MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

15 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Is there a reason why the open roofs typically hang over the bleachers in the outfield? Wouldn't it be more aesthetically pleasing to have it behind the plate, opening up the entire outfield?

This is just a guess, but it could have to do with machinery and supports that need to be where the roof sits when open. It might make it difficult to use the space behind home plate and/or along the baselines for the things that teams normally do there.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlins Park roof was open 6 times in 2017, all were in April or May. I understand everyone wants it open more and I get that but its not just about rain or no rain. The humidity down here makes it uncomfortable to watch a game in sometimes even if it's not a rainy day. I myself and I'm sure many on here wouldn't mind it but the comfort of the general fan can't be forgotten and Ive heard plenty of complaining fans when its too humid and the roof is open. The last time they opened it during a day game? Oh boy were there complaints! 

Next point, not trying to be funny but Marlins Parks roof is actually opened almost daily to let sun and even some rain in for the grass. I bring this up because some have asked why even have a retractable roof if its gonna be closed so often? Well being able to grow real grass is a big thing too. Nobody wants to play on turf anymore. Id take Marlins Park closed for all home games and would still be thankful for the grass.

Lastly about the lime green and the colors in the ballpark... Jeffrey Loria as many of you know is an art dealer and his inspiration for the colors of the ballpark were the paintings of the artist Joan Miro who almost always used a simple color palette of just red, yellow, blue, and green. If you look at his paintings you see the colors of the ballpark and its colored quadrants as well as the lime green as well...

(Hmm having trouble posting pics from my phone for some reason) 

1 hour ago, McGlinchey23 said:

Never been to a stadium with a retractable roof, but the Skydome seems like the best looking one to me.  I've only been to 4 MLB parks and I would rank them

1. Veterans Stadium (The atmosphere was awesome and hardcore)

They should really bring it back. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They should really bring it back. 

I'd be all for it! Although sadly, the atmosphere of the Vet probably wouldn't fly nowadays, which is lame.  Citizens Bank is a mighty fine ballpark aesthetically, but just like every other stadium now it's just a corporate venue with no spontaneity.  When you went to The Vet, you never knew what to expect. ANYTHING could happen. Now I get the feeling that I'll get tackled by security for throwing a peanut. 

On 3/24/2018 at 11:27 PM, jp1409 said:

Let's say I "measure all these things" as you said. I mean, I surely have to take into account the aesthetics, history, convenience, scenary, food, experience, these are pretty much the criterias for such a thing... Let's be honest, I loved Tigers Stadium but the ones I ranked in front are great baseball stadiums that I just can't put lower in such a listing... Tigers stadium wasn't convenient and was right in the ghetto but it was for me a great old school stadium anyway, the ones I put in front are simply better all in all. I know you're a Yanks fan but as far as aesthetics, history, scenary (and mid-level food) Fenway (which is in my top four, not necessarily first) is absolutely great. Miller is more about experience, convenience and food, I know it's not downtown, doesn't really have any history and looks kinda weird but the tailgates, fans, easy access and food are still pretty good and that's enough to be in front of my bottom 7.

Hah!  Yeah, I'm a Yankees fan, but the Fenway comments weren't coming from a place of bias.  I actually put Fenway in my top 4 as well.  But I overly weigh history and uniqueness in my rankings.  SunTrust Park is second or third from the bottom (with Oakland Coliseum being at the bottom) on my list.   Not only does it have little reason for existence, but it feels completely soulless and bland.  Honestly, the new Rangers' ballpark in the works feels much the same.

I've never been there, and I really, really would love to go.  But I've heard a lot of stories from non-locals visiting and having a horrible time with the infrastructure.  Most prominent in my head as I try to remember at the moment is the Chris "Mad Dog" Russo story, but I don't think anyone else would take him as a legitimate source.  XD

That being said, I have some biases, of course.  But I don't think most average fans can get through ranking parks without having some difficulty when it comes to their own.  Yankee Stadium is a large drop from its predecessor in history and acoustics.  Many would say in dimensions too, but I gotta admit the dunks are a whole lot of fun and the original park was built right field over 100' shorter to give them an advantage with Ruth.  It's kind of like how I can't honestly throw my full support behind replay because inside I'll always giggle deliciously at the Jeffrey Maier "home run".  Anyway, it's still the activity I've enjoyed since 1995.  It's still the same fans, the same rendition of "New York, New York" on the organ pre-game, the same subway race, the same Kalinka, Zorbas, and Mexican Hat Dance tunes played between pitches, the same roll call, the same lineup intro themes since I was 8.  It's home.  We had someone just say Veterans Park was the best.  I've heard Mets fans swear by Shea.  It's hard to rank another park above home.   (Also, the new bleachers have incredible views, the expanded food options are cool, and it's beautiful to see the frieze back on the roof.)

But, I also grew up without mascots and what most people would consider entertainment, so I can see Miller Park getting the bump if the game experience is fun.  That's actually why I brought up your method to begin with.  I can see the appeal from the times I've gone to Queens.  It's a fun time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Marlins Park roof was open 6 times in 2017, all were in April or May. I understand everyone wants it open more and I get that but its not just about rain or no rain. The humidity down here makes it uncomfortable to watch a game in sometimes even if it's not a rainy day. I myself and I'm sure many on here wouldn't mind it but the comfort of the general fan can't be forgotten and Ive heard plenty of complaining fans when its too humid and the roof is open. The last time they opened it during a day game? Oh boy were there complaints

Next point, not trying to be funny but Marlins Parks roof is actually opened almost daily to let sun and even some rain in for the grass. I bring this up because some have asked why even have a retractable roof if its gonna be closed so often? Well being able to grow real grass is a big thing too. Nobody wants to play on turf anymore. Id take Marlins Park closed for all home games and would still be thankful for the grass.

Lastly about the lime green and the colors in the ballpark... Jeffrey Loria as many of you know is an art dealer and his inspiration for the colors of the ballpark were the paintings of the artist Joan Miro who almost always used a simple color palette of just red, yellow, blue, and green. If you look at his paintings you see the colors of the ballpark and its colored quadrants as well as the lime green as well...

(Hmm having trouble posting pics from my phone for some reason) 

But what do you think about Jeter saying he wants to open it more during the early and late part of the season? I think most of us understand that it shouldn't be open all summer long. What time of year was that day game you mentioned, and how many people complained about it?

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

Hey where we at on the Skydome switching to grass? Wasn't that supposed to happen for 2018?

That dream seemed to die when Paul Beeston retired; an entirely new front office now,  Mark Shapiro mentioned it wasn't as much of a priority to him.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If anyone complained it was likely those sitting in leftfield or along 3B. The rest of the ballpark is relatively shaded for a 1pm start (65%). I've been in leftfield when the roof is open and it can be difficult to watch the game for a 1pm start. Roof should definitely be open for more 4pm and 7pm starts. There were a few games last year that I wondered why the roof wasn't open. They should experiment with opening the glass curtain with roof closed for more games.

Thursday's game is the earliest Opening Day start time in Marlins Park history. We'll see if they open the roof and how many people complain. 

When the the roof is closed it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. You can't see the city outside. All the highlighter colors and the field feel less vibrant.

1997 | 2003

3 hours ago, daveindc said:

But what do you think about Jeter saying he wants to open it more during the early and late part of the season? I think most of us understand that it shouldn't be open all summer long. What time of year was that day game you mentioned, and how many people complained about it?

I think Jeter is gonna attempt to open it more but still be weary about the humidity. The one game I was referencing was a Sunday 1pm game and it was hot. I think that was an experiment and an exception and won't happen again. For comparison when it was opened for 5 games last May they were evening games with much cooler temperatures. 

Edit: I just remembered for last years world baseball classic I was at the Canada Colombia game and the roof was open and that was an 11 or 11:30 am game and it was pretty muggy and uncomfortable as well. 

Edit: Here's the artwork of Joan Miro, the artist who's main color palette was Jeffrey Loria's inspiration for the colors of Marlins Park. It's beyond simple but this is what Loria was going for in terms of colors...

Image result for joan miro

On 3/25/2018 at 10:12 AM, jp1409 said:

It is so uncommon that it turns into the second coming of Jesus Christ on social media when it does happen... I'd say the Florida Power & Light bill probably ended up too high for Loria's taste when they opened and closed it too often.

And if you look closely, you see these are from Opening Day. Maybe it's an OD gimmick of sorts! I was there once (2015, Game 2 of the season against the Braves) and it was closed... Ugh.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I understand that was what he was going for, but that doesn’t make it any less a failure.   Some references don’t work in a different context, and this is a pretty significant example of how they can fall flat. 

I enjoy Marlins Park but I agree with you in a sense. I was really just showing the inspiration because many don't know about it when it is something that has been specifically stated before. Wasn't exactly defending it. With that said, as I posted those pics I realize the simplicity of that color palette is probably a detriment... Loria easily can say "this is based off Joan Miro" but then you look at it and say well it's still just 4 basic colors, it could have also been based off those cheap crayons they give to kids at your neighborhood franchise restaurants. 

On 3/25/2018 at 10:12 AM, jp1409 said:

It is so uncommon that it turns into the second coming of Jesus Christ on social media when it does happen... I'd say the Florida Power & Light bill probably ended up too high for Loria's taste when they opened and closed it too often.

They've got natural grass.  They can't have natural grass without keeping the roof open for significant time while the team is away and during the day when there are night games.  On the Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz last week they were laughing while recounting a 30-minute rain delay at a game because David Sampson's app said it wasn't going to rain despite dark clouds surrounding them.

It takes a lot of time to close it, so they can't just keep opening and closing it.  They can only to it once a game and everyone has to sit on their hands for thirty minutes.  Because of that I know a number of retractable-roof parks close if there's even a risk of rain.  I'm sure the Marlins were playing it doubly safe after that embarrassment.  It's not a matter of money because if they have natural grass they're already opening and closing it.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I think Jeter is gonna attempt to open it more but still be weary about the humidity. The one game I was referencing was a Sunday 1pm game and it was hot. I think that was an experiment and an exception and won't happen again. For comparison when it was opened for 5 games last May they were evening games with much cooler temperatures. 

Edit: I just remembered for last years world baseball classic I was at the Canada Colombia game and the roof was open and that was an 11 or 11:30 am game and it was pretty muggy and uncomfortable as well. 

Edit: Here's the artwork of Joan Miro, the artist who's main color palette was Jeffrey Loria's inspiration for the colors of Marlins Park. It's beyond simple but this is what Loria was going for in terms of colors...

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I understand that was what he was going for, but that doesn’t make it any less a failure.   Some references don’t work in a different context, and this is a pretty significant example of how they can fall flat. 

Especially since the paintings have two greens and the one they picked isn't even really the color of the walls.

8 hours ago, marlinfan said:

If anyone complained it was likely those sitting in leftfield or along 3B. The rest of the ballpark is relatively shaded for a 1pm start (65%). I've been in leftfield when the roof is open and it can be difficult to watch the game for a 1pm start. Roof should definitely be open for more 4pm and 7pm starts. There were a few games last year that I wondered why the roof wasn't open. They should experiment with opening the glass curtain with roof closed for more games.

Thursday's game is the earliest Opening Day start time in Marlins Park history. We'll see if they open the roof and how many people complain. 

When the the roof is closed it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. You can't see the city outside. All the highlighter colors and the field feel less vibrant.

hE4UuDk.jpg

The one Marlins game I took in was in the right field stands and we stared into the sun.  It was unbearable.  I can see that sucking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The one Marlins game I took in was in the right field stands and we stared into the sun.  It was unbearable.  I can see that sucking.

Did you move to different seats? Seems like I'd take my chances on moving to better seats if my paid seats were horrible.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Especially since the paintings have two greens and the one they picked isn't even really the color of the walls.

And even if he got it right, what the hell does Joan Miró have to do with Miami anyway?  More masturbatory nonsense; I liked it when owners limited it to naming the ballpark after themselves.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

And even if he got it right, what the hell does Joan Miró have to do with Miami anyway?  More masturbatory nonsense; I liked it when owners limited it to naming the ballpark after themselves.

I apparently made up the whole "blue sky and palm trees" theme...but it would have been a way better reason (even if the shades weren't quite exactly the colors of a Biscayne Bay scene).  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Did you move to different seats? Seems like I'd take my chances on moving to better seats if my paid seats were horrible.

Nope.  And I can't for the life of me remember why.  It was 2007.  The place was mostly empty.  Maybe they had security enforcing it.  I dunno.

spacer.png

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Nope.  And I can't for the life of me remember why.  It was 2007.  The place was mostly empty.  Maybe they had security enforcing it.  I dunno.

Security there was crazy. I remember sitting next to about 50 latinos who smuggled in about 500 ziploc bags of popcorn in the bleachers. They had people there the whole damn game trying to confiscate every single one of those as soon they popped out and they never gave up. Some of them tried to get to better seats and they were running after them like they had just carjacked a Ferrari. I missed the whole game laughing at the fat security dudes dealing with these locos.

Archived