MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

2 hours ago, daveindc said:

Interesting recent article on how the White Sox came up with their current look:

https://www.wbez.org/shows/curious-city/who-came-up-with-the-iconic-white-sox-look/d6cae5bb-ed65-4ed0-bb87-b0bb288252e4

How do 22 year olds get executive jobs? ^_^

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite my now annual "hope," my best guess is that the Reds do not change anything on their current set.  Currently, my best hope for tweaks or even a revamp is 2019 (coinciding with the team likely celebrating 150 years in some way).  With my luck, they'll commemorate it all with just a patch...

1 hour ago, Beeperino said:

Despite my now annual "hope," my best guess is that the Reds do not change anything on their current set.  Currently, my best hope for tweaks or even a revamp is 2019 (coinciding with the team likely celebrating 150 years in some way).  With my luck, they'll commemorate it all with just a patch...

Probably a safe bet, with UA taking over the apparel manufacturer in 2019. Any team making edits will likely wait until then.

I expect 2018 to be a quiet season for MLB changes.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Probably a safe bet, with UA taking over the apparel manufacturer in 2019. Any team making edits will likely wait until then.

I expect 2018 to be a quiet season for MLB changes.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. maybe some small tweaks, patches, throwback here and there. Anything major would likely be 2019. 

Unrelated, but could eventually mean something down the line in terms of uniforms... but the sale of the Marlins to the group that includes Derek Jeter has been approved unanimously by the other 29 owners. The sale could officially close on Monday, ironically the very first day of the offseason for the Marlins. 

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

Unrelated, but could eventually mean something down the line in terms of uniforms... but the sale of the Marlins to the group that includes Derek Jeter has been approved unanimously by the other 29 owners. The sale could officially close on Monday, ironically the very first day of the offseason for the Marlins. 

I don't think Derek Jeter's going to pull an Yzerman and try to make the Marlins look like the Yankees...But I wouldn't have thought the Lightning would be the Blue Wings, either.

20 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

That makes me wonder how many teams are going to change in 2019. There were 4 or 5 major changes in the NBA this season with Nike taking over and even more minor changes. Teams like the Padres and Brewers are perfect for UA to just take over and go wild with.

It's hard to imagine MLB doing anything like the NFL or NBA and having several teams overhaul and having someone go "out there" (like Seattle did) just to promote the manufacturer but at this point it would be naive to discount the possibility.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

55 minutes ago, insert name said:

I’m honestly terrified to know what UA has planned. I already don’t like that they’re putting their logo on the chest. 

Other than the logo, about which I'm upset but not livid, I don't see anything drastic happening. If you look at the team UA dresses in college, none of them look all that outlandish, at least from my brief Google search. South Carolina, Boston College, even Maryland don't look too dissimilar from most baseball looks, even if some of their more out-there designs look like MLB BP jerseys from the late 2000s.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

5 hours ago, Matito said:

Other than the logo, about which I'm upset but not livid, I don't see anything drastic happening. If you look at the team UA dresses in college, none of them look all that outlandish, at least from my brief Google search. South Carolina, Boston College, even Maryland don't look too dissimilar from most baseball looks, even if some of their more out-there designs look like MLB BP jerseys from the late 2000s.

Auburn is a good example of UA sticking with tradition for baseball.

36 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Padres owner is holding a town hall meeting with fans tonight and during it he mentioned that the team is going to research "brown vs. blue," with results to be made public. He also said that if changes were to be made, they'd be in 2020.

It kinda sucks they won't make changes in 2019.  Or 2018.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Holy crap.  Caught off guard by the super early next year thread again.  No wonder the current one is so quiet.  Better catch up.

On 9/19/2017 at 3:05 PM, gosioux76 said:

As a fellow Twins fan, you and I share completely divergent views on this. 

• Gold: I really disliked the gold at first, but I've come to love it. And I love that it's only at home to match with Target Field's sandstone features. It doesn't bother me one iota that it doesn't appear on the road uniforms. 
  • Red: The red hats are gorgeous. I own one and it's easily my favorite Twins hat. And the red alternate jerseys are among the best-looking in baseball. They're bright, they're simple, they pair perfectly with the red hat and white pants. I just love them.
  • Throwback: The '60s-era throwbacks are gorgeous. And while I once harbored a hope the Twins would revert to that as their primary look, I've come around on the idea of having a throwback permanently in the regular uniform rotation. If it works in the NBA, I see no reason why it couldn't become a standard for MLB. 
  • The blue alternates: I'd be happy if the Twins ditched the blue road alternates. This look — with the red piping — has run its course. I'd be fine if they only wore their road grays. I'd even entertain the concept of a navy version of  red home alternate, just to see how it looks. (A road version of the throwbacks would be cool, too.) But definitely, no gold on the road. Keep it at home, let the road unis stay the stark navy, red and gray. 

The Twins' red alternate taught me something.  If you're putting a logo on the chest, you need something else.  If it's just a logo alone, it looks like a knockoff jersey.  Something's missing.  If you look at all the famous modern cut instances of that kind of uniform, they either have pinstripes (White Sox, Indians, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Cubs), plack piping (Tigers, Giants, Nationals), or numbering on the opposite side (Reds).  I'd prefer the white wordmark for the red uniforms, but this is definitely workable if we put some piping on it.

Gold is really good looking, but I still can't abide alt cap at home.  Just keep it on the uniforms.  NE logo or squatchee at most on the cap.

On 9/19/2017 at 3:08 PM, gosioux76 said:

Talk about a design challenge. How do you design an alternative for the Indians "with some personality" that doesn't somehow incorporate Native American iconography? It's an impossible task, if you ask me.  

Why can't you incorporate any Native iconography?

On 9/19/2017 at 3:40 PM, -Akronite- said:

I agree wholeheartedly that they can keep both and that the script Cleveland looked bad. The look we have now fairly resembles the 1948 look, which looks great to me. The only challenge is Wahoo. If not for Wahoo/the Indians name in general, this team would probably be lauded as one of the best looks in the MLB right now. It's classic, it's consistent. But it's also... kinda racist.

Nick+Swisher+Cleveland+Indians+Photo+DayJason+Kipnis+Cleveland+Indians+v+Minneso

These are not consistent.  One is bright, colorful, and contrasting.  The other is blurred and drab.  And yes, I understand the differences in lighting between the two, but I was more focused on getting two pictures that would fit side-by-side.

I'm really upset because I took about an hour trying to find my post where I went through showing how much their red-on-blue applications fail spectacularly to read, but for some reason all the embedded images have turned to text.  Really strange.  The point is, if you're going to move forward with this, you need some contrast.  You need an outline on the cap, and you need either a line between on the lettering or to switch the navy and red to match the home wordmark.  The intrinsic struggle people have with the replacement of Wahoo with something much less aesthetically pleasing is encapsulated by looking at that away jersey where the one thing that looks interesting and bright is the patch on the sleeve.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:16 AM, Bucfan56 said:

I, for one, am disappointed that vests are no longer in pro baseball. Some of them looked really sharp. White front panel caps don't bother me too much. 

Actually, my ideal angels set would be their old home vests paired with a white paneled cap. Or, even less popular if an opinion, with a full on WHITE cap. 

This is would be such a simple solution to the Angels problems of logo repetitiveness and kinda looking too much like the Cardinals. 

The Cardinals have a large swatch of yellow across the jersey that makes the two feel very different.  Their caps are also wildly different (white on navy on red vs. reds on navy on white on red).  Then you've got two completely different philosophies on piping and patches.  

That being said, a little navy to break it up couldn't hurt, and we need that athletic gold halo.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:37 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Vest versus sleeveless jersey:

Related image   Related image

While the vest looks better on the A's and on the Pirates, I really like the sleeveless jersey for the Angels.  I don't think it would look good as a true vest.

Sleeveless jerseys look best in pinstripes.  Something about how the more gradual cut runs closer to the lines and sometimes matches it just works to me.

screen-shot-2011-09-09-at-10-01-34-pm.pn

Griffey_uwyj5fpy_0h2rfogb.jpg

What's driving me crazy is that I remember a real old school picture of a player wearing a sleeveless jersey with nothing underneath but his muscles.  It was black and white.  Definitely a sleeveless jersey as the tops of the shoulders pointed out a bit.  But I can't find it anywhere.  Thought it was Frank Robinson, but he wore the banded vest.  Driving me mad.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:43 PM, SFGiants58 said:

The Stars found it:

9963_dallas_stars-alternate-2014.png

Dallas feels way too blueish to me.  Kelly looks green and hunter looks green, but this isn't between them.  It veers towards aqua.

cut.jpg

On 9/23/2017 at 11:35 PM, daveindc said:

coveleski_display_image.jpg?1305031912

2b27ddefa289fc0377dd3b5e579d5412.jpg

2e6870c5b861e7a879e9b82a0f893bc4.jpg

It's a solid, clean look that fits them and is unique in MLB. That is the key here. There's no need to "spice it up".

But... but... none of those are the same C that's in use now.  In fact, the fact that you posted all these and no one's commented on it shows just how generic the mark is.  Nobody even notices if you switch it out with any random block C.

On 9/27/2017 at 3:13 PM, OnWis97 said:

I don't think Derek Jeter's going to pull an Yzerman and try to make the Marlins look like the Yankees...But I wouldn't have thought the Lightning would be the Blue Wings, either.

It's hard to imagine MLB doing anything like the NFL or NBA and having several teams overhaul and having someone go "out there" (like Seattle did) just to promote the manufacturer but at this point it would be naive to discount the possibility.

I wouldn't be surprised at seeing the return of pinstripes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Why can't you incorporate any Native iconography?

Because Natives aren't mascots to be used by non-Natives.  The only possible way to do this would be in conjunction with local tribes, as the Spokane Indians (Texas Rangers affilliate in Class A Northwest League) have done.  But that is not likely in Cleveland.

6 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

What's driving me crazy is that I remember a real old school picture of a player wearing a sleeveless jersey with nothing underneath but his muscles.  It was black and white.  Definitely a sleeveless jersey as the tops of the shoulders pointed out a bit.  But I can't find it anywhere.  Thought it was Frank Robinson, but he wore the banded vest.  Driving me mad.

That would be Ted Kluszewski.

Related image   Related image

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

42 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

But... but... none of those are the same C that's in use now.  In fact, the fact that you posted all these and no one's commented on it shows just how generic the mark is.  Nobody even notices if you switch it out with any random block C.

Long Wind of Doom, look at the cap...

That C was used as their primary logo and on other jerseys as well:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/5783481919/Cleveland_Indians/1919/Cap_Logo#logo_timeline

Last offseason the Diamondbacks dropped the snakeskin pattern from their pants. I think their current look would be greatly improved if this offseason they dropped it from the shoulders. Looks so softball-ish. 

636233237243983430--X7R9864.jpg

knxv paul goldschmidt diamondbacks_1505237033246_66171800_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

696726068.0.jpg

jd-martinez-norm-hall-getty2.jpg

3 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

Arizona  have the worst uniforms in baseball, all 9 of them!

And the worst jersey script as well. Seriously, D-Backs?

I don’t even mind all of the uniforms (I prefer the teal versions). They aren’t perfect, but they are an upgrade over the set they replaced. 

Archived