Football Fields with Baseball Diamonds

ltjets21

9 minutes ago, insert name said:

So why are they hosting a football game in a baseball stadium when there's a stadium made for football a few blocks down?

University of St. Thomas and Saint John's University is a big Division III football rivalry. Probably wanted to get it some exposure. North Dakota State is scheduled to play Butler there in 2019. 

moss_moon.gif

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Proc said:

detroitlions_63.jpg

Lions games at Tiger Stadium....

I'm one of the few around here old enough to remember the Lions at Tiger Stadium.  I was 7 when they left . . . just old enough to remember watching Thanksgiving Day games from Tiger Stadium.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It's funny to me how fast people in the Bay Area have forgotten that Candlestick Park was built as a baseball stadium.

If you really take a good look at it, the seating configuration for football is an absolute mess. Without the yard lines, it's almost hard to picture where the field is supposed to go in this situation.
Image result for candlestick park baseball football

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

8 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

It's funny to me how fast people in the Bay Area have forgotten that Candlestick Park was built as a baseball stadium.

If you really take a good look at it, the seating configuration for football is an absolute mess. Without the yard lines, it's almost hard to picture where the field is supposed to go in this situation.
Image result for candlestick park baseball football

Anaheim Stadium suffered from the same problem, of course. It was a terrible idea to retrofit those two ballparks - and they were both very much ballparks - to accommodate football. The football sightlines were nothing short of terrible, though that was par for the course in the NFL at the time, given the prevalence of teams playing in baseball stadiums. Those stadiums also became terribly inhospitable to baseball, with cavernous half-empty stadiums for most games. 

It was part of the times - virtually no one was building separate NFL stadiums at the time - but those really might have been the worst examples of multipurpose stadiums ever.

On 9/19/2017 at 5:00 PM, eriqjaffe said:

You can't see the football markings, but here's BC Place hosting a Toronto Blue Jays exhibition game:

bc-place-baseball-mlb.png

Careful!  That's the stadium that ate Edgar Martinez's career as a third baseman.

5 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Baseball at Alamodome...I would’ve loved to have seen this in person. Right field though!

0303E0B5-8A57-4EE6-8ECE-19FB795D8003.jpeg

My friends and I used to play on a field shaped like that.  The rule was any ball hit over the right-field fence was an out.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 hours ago, kroywen said:

If MLB ever wanted a team to even temporarily play at the Alamodome, they would've needed to make all the seats in the first tier in RF retractable (just like the Metrodome). That RF is a complete joke, and wouldn't have been viable even for a couple seasons' worth of home games.

Obviously you couldn't sell the seats in the RF upper deck either, since they wouldn't be able to see half the field. Maybe for playoff games at a steeply discounted rate, but they would've needed to be tarped off during the regular season, a la the Metrodome.

I KNOW the setup is pretty bad, that’s why I’d love to see a game played there. It reminds me of the Dodgers at the LA Coliseum. Interesting ground rules would be in effect.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 9/20/2017 at 8:09 AM, cajunaggie08 said:

I cant find a shot of Mile High Stadium in the football configuration with the baseball diamond visible, but here is how the layout was when they shared a stadium with the Rockies. An entire section of the stadium just moved back to create room for left field.

I tried looking for Mile High too, I did find this youtube vid of them playing The LA Raiders in 1994 in the sweet NFL 75th anniversary throwbacks. Like many of these stadiums Mile High was originally a baseball Stadium. 

1 hour ago, KouPilot said:

I tried looking for Mile High too, I did find this youtube vid of them playing The LA Raiders in 1994 in the sweet NFL 75th anniversary throwbacks. Like many of these stadiums Mile High was originally a baseball Stadium. 

Announcers metions the baseball layout 2:30 into the video.  Criticizing the dirt for poor footing. 

9 hours ago, insert name said:

So why are they hosting a football game in a baseball stadium when there's a stadium made for football a few blocks down?

For the gimmick. It sort of started with the NHL outdoor games, then the stadiums figured they'd open up for other sports as well. I mean, stadiums in the past were multi-purpose because they had to be.

I think the novelty has gotten out of hand, to be honest. In this day and age, there's no reason to host these games at different stadiums when there are perfectly capable facilities nearby. I'm looking at bowl games like the Pinstripe Bowl, Miami Beach Bowl, whatever they play in Tropicana, etc.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

On 9/21/2017 at 7:31 PM, slapshot said:

For the gimmick. It sort of started with the NHL outdoor games, then the stadiums figured they'd open up for other sports as well. I mean, stadiums in the past were multi-purpose because they had to be.

I think the novelty has gotten out of hand, to be honest. In this day and age, there's no reason to host these games at different stadiums when there are perfectly capable facilities nearby. I'm looking at bowl games like the Pinstripe Bowl, Miami Beach Bowl, whatever they play in Tropicana, etc.

I think the gimmick works well enough when the venue has some sort of history or something special about it, like Fenway or Wrigley.  Yankee Stadium kinda counts, but only because they mimicked old Yankee Stadium in the design.  Places like Tropicana Field have a lot less to lean on there.

...and this is stretching the thread a bit, but here's a picture of the 1932 NFL Championship game, which had to be held indoors at Chicago Stadium due to a blizzard and forecast cold temperatures.  The Bears and Cardinals had played an exhibition game at the Stadium a couple years prior, but this is the first (and only) game that actually counted played on an 60-yard field (80 including the end zones).

1932nflchampionshipgame.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932_NFL_Playoff_Game

Oakland looks like they used to smash it closer to the stands which would make it and mile high the best baseball to football stadiums I can see from the pics. Better soghtlines for both sports. Superdomemstands used to move for baseball games not sure if they still do after the renovations. 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:50 PM, radchad said:

Sorry to continue to derail this thread with the other kind of football, but I have to mention what is undoubtedly the worst stadium in MLS right now:
yankee-stadium-chelsea.jpg

Agreed.  That stadium for NYC FC was supposed to be long done by now.  Guess that they are still having a tough time finding the proper location.

Archived