MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

I'm unbelievably late to this discussion, but I think Miller Park might've been my least favorite ballpark to watch a game at--and this is coming from an A's fan who has had to stare at the monstrous Mount Davis since my childhood.

At least with a bad open stadium, you're still outdoors. At Miller Park, I felt like I was in a vacated Amazon warehouse.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I'm unbelievably late to this discussion, but I think Miller Park might've been my least favorite ballpark to watch a game at--and this is coming from an A's fan who has had to stare at the monstrous Mount Davis since my childhood.

At least with a bad open stadium, you're still outdoors. At Miller Park, I felt like I was in a vacated Amazon warehouse.

Then I hope you never go to the Trop... Miller Park is a work of art compared to this :censored:hole.

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

Then I hope you never go to the Trop... Miller Park is a work of art compared to this :censored:hole.

Was just coming to say this. Cant believe this conversation went this long without mentioning the Trop. Just a giant warehouse with the worst turf I've ever seen.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

If both games have that jersey, then it's a good bet those are the jerseys (which are a bit overdesigned, but cool).

I'd bet a lot of money the caps will be different. Maybe they will be Expo-y, but we've yet to see "American" and "National" as the logos on the caps for any ASG.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 minutes ago, jayjackson3 said:

I believe 'American' and 'National' were used for the cap logos when the All-Star Game was in San Francisco. 

Yep - good call. Maybe with another ASG after that...but NE realized they could make a lot more money with team-based hats.

july-9th-2007-san-francisco-ca-usa-the-a

23 hours ago, Digby said:

My complaint with the retractable roof thing is, even when they have retracted, most of them are so huge and dominating that it still feels like you're playing baseball in a deep canyon, or at the bottom of a well. Safeco and Minute Maid seem less bad in this respect.

My wife and I went to a game at Chase and she is not a baseball fan and even she said it was strange watching baseball inside and it felt "off". 

12 hours ago, Digby said:

Minute Maid looks great from right field! Its looming-roof effect is very lopsided. (But yeah, still a lot better than the Miller Park type.)

minute_maid_parking_parking3-1.jpg

I wish more ballparks built their roofs behind the 1st base or 3rd base stands, rather than in the more visible outfield position. Marlins Park got that right, as I believe the new Rangers ballpark is doing. Having it on the infield side helps obscure the roof a bit more when closed.

Chase Field and Miller Park definitely have the worst retractable roof designs for baseball. Neither stadium ever feels truly open-air, even when their roofs are open. Minute Maid, Safeco, Marlins, etc., actually feel open-air when their roofs are open.

19 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Image result for safeco field

Seattle looks good open 

Safeco Field is totally different.  It actually is an open air stadium, and the roof is more like an umbrella, it covers the ballpark but doesn’t enclose it, so it’s protected from the rain but still technically outdoors.

12 hours ago, jp1409 said:

The Trop feels like an indoor flea market that most of the vendors closed up early for the day. 

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I know Miller Park is one of the more unique of the retractable roof parks, but I was seriously surprised when I looked at pictures and found how dismal the night-time closed-roof shot was.  The thing that doubles this air is the dark color palette.    The Metrodome looks a bit more lively because of all of the white and blue as well as half the outfield having fans on them.  Tropicana also has a brighter palette, but the lighting just seems to be dimmer for some reason.

I've never personally been in an indoor park, so I'm just going off of images and video.  But I just can't imagine not feeling the wind run through the seats at a game.  Of course, when you're in handicapped seats in the upper deck of Citi Field and you have a stiff, frigid wind coming off the water and into your back the entire game, a roof sounds pretty good.  XD

14 hours ago, kroywen said:

I wish more ballparks built their roofs behind the 1st base or 3rd base stands, rather than in the more visible outfield position. Marlins Park got that right, as I believe the new Rangers ballpark is doing. Having it on the infield side helps obscure the roof a bit more when closed.

Chase Field and Miller Park definitely have the worst retractable roof designs for baseball. Neither stadium ever feels truly open-air, even when their roofs are open. Minute Maid, Safeco, Marlins, etc., actually feel open-air when their roofs are open.

Hmm...  It's tough.  I'd think that outfield coverage would be better, because while it's looming in view, you don't feel it looming over you.  When it's over the outfield, the rest of it looks more like a regular park.  It also keeps the shadows from becoming too troubling if the park is oriented to keep the sun out of the eyes of the fans in the richer seats.

I honestly think the one that does it best is the first (that worked).

toronto-blue-jays-skydome.jpg

20090612skydome.jpg

Although as was mentioned earlier, Marlins Park looks beautiful thanks to a really bright material and all of that (openable) glass.  Of course, that may be a camera trick and the roof may feel more oppressive than it seems.  The walls are crap, though.  Thank goodness for that Budweiser ad that made that whole wall red.

Marlins_First_Pitch_at_Marlins_Park,_Apr

What are all of your opinions of most successful retractable roof park?  We've been crapping on them for several pages, why not be interesting?

EDIT: Was writing this at 5AM, and didn't finish all my thoughts apparently.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I know Miller Park is one of the more unique of the retractable roof parks, but I was seriously surprised when I looked at pictures and found how dismal the night-time closed-roof shot was.  The thing that doubles this air is the dark color palette.    The Metrodome looks a bit more lively because of all of the white and blue as well as half the outfield having fans on them.  Tropicana also has a brighter palette, but the lighting just seems to be dimmer for some reason.

I've never personally been in an indoor park, so I'm just going off of images and video.  But I just can't imagine not feeling the wind run through the seats at a game.  Of course, when you're in handicapped seats in the upper deck of Citi Field and you have a stiff, frigid wind coming off the water and into your back the entire game, a roof sounds pretty good.  XD

Hmm...  It's tough.  I'd think that outfield coverage would be better, because while it's looming in view, you don't feel it looming over you.  When it's over the outfield, the rest of it looks more like a regular park.  It also keeps the shadows from becoming too troubling if the park is oriented to 

I honestly think the one that does it best is the first (that worked).

Although as was mentioned earlier, Marlins Park looks beautiful thanks to a really bright material and all of that (openable) glass.  Of course, that may be a camera trick and the roof may feel more oppressive than it seems.  The walls are crap, though.  Thank goodness for that Budweiser ad that made that whole wall red.

What are all of your opinions of most successful retractable roof park?  We've been crapping on them for several pages, why not be interesting?

I always thought SkyDome was one of the cooler stadiums (probably nostalgia, especially since I think SkyDome was a far better name); and I've always enjoyed the green walls and blue seats at Marlins Park. It'd be a lot more dull with forest green or black seats. Palm tree green is perfect for the walls.

Paul Lukas published his MLB preview on ESPN, and he noted the Phillies' throwback dates were TBD. From the team's promotion schedule, it looks like the throwback days are 

• Thursday, April 26 vs. Arizona Diamondbacks
  • Thursday, May 10 vs. San Francisco Giants
  • Thursday, June 14 vs. Colorado Rockies
  • Thursday, June 28 vs. Washington Nationals

Wearing throwbacks against those teams is kinda odd to me, since three of the teams weren't around around when the Phils wore the powder blue. (And will we see the 1983-93 Giants throwbacks, which might be the white version on the road?)

24 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I think you can count on two hands the times that the roof has been open at Marlins Park

I've been there about twelve times, cool spring nights, reasonably hot summer nights, never any chance of rain and even though I always hoped for an opened roof it never happened...

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Safeco. Easily Safeco. Granted, I think the "umbrella" design contributes a lot to that - it feels more open and airy than any other retractable roof parks. But even aside from that, the way the roof slopes, it's less looming and imposing when the roof is open.

The two runners-up are Minute Maid and Marlins Park. I actually really liked Minute Maid when I was there, and I went on a steaming hot Texas afternoon with the roof closed (in mid-May ;)). The left field view of the city, which remains large intact with the roof closed, contributes so much to that ballpark.But I found it to be a really pleasant park overall, even with the roof closed. Haven't been to Marlins Park, but it's another one that seems like it 'feels' more open than it really is.

Of the other two I've been to, SkyDome felt more open than I expected it to, but the shadows from the roof loom quite large when open. Miller Park, on the other hand, miserably failed. Probably the worst of the post-Camden ballparks I've been to. It is an airport hanger. Super-interesting from an engineering perspective, but awful from a baseball perspective.

Archived