MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

4 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I know Miller Park is one of the more unique of the retractable roof parks, but I was seriously surprised when I looked at pictures and found how dismal the night-time closed-roof shot was.  The thing that doubles this air is the dark color palette.    The Metrodome looks a bit more lively because of all of the white and blue as well as half the outfield having fans on them.  Tropicana also has a brighter palette, but the lighting just seems to be dimmer for some reason.

I've never personally been in an indoor park, so I'm just going off of images and video.  But I just can't imagine not feeling the wind run through the seats at a game.  Of course, when you're in handicapped seats in the upper deck of Citi Field and you have a stiff, frigid wind coming off the water and into your back the entire game, a roof sounds pretty good.  XD

Hmm...  It's tough.  I'd think that outfield coverage would be better, because while it's looming in view, you don't feel it looming over you.  When it's over the outfield, the rest of it looks more like a regular park.  It also keeps the shadows from becoming too troubling if the park is oriented to 

I honestly think the one that does it best is the first (that worked).

toronto-blue-jays-skydome.jpg

20090612skydome.jpg

Although as was mentioned earlier, Marlins Park looks beautiful thanks to a really bright material and all of that (openable) glass.  Of course, that may be a camera trick and the roof may feel more oppressive than it seems.  The walls are crap, though.  Thank goodness for that Budweiser ad that made that whole wall red.

Marlins_First_Pitch_at_Marlins_Park,_Apr

What are all of your opinions of most successful retractable roof park?  We've been crapping on them for several pages, why not be interesting?

I've been to 23 MLB stadiums (20 currents) but only five with a roof. As for me, Montreal and Tampa would be dead last with Pro Player stadium (Florida Marlins) by a wide margin. Miami and Toronto also in my bottom seven with US Cellular and Turner Field. Miller Park would be somewhere around 13-15th probably beating out the new Yankees stadium, the old Tigers stadium and Cincinnati. Outdoor parks are tough to beat.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I think you can count on two hands the times that the roof has been open at Marlins Park

WHich is why the talk we are hearing about the potential new Rays stadium in Tampa is that it would be a fixed roof, possibly using the Vikings stadium roof material being looked at.

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I always thought SkyDome was one of the cooler stadiums (probably nostalgia, especially since I think SkyDome was a far better name); and I've always enjoyed the green walls and blue seats at Marlins Park. It'd be a lot more dull with forest green or black seats. Palm tree green is perfect for the walls.

Forest green would be dull, but the current green looks like a green screen they were planning on putting a real outfield wall over in post.  And are they really calling that "palm tree green", because I've never seen that color occur in nature let alone on a palm tree.  They had two much better alternatives.  They could have gone with the team's iconic aqua that was the color of their old home's walls.  The team isn't using that color, but they're not using the green either and the aqua has a link to their ocean-side location.  They could also use their current blue.  Both would be very bright and interesting without being obnoxious.

4 hours ago, jp1409 said:

I've been to 23 MLB stadiums (20 currents) but only five with a roof. As for me, Montreal and Tampa would be dead last with Pro Player stadium (Florida Marlins) by a wide margin. Miami and Toronto also in my bottom seven with US Cellular and Turner Field. Miller Park would be somewhere around 13-15th probably beating out the new Yankees stadium, the old Tigers stadium and Cincinnati. Outdoor parks are tough to beat.

Okay.  Gotta hear how you rank the parks in a way that ends up with Miller above those three.

54 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

WHich is why the talk we are hearing about the potential new Rays stadium in Tampa is that it would be a fixed roof, possibly using the Vikings stadium roof material being looked at.

Well, giving fans the open-air experience isn't the only use of a retractable-roof park.  Even if you never open the roof for games (and some, such as Astros fans, prefer it that way for intimidation purposes), having the ability to leave the roof open all day gives you the ability to have natural grass.  The only one that doesn't is Rogers Centre, presumably because of how many different things are done on that field.  It might save enough money for the team to be able to afford the new home, but getting rid of that turf would be a boon.  It's so much easier on players' bodies and plays less havoc with the bounce of the ball.  I remember hearing Reyes was going to the Blue Jays and thinking it was the stupidest idea I've ever heard.  Sure enough, after putting the guy with leg problems on turf he barely lasted a month before getting injured.

spacer.png

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Forest green would be dull, but the current green looks like a green screen they were planning on putting a real outfield wall over in post.  And are they really calling that "palm tree green", because I've never seen that color occur in nature let alone on a palm tree.  They had two much better alternatives.  They could have gone with the team's iconic aqua that was the color of their old home's walls.  The team isn't using that color, but they're not using the green either and the aqua has a link to their ocean-side location.  They could also use their current blue.  Both would be very bright and interesting without being obnoxious.

I made up the "palm tree green" term, as it's not that uncommon of a color in warm climates. 

palm-trees.jpg

Loria hated the teal, so I doubt he would have used teal walls, plus they probably wanted to get away from the look of the old stadium. Current blue would have been okay, and maybe they should have done the seats in current blue instead of the tad-darker blue the seats are now. But clearly they were going for palms/sky/ocean feel.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Loria hated the teal, so I doubt he would have used teal walls, plus they probably wanted to get away from the look of the old stadium. Current blue would have been okay, and maybe they should have done the seats in current blue instead of the tad-darker blue the seats are now. But clearly they were going for palms/sky/ocean feel.

That beautiful shade of blue should be upgraded to their primary color, and put up on the walls. It would look a hell of a lot better than that weird green screen they have right now.

26 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I made up the "palm tree green" term, as it's not that uncommon of a color in warm climates. 

palm-trees.jpg

2229-1261360482-462240c1eabc19a9984d6c8b

Palm fronds go through a lot of different colors between green and yellow, but none quite like those walls, and if so, not large enough to be prominent.

Superman-Chroma-Key.jpg

It's a shame about Loria hating teal, but... who knows what will come with the new ownership?

0jlHBol.png

hQknTjG.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

56 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Okay.  Gotta hear how you rank the parks in a way that ends up with Miller above those three.

Well there you go sir. Keep in mind I'm talking about the ones I've attended a game at. Also, I'm grouping these in no particular order.

My top four :

Fenway

PNC

Wrigley

Camden Yards

5-6 :

Busch

Dodger Stadium

7-8 :

Kauffman

Comerica

9-12 :

Philly

Citi Field

Nationals

Progressive

13-16 :

Miller

Great American

Tigers Stadium (I loved that old school dump)

New Yankees Stadium (would certainly have preferred the real one)

17-18 :

Marlins Park

Toronto

19-20 :

Turner Field

US Cellular

21-23 :

Pro Player

Montreal

Trop

43 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Well there you go sir. Keep in mind I'm talking about the ones I've attended a game at. Also, I'm grouping these in no particular order.

Heh.  I didn't mean the list, but the criteria.  The "how" you rank them.  Because the list of places you ranked lower confused me a bit.  Do you just go on the aesthetics?  The history?  The amenities and convenience.  Because I could see you slamming Yankee Stadium for replacing a jewel box, but you also ranked classic Tiger Stadium that low (which actually confuses me more with you saying it's beloved to you.  And then how does Fenway top the list when it somehow manages to both sell its soul to modernity and be an inconvenient dump.  XD

But, different strokes for different folks.  Like I said, I wanted to hear your criteria.  Maybe you're a mascot/entertainment guy, which would severely help Miller Park.  Maybe you're a food guy.  Maybe you're a value (price-wise) guy.  Maybe you take into account the scenery and dislike Great American's dark hills across the river.  Maybe you measure all these things against each other to get to a score so that even if a park excels at one of these things if it's lacking in others the score gets dragged down.  Or maybe you just had better experiences at one and had an extremely bad time at another.

I don't know, but this kind of thing interests me so I'd love to hear.

spacer.png

spacer.png

17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I always thought SkyDome was one of the cooler stadiums (probably nostalgia, especially since I think SkyDome was a far better name); and I've always enjoyed the green walls and blue seats at Marlins Park. It'd be a lot more dull with forest green or black seats. Palm tree green is perfect for the walls.

I always looked at the wall as a more fun, vibrant option than the typical dark green. It fits with the vibrant look of the stadium. It's always been a popular color with athletics in general.

Related image9b76b6a41ba8080f42f0288f1032e316.jpg

Image result for nerf lime greenImage result for lime green blue soccer jersey

That photo shop with the blue wall that @Silent Wind of Doom posted looks good too. The teal wall doesn't fit.

6 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Heh.  I didn't mean the list, but the criteria.  The "how" you rank them.  Because the list of places you ranked lower confused me a bit.  Do you just go on the aesthetics?  The history?  The amenities and convenience.  Because I could see you slamming Yankee Stadium for replacing a jewel box, but you also ranked classic Tiger Stadium that low (which actually confuses me more with you saying it's beloved to you.  And then how does Fenway top the list when it somehow manages to both sell its soul to modernity and be an inconvenient dump.  XD

But, different strokes for different folks.  Like I said, I wanted to hear your criteria.  Maybe you're a mascot/entertainment guy, which would severely help Miller Park.  Maybe you're a food guy.  Maybe you're a value (price-wise) guy.  Maybe you take into account the scenery and dislike Great American's dark hills across the river.  Maybe you measure all these things against each other to get to a score so that even if a park excels at one of these things if it's lacking in others the score gets dragged down.  Or maybe you just had better experiences at one and had an extremely bad time at another.

I don't know, but this kind of thing interests me so I'd love to hear.

Let's say I "measure all these things" as you said. I mean, I surely have to take into account the aesthetics, history, convenience, scenary, food, experience, these are pretty much the criterias for such a thing... Let's be honest, I loved Tigers Stadium but the ones I ranked in front are great baseball stadiums that I just can't put lower in such a listing... Tigers stadium wasn't convenient and was right in the ghetto but it was for me a great old school stadium anyway, the ones I put in front are simply better all in all. I know you're a Yanks fan but as far as aesthetics, history, scenary (and mid-level food) Fenway (which is in my top four, not necessarily first) is absolutely great. Miller is more about experience, convenience and food, I know it's not downtown, doesn't really have any history and looks kinda weird but the tailgates, fans, easy access and food are still pretty good and that's enough to be in front of my bottom 7.

On 3/21/2018 at 10:31 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

It's not just you, but I don't think it died with the Kingdome

But the tresses and curves kinda remind me more of Safeco.

092909-17.jpg

First off, the Blofeld reference for Chase Field is amazing! Regarding Miller Park, I always thought it was depressing on TV as it usually looks dark and has shadows, when I went to a mid summer day game there, I was pleasantly surprised by how much lighter it felt than on TV. Still not an outdoor park, but better than I was expecting.

The part that got my attention was Seattle. As a native to the PNW, I used to go to M's games in college and buy the left field bleachers for like $15. We'd go after class on a Tuesday and the like. Early in the season, there were games where we would get rained on since the roof doens't actually enclose the ballpark. We'd be out there in thick jackets to try and stay warm and try and move to better seats since the wind would carry the rain in and sometimes would hit the entire LF bleacher area. I now live in sunny San Diego and was actually clamoring to go home for an early season, closed roof game at Safeco Field. Do I prefer the open roof, absolutely, but there's something great about a dark, ominous sky in the background with rain pouring down and you sitting in the little bubble watching baseball that I love. I also the Safeco does a great job of converting to an open air ballpark, unlike some of the others mentioned.

SEAsig.png

On 3/23/2018 at 10:27 AM, KGeeX5 said:

Marlins Park isnt too bad when the roof and windows open. 

I cant defend the statue or bright green though...

marlins%20park%20(2).JPG

pic.PNG

I feel like I've never seen Miami's roof open. Are there charts about how often (and when) places keep their roofs open?

48 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

I feel like I've never seen Miami's roof open.

It is so uncommon that it turns into the second coming of Jesus Christ on social media when it does happen... I'd say the Florida Power & Light bill probably ended up too high for Loria's taste when they opened and closed it too often.

6 hours ago, benpc21 said:

Regarding Miller Park, I always thought it was depressing on TV as it usually looks dark and has shadows, when I went to a mid summer day game there, I was pleasantly surprised by how much lighter it felt than on TV. Still not an outdoor park, but better than I was expecting.

My thoughts exactly

9 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Is there a reason why the open roofs typically hang over the bleachers in the outfield? Wouldn't it be more aesthetically pleasing to have it behind the plate, opening up the entire outfield?

I think it just depends on the layout of the ballpark site and which way it faces.

13 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Is there a reason why the open roofs typically hang over the bleachers in the outfield? Wouldn't it be more aesthetically pleasing to have it behind the plate, opening up the entire outfield?

I don’t think so.  I think it makes the outside of the stadium look uglier to have the roof looming over the 1st or 3rd base side of the stadium.  Those parts are usually the best looking parts of the ballpark and serve as the “front” and the parts that they show most often in pictures and on TV, so having the roof there would ruin it. The outfield is usually the less aesthetically pleasing part of a stadium so I think it’s better to have to roof there.  It also depends on the the layout and where the views are.  If there are good views throughout the whole outfield then you wouldn’t want the roof blocking them.  But if there’s nothing to see in right field then I think it’s best to put the roof there.

Never been to a stadium with a retractable roof, but the Skydome seems like the best looking one to me.  I've only been to 4 MLB parks and I would rank them

1. Veterans Stadium (The atmosphere was awesome and hardcore)

2. Camden Yards

3. Citizens Bank Park

4. Citi Field

But if I could pick any ballpark to visit it would be Fenway

Archived