jdp

Apex soccer league logos

Recommended Posts

Forgive what is a double post, but the General Design forum doesn’t seem to be running rampant with active users. These are at least concepts for a real-life soccer league, so I’m hoping this is considered a legit post.

 

Anyway, I'm in the throes of creating an adult rec soccer league in my area--the Rocky Mountains. I'm calling it Apex Rec Soccer League, drawing on both the noun and the verb form of the word "apex." I've narrowed down about 20 ideas to these two, both of which are shown in color and B&W. I have my thoughts on which is better and why I designed the way I did; typesetting will be completed when I finalize the logo itself. I'll hold off on my own thoughts until there is initial feedback.

 

Thanks in advance for any ideas/praise/critiques.

 

Apex.png.2abbfaf84799a8c5bf3e88a9b5696e2d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My one-time bump... anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Number 1 you can really see the A, but the mountain is less obvious.

 

In number 2, the A is harder to see, but its more clearly a mountain.

 

I'd go with whichever element you want to highlight more. If the A, go with 1. If the mountain, go with 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think either way it's clear enough that you've got an A and a mountain. They're complimentary enough that neither option is clearly better than the other in terms of readability, at least in my opinion. I would go with 2 because the shape fills in the circle a bit more symmetrically. I'd change the stroke widths of the circle and the A so that they match. Probably better off going with the slightly thinner weight of the A. I also quite like the rounded corners of the snow, and would be interested to see how it would look if you rounded the other corners as well. Hopefully that helps a little bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, nas1787 said:

Number 1 you can really see the A, but the mountain is less obvious.

 

In number 2, the A is harder to see, but its more clearly a mountain.

 

I'd go with whichever element you want to highlight more. If the A, go with 1. If the mountain, go with 2.

 

^ This has been my dilemma. Not sure which to go with. My initial thoughts were 1 so it's less about the mountain and more about the name. Most feedback seems to lean toward 2, however. For instance...

 

4 hours ago, henburg said:

I think two is my favorite, I can see both elements in that one best. 

 

^ My biggest issue with 2 is I cannot unsee a steering wheel (especially when B&W).

 

2 hours ago, chickenfish13 said:

I think either way it's clear enough that you've got an A and a mountain. They're complimentary enough that neither option is clearly better than the other in terms of readability, at least in my opinion. I would go with 2 because the shape fills in the circle a bit more symmetrically. I'd change the stroke widths of the circle and the A so that they match. Probably better off going with the slightly thinner weight of the A. I also quite like the rounded corners of the snow, and would be interested to see how it would look if you rounded the other corners as well. Hopefully that helps a little bit!

 

^ Thinner, eh? Fair enough. But, when you mention rounding the other corners, what do you mean, exactly? The only parts not rounded in 2 are where the A meets the circle.

 

 

Two additional questions for any and all: Does the logo need to have more "soccer " to it? One other concept I had was the A/mountain in a pentagon, representing a soccer ball patch (its quite asymmetrical, though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I prefer 1 as the sharper mountain underlines more the idea of the apex of the mountain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdp said:

 

 

^ Thinner, eh? Fair enough. But, when you mention rounding the other corners, what do you mean, exactly? The only parts not rounded in 2 are where the A meets the circle.

 

Two additional questions for any and all: Does the logo need to have more "soccer " to it? One other concept I had was the A/mountain in a pentagon, representing a soccer ball patch (its quite asymmetrical, though).

 

I'm usually partial to thicker lines, but the circle seems a bit too thick to me. Honestly I'd have to see both and compare side by side to really tell. 

Here's a very hasty and bad example of what I had in mind with rounding the corners. This is, again, mostly just a preference thing.

 

apexexample.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chickenfish13 said:

 

I'm usually partial to thicker lines, but the circle seems a bit too thick to me. Honestly I'd have to see both and compare side by side to really tell. 

Here's a very hasty and bad example of what I had in mind with rounding the corners. This is, again, mostly just a preference thing.

 

apexexample.png

 

Kind of what I was thinking. Although I haven't tried this yet, I envision losing a bit of the A. But I'll see how it looks. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The second version is the better one in regards to conveying both the A and the mountain. However, I agree that the weight of the strokes is too heavy. Also, once the steering wheel was mentioned, it's really hard to unsee. Maybe you can add a bit more mountain details to counter that, and/or make it a different shape than a circle. A shield might work well here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Captain Tsubasa said:

The second version is the better one in regards to conveying both the A and the mountain. However, I agree that the weight of the strokes is too heavy. Also, once the steering wheel was mentioned, it's really hard to unsee. Maybe you can add a bit more mountain details to counter that, and/or make it a different shape than a circle. A shield might work well here.

 

You know, I don't think I tried a shield on this A design. Had plenty of shield concepts, just not with this. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revisions.

1 - Same stroke weights

2 & 3 - within a shield, same stroke weights

 

apex_rev.jpg.8f2c8af45ab02c9265125eab503fee0f.jpg

 

I'm still leaning toward more of an A (2 in the revision, 1 in the original post). There's almost too much green/white space in the  other A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Captain Tsubasa said:

I think it looks better in a shield and prefer option no. 3. However, I still find the strokes too heavy/thick. 

As for option no. 2, it gives me pencil tip vibes. ^_^

 

 

Clearly, I am still the only one who prefers the narrower A. :lonely:

 

And yeah, I've seen the pencil since the beginning, actually. But flattening the bottom of the crossbar of the A helped remove some of that. At least to me.

 

For #3, any thoughts on adding "ARSL or "APEX" in the green space?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2017 at 12:03 PM, jdp said:

For #3, any thoughts on adding "ARSL or "APEX" in the green space?

If you want to add "APEX" on there, I would recommend to place it on the top, rather than into the green space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now