buzzcut

NBA 2017-18: A Tale of Two Conferences

You know who the true loser of this trade is? Orlando. We have now had former players that we traded for peanuts be packaged for Paul George and Blake Griffin. For example,

ORL trades Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis to OKC for Serge Ibaka

OKC trades Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis to IND for Paul George

ORL trades Tobias Harris to DET for Brandon Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova

DET trades Tobias Harris (and a bunch of other people) to LAC for Blake Griffin

Is it already time for the NBA 2018 offseason thread?

The Warriors just won their 3rd title in four years.  LeBron really wants more rings.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22281387/golden-state-warriors-play-lebron-james

I've never been on the LeBron hatewagon.  I understand why he didn't just stay in one place and hope others wanted to come to Cleveland and play for mediocre coaches.  The two guys he wants to catch won a combined 11 titles with the supposed best coach ever and in better markets.  Circumstances matter.  And a lot of them did not favor LeBron.  So I actually cheer for him to win because I think he's a good guy.  But if he joins the winners, I'll be joining the majority.

I get that he's chasing more rings, but there needs to at least be a little bit of a challenge.  Go to any other team in the west (Houston, maybe) and try to be the guy that puts them over the top to pass the Warriors.  I can respect that.  That's a challenge.  He doesn't have to stay in Cleveland or go to Sacramento.  But if he just pulls a Durant (and for a few reasons, this would be much, much worse)...

Of course, the article indicates no interest from the team. It's essentially clickbait.  I hope this story dies.  Because nothing would be sadder than to see LeBron try to court a disinterested team.

He'll probably go back to Miami. 

Hahahaha I want to see Lebron join the Warriors SO bad now. That would simultaneously be my favorite move ever made by a pro sports team and probably the thing that irreparably wrecks the NBA. It would also cement Lebron as my favorite player in the history of athletic competition because it would be a level of troll that I didn't think possible. It would put the WWF to shame and I am so in love with that idea. 

If he leaves Cleveland, that's fine by me. That organization is a mess, and he's no longer a Cav-for-life after leaving for Miami several years ago. I think the only way I'd be irked is if he ends up playing for the Lakers or Warriors. I'm tired of the Lakers always being in the center of attention when it comes to free agents (which is understandable) and the Warriors already cheated the system with the Durant signing (plus, I'd give up on the NBA entirely if that happened). I wouldn't like him being with the Celtics either, but at least they're East... I always wanted LeBron to stay in the East.

I've heard this whole "cheated the system" argument about the Warriors before, yet I've never heard a good explanation for exactly HOW they cheated the system. Incredibly good luck and timing really isn't the same thing as "cheating" the system. 

42 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

I've heard this whole "cheated the system" argument about the Warriors before, yet I've never heard a good explanation for exactly HOW they cheated the system. Incredibly good luck and timing really isn't the same thing as "cheating" the system. 

I don't think they cheated anything.  Pre-KD they built themselves very organically.  Got some luck with how some players, turned out, of course, but that's part of the game.

I don't see "cheating" with KD but it still broke the league.  They exploited a broken system.  If there's any way to fix it, I hope it's done.

LeBron going to the Warriors would cause two likely scenarios:

1) It becomes the big three part two and Kaly Thompson and Draymond Green get moved out. Especially if LeBron insists he get a max deal. Green goes to the Lakers and beats up on the Warriors every chance he gets. Cleveland becomes a middle of the pack team in the East. 

2) LeBron plays ball and everyone on the Warriors stays. NBA refs will let LeBron, KD and Green get hacked to ribbons before calling fouls, just to make things somewhat even for the other teams. Cleveland is still a middle of the pack team because the Nets pick is still a rookie, not a superstar. 

I'm as big a LeBron apologist as it comes, but even I don't think I could justify him moving to the Warriors. That would be a bad look. (though maybe he deserves an easy win after all this time? :censored:, I'm doing it...)

If LeBron wants to beloved and win more titles go for the minimum on any team besides GSW, LAL, Boston or SA with a core that's on the verge and win them a championship. 

LAC?

OKC?

MILW?

MIN?

PHIL?

1 hour ago, kimball said:

If LeBron wants to beloved and win more titles go for the minimum on any team besides GSW, LAL, Boston or SA with a core that's on the verge and win them a championship. 

LAC?

OKC?

MILW?

MIN?

PHIL?

Well, Embiid "recruited" him a couple of years ago, and he is BFF with Simmons, and the Sixers supposedly have unlimited money, so...

Of course, if I was him, I'd demand that I had my own personal training staff and doctors, separate from the team's.

It was so weird seeing Blake in a new uniform. And he balled out. I know the Clippers didn’t go far with him, but this better be worth being without him.

The line between fans and the field/court of play has been too blurred.  When you think about Monica Seles or the Royals first base coach at that White Sox game, I think any player, coach or official is within their rights to deck a fan on the field.  The leagues are hesitant to take that approach, as they want fans to feel that they are part of the game.  I don't think Westbrook's going to be disciplined for this.  But if it were up to me, he could have knocked that fan out with no discipline as well.

Just now, OnWis97 said:

The line between fans and the field/court of play has been too blurred.  When you think about Monica Seles or the Royals first base coach at that White Sox game, I think any player, coach or official is within their rights to deck a fan on the field.  The leagues are hesitant to take that approach, as they want fans to feel that they are part of the game.  I don't think Westbrook's going to be disciplined for this.  But if it were up to me, he could have knocked that fan out with no discipline as well.

I don't think we're there yet.  99.99999998% of fans know better than to breach the players' domain.  Anytime something like the above video occurs, I can't help but believe that alcohol was involved.  I would hope most players understand that, and considering that the Malice in the Palace is something modern stars grew up watching, the lessons from that event's fallout should be imbued across the league's collective roster, both formally and unconsciously.

Pro wrestling figured this out ages ago. Let the refs take care of it:

The ref in this video (watch the whole thing!) was named Peewee Anderson, which somehow makes it better.

If you had asked me a year ago, I would say that Lebron stays in Cleveland. Now, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he's gone. 

I think if he wants to compete, the Lakers are out of the question. They're just too far away, plus they have to run directly into the Houston and Golden State gauntlet. 

Although he's still in his prime, I think he's too old to jump on a team where he would have to start from the ground up, even if other star players would join him. 

This rules out teams like:

Atlanta

Orlando

Memphis

Detroit

Chicago

Brooklyn

Dallas

Indiana

LA Clippers

Phoenix

Sacramento

Utah

Other teams worth considering:

New York (big market, desperate for success, star player in Porzingis)

Charlotte: it's a long shot, bu they've got a star in Kemba Walker, plus the MJ connection.

OKC: What if they George walk and then bring in Lebron?

New Orleans: I'm not sure how it would get done money wise or if it's even possible, but he, Boogie and Davis? Wow.

Minnesota: Too much money tied up. I'm sure it could be worked, but I don't see it.

Portland: Already boast one of the league's best back-courts. 

Toronto: Would instantly make them the team to beat in the East, but similar to Minnesota, some shuffling would be needed. Impossible? No, but would be way out of left field. 

Washington: Like Toronto, this would vault them into elite team status.

Milwaukee: Like Toronto and Washington, but would be easier to get done financially. 

Denver: Close to contention, and adding Lebron would do it. But again, he'd have to run directly through the GS/HOU/SA buzzsaw.

And then there's the usual suspects: 

San Antonio

Houston

Miami- Solid core, but I think Lebron wants something different.

I just don't see Golden State happening.  

I have a very strong feeling about Philly. Young team, rising very quickly. Tons of cap space, already with 2 of the East's best players.