the Marlins radio announcer Dave Van Horne, the team will not be wearing their red-orange Sunday home alternate jerseys at all during the 2018 season. That's a pretty significant change and tells me a lot about how things could change as far as a uniform rebrand down the line. Pretty stunned about this as I loved that jersey. Shocked they'd drop it before any uniform overhaul too.

Wow!

Aesthetically Miami looks better across the chest with the current look. But if any rebrand involves modernizing the 93-2011 look I'd say go 'Marlins' at home.

1997 | 2003

What sucked the first time? 

mlb_g_conine_sq_300_medium.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

mlb_g_conine_sq_300_medium.jpg

I'd still like his answer since he's the one that said it but that jersey didn't suck. That F logo is amazing and looks great anywhere. That's an underrated alternate that sadly wasn't worn enough. Was it too much like the Yankees? Yea of course it was. But some think that "looking like the Yankees while not being the Yankees" means something isn't good but that's not always the case, especially here. 

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I'd still like his answer since he's the one that said it but that jersey didn't suck. That F logo is amazing and looks great anywhere. That's an underrated alternate that sadly wasn't worn enough. Was it too much like the Yankees? Yea of course it was. But some think that "looking like the Yankees while not being the Yankees" means something isn't good but that's not always the case, especially here. 

I would've liked a chest number on the left just to differentiate from the Yankees a bit more (yes, it trips up a bit on the White Sox, but that's ultimately a less iconic jersey design), but still, I think those are superior uniforms to what the Marlins are currently wearing. Very dignified and more cohesively designed, even if only because it was aping the most iconic uniform design in baseball.

We disagree on several points.

1.  I do like the F logo, but in general I don't think mascot-based logos belong on the chest.  I think it looks amateurish.

2.  There's only the slightest hint of teal in the uniform - it's way too black and white not only for a Florida team, but for a team that's identity was built around the color.

3.  In various articles I read while searching for the pic, it was literally designed to be "Yankees dress up".  IMO it's too conservative of a uniform for that team, especially when they had great uniforms ('97 set) that had great color balance and a traditional look that still had some flair.

4.  "looking like the Yankees while not being the Yankees" isn't good, because it means you're not confident enough in who you are so you need to emulate someone else.  There's ways to take inspiration from another club and their traditions without straight-up trying to look exactly like them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

That uniform wasn't amazing by any means, but I don't think it sucked. It would have been better with teal pinstripes.

Single teal, or teal-white-black, headspoon piping would have been pretty cool, plus a bigger chest logo and a number opposite.

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

4.  "looking like the Yankees while not being the Yankees" isn't good, because it means you're not confident enough in who you are so you need to emulate someone else.  There's ways to take inspiration from another club and their traditions without straight-up trying to look exactly like them.

Aka, why everyone hates the Padres navy/white/gray.

Archived