MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

I’m still in shock as to how much the Tigers downgraded this past offseason. The enlarged “D” on the cap looks like a really bad knockoff and the cap “D” on the chest looks so awful. To me, they went from best look in the majors to...well, really not. 

Congrats on being the new best looking team in baseball, Toronto!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2018 at 4:09 PM, DAKINS24 said:

He retired as a Jay during the current uniform era.  Any reason not to use the Black Jays logo doesn't need to try very hard to be justified. 

I would hardly consider a one-day non-playing contract solely for ceremonial purposes to "justify" using a logo that he never once wore on the field. Roy Halladay did not throw a single pitch in the Jays' current duds. It's totally inaccurate to have the current logo and number font on his banner. The team's identity from when Halladay actually pitched for the Blue Jays might've been far uglier, but for better or worse, it's what he wore as a Jay. Can't retcon that history.

Halladay played in the updated Blue Jays uniform before the Black Jays, so you could use that for greater continuity with the original and neo-retro Blue Jays identities while still being true to his career timeline.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I would hardly consider a one-day non-playing contract solely for ceremonial purposes to "justify" using a logo that he never once wore on the field. Roy Halladay did not throw a single pitch in the Jays' current duds. It's totally inaccurate to have the current logo and number font on his banner. The team's identity from when Halladay actually pitched for the Blue Jays might've been far uglier, but for better or worse, it's what he wore as a Jay. Can't retcon that history.

That would be a false statement.

usa-today-7851411.0.jpg

On 4/12/2018 at 8:05 PM, TheOldRoman said:

Agreed on both points. For some reason, both beltway teams have issues with their scripts and angles. The Baltimore road script had this same problem the first year, then the Orioles just tilted it clockwise, putting the letters on an awkward angle. A random message board slob working on a freeware photo editor can fix both of these teams' script issues in about 20 minutes, yet two major league franchises can't fix this. Insane.

Rotating the script would cause it to break poorly across the placket.  In particular, the dot over the "i" would be split.

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m still in shock as to how much the Tigers downgraded this past offseason. The enlarged “D” on the cap looks like a really bad knockoff and the cap “D” on the chest looks so awful. To me, they went from best look in the majors to...well, really not. 

It's weird how both the hat and the jersey now look like cheap, bootleg, knock offs.... so bad and a double fail which is actually hard to do... 

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Halladay played in the updated Blue Jays uniform before the Black Jays, so you could use that for greater continuity with the original and neo-retro Blue Jays identities while still being true to his career timeline.

He also won his AL Cy Young in the pre-Black Jays uniforms, so there would be another tie-in to using that look for his banner.

12 hours ago, kroywen said:

I would hardly consider a one-day non-playing contract solely for ceremonial purposes to "justify" using a logo that he never once wore on the field. Roy Halladay did not throw a single pitch in an actual game in the Jays' current duds. It's totally inaccurate to have the current logo and number font on his banner. The team's identity from when Halladay actually pitched for the Blue Jays might've been far uglier, but for better or worse, it's what he wore as a Jay. Can't retcon that history.

Fixed it to make it an even truer statement . . . even though it was already true.

10 hours ago, Brown1 said:

That would be a false statement.

usa-today-7851411.0.jpg

The justification is throwing out a first pitch?

giphy.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Phillies have a recent (last 10 years or so) of putting initial patches on their jerseys when people die, with the occasional sleeve patch (Dallas Green, Paul Owens.)  I'm kinda surprised that they haven't done anything for him other than induct him into their wall of fame later this year, considering the best moments of his career were in a Phillies uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Phillies have a recent (last 10 years or so) of putting initial patches on their jerseys when people die, with the occasional sleeve patch (Dallas Green, Paul Owens.)  I'm kinda surprised that they haven't done anything for him other than induct him into their wall of fame later this year, considering the best moments of his career were in a Phillies uniform.

Kind of surprised as well. Thought the Phils would've at least worn a patch with his initials, since the guy was (by all accounts) absolutely beloved by Phillies fans. If Dallas Green and Paul Owens got sleeve patches, I'm really surprised that Halladay didn't.

Have to say, I was a little bit surprised at how subdued and low-key the Jays' ceremony honoring Halladay was. They did it on Opening Day (rather than having a separate "Roy Halladay Day"), and it was over in a blink of an eye. Nice respectful ceremony, but surprised that it didn't get its own day, so to speak.

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

Kind of surprised as well. Thought the Phils would've at least worn a patch with his initials, since the guy was (by all accounts) absolutely beloved by Phillies fans. If Dallas Green and Paul Owens got sleeve patches, I'm really surprised that Halladay didn't.

Have to say, I was a little bit surprised at how subdued and low-key the Jays' ceremony honoring Halladay was. They did it on Opening Day (rather than having a separate "Roy Halladay Day"), and it was over in a blink of an eye. Nice respectful ceremony, but surprised that it didn't get its own day, so to speak.

I wonder if cause of death is part of it?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Fixed it to make it an even truer statement . . . even though it was already true.

The justification is throwing out a first pitch?

giphy.gif

Was I wrong before you edited it? I believe not. He actually threw out one (1) single pitch in that uniform.

3 hours ago, Brown1 said:

Was I wrong before you edited it? I believe not. He actually threw out one (1) single pitch in that uniform.

But not as an active player. That's the point being made. You honor his career as a player, so you take what he wore as a player. Not what he wore that one time in retirement. 

Go A's!

1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

But not as an active player. That's the point being made. You honor his career as a player, so you take what he wore as a player. Not what he wore that one time in retirement. 

I understand that. Lighten up. 

On 4/12/2018 at 8:05 PM, TheOldRoman said:

Agreed on both points. For some reason, both beltway teams have issues with their scripts and angles. The Baltimore road script had this same problem the first year, then the Orioles just tilted it clockwise, putting the letters on an awkward angle. A random message board slob working on a freeware photo editor can fix both of these teams' script issues in about 20 minutes, yet two major league franchises can't fix this. Insane.

I think the O's current road script looks great compared to version 1.0. It kind of went over my head in a thought that they changed in to compliment the new-school cartoon bird. That being said, looking at the original version in the final years of mediocrity:

pitcher-koji-uehara-of-the-baltimore-ori

Looking at this now seems so strange, compared to the newer script:

manny-machado_humce4bqkh3s102kmyzkrzocy.

Tilted? Yes. I'll acknowledge that. To me, it just feels like maybe the first time around, the thought was that the signature underline reached too far down. If that's the case, I agree. Makes for a cleaner look.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

On 3/27/2018 at 12:48 PM, Gothamite said:

i think it’s always great when clubs seek fan feedback.  

That is what’s important. 

Sure is,  who cares about the players,  as long as the music is great no one will notice your AAA team in a MLB ballpark

Archived