NBA 2017-18: A Tale of Two Conferences

buzzcut

OKC does well in the regular season and wins the division with approximately 52 wins. But they're not playoff built. Way too thin. They've got one somewhat serviceable backup guard in Felton, and Patrick Patterson up front (assuming Adams starts). If they end up playing Minnesota in the first round (4-5), I'm not even sure they beat them.

sig.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/23/2017 at 1:02 PM, ozzyman314 said:

Imagine what a monster team OKC would be if KD hadn't bitched out because he wanted a ring. 

OKC doesn't add the parts they added this year if they had KD Tawwmmy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I like the title here... definitely makes sense.

The West is going to be an all out war with at least 4 or 5 teams (Golden State, San Antonio, Houston, Oklahoma City and possibly Minnesota) being the cream of the crop and then three playoff spots left. That middle group of 5 teams (Memphis, Portland, the Clippers, Utah, and the Lakers) will fight for those spots. That leaves the bottom group (Dallas, New Orleans, Denver, Phoenix and Sacramento).

Out East, it's Boston and Cleveland... that's it. Maybe Toronto and Milwaukee if they can play their cards right, but if it's not Celtics vs. Cavs in the Eastern Finals, consider me surprised. After those four, it's a big freaking dog pile of 8 teams for 4 playoff spots (Atlanta, Miami, Washington, Charlotte, Indiana, Chicago, Detroit and Philadelphia) That leaves Orlando, Brooklyn and New York to round out the East (and the Knicks bombing so badly that they get the Number 1 pick in the 2018 Draft)

On 9/25/2017 at 5:25 PM, Seadragon76 said:

The West is going to be an all out war with at least 4 or 5 teams (Golden State, San Antonio, Houston, Oklahoma City and possibly Minnesota) being the cream of the crop and then three playoff spots left. That middle group of 5 teams (Memphis, Portland, the Clippers, Utah, and the Lakers) will fight for those spots. That leaves the bottom group (Dallas, New Orleans, Denver, Phoenix and Sacramento).

Out East, it's Boston and Cleveland... that's it. Maybe Toronto and Milwaukee if they can play their cards right, but if it's not Celtics vs. Cavs in the Eastern Finals, consider me surprised. After those four, it's a big freaking dog pile of 8 teams for 4 playoff spots (Atlanta, Miami, Washington, Charlotte, Indiana, Chicago, Detroit and Philadelphia) That leaves Orlando, Brooklyn and New York to round out the East (and the Knicks bombing so badly that they get the Number 1 pick in the 2018 Draft)

No way the Hawks make the playoffs this year.  Again, casual basketball fan, and I can't name more than a few of their players....Schroeder, Bazemore, one of the Plumlees, that guy named after a fraternity...

36 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

No way the Hawks make the playoffs this year.  Again, casual basketball fan, and I can't name more than a few of their players....Schroeder, Bazemore, one of the Plumlees, that guy named after a fraternity...

This is just me, but the entire Southeast Division is possibly the weakest division in the NBA. There's no one team that stands out from the crowd. So what if Atlanta has a group of no-name players... the division is that weak.

On September 25, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Seadragon76 said:

You're about to be surprised by the Nuggets. There is NO WAY they finish below Minnesota, Memphis, Portland, LAC, Utah, and the Lakers. I'd be shocked if they even finished behind 3 of them, let alone all 6.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

^ Agreed. I think there's a clear top 4- GS, HOU, SA and OKC. Minnesota is not far behind, but I've learned not to trust them. Regardless, I think they're a top 6 minimum. Denver is definitely a playoff team, as is Utah. Yes, they lost their best player but they're deep enough and have a great defense. After that, it's the Clippers, New Orleans and Portland fighting for that 8 spot. Memphis is way too thin. 

16 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

This is just me, but the entire Southeast Division is possibly the weakest division in the NBA. There's no one team that stands out from the crowd. So what if Atlanta has a group of no-name players... the division is that weak.

Yea, Atlanta's going to absolutely suck. Them and the Bulls will be lucky to crack 20 wins. I think Miami surprises a lot. They win the SE and take the 4 seed. They're deep, have a group of guys and a coach that've been together for years, and finished last season on an absolute tear. 

sig.png

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Yea, Atlanta's going to absolutely suck. Them and the Bulls will be lucky to crack 20 wins. I think Miami surprises a lot. They win the SE and take the 4 seed. They're deep, have a group of guys and a coach that've been together for years, and finished last season on an absolute tear. 

The Southeast is definitely really weak, Atlanta and Orlando are bad and i don't think Charlotte has enough talent to make the playoffs.  TBH I think the Wizards take this division easily though, and that's not just bias.  Wall-Beal-Porter is deadly, and as long as they don't have too many injuries they'll be good to go.

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

The Southeast is definitely really weak, Atlanta and Orlando are bad and i don't think Charlotte has enough talent to make the playoffs.  TBH I think the Wizards take this division easily though, and that's not just bias.  Wall-Beal-Porter is deadly, and as long as they don't have too many injuries they'll be good to go.

So thin though. That was their downfall the past 2 seasons and they did nothing to reinforce their bench. I've just got a feeling about Miami. Charlotte should be back in the playoffs as long as Kemba Walker repeats his success and the rest of the squad stays healthy. It remains to be seen if Dwight fits in, but I think as horrible as the east is, they're a playoff team.

sig.png

4 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

So thin though. That was their downfall the past 2 seasons and they did nothing to reinforce their bench. I've just got a feeling about Miami. Charlotte should be back in the playoffs as long as Kemba Walker repeats his success and the rest of the squad stays healthy. It remains to be seen if Dwight fits in, but I think as horrible as the east is, they're a playoff team.

You're right on all those points.  It is gonna be real interesting to see how many teams make it in in the Eats who wouldn't have a prayer out West.

spacer.png

How much closer do you think Cleveland gets to Golden State with the addition of D-Wade? 

That backcourt is DEEP! I'm just not sure with injuries and age how effective they'll all be? But, if this is 2011 ... there's NO way the Cavs lose the title! :lol:

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 9/27/2017 at 11:19 PM, kimball said:

How much closer do you think Cleveland gets to Golden State with the addition of D-Wade? 

That backcourt is DEEP! I'm just not sure with injuries and age how effective they'll all be? But, if this is 2011 ... there's NO way the Cavs lose the title! :lol:

Yeah they're deep from 1-10. As long as everyone stays healthy, they'll give GS a run for their money. Especially since GS will be beaten up a bit more this time around, having to face most likely Houston or OKC in the WFC. 

sig.png

8 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Yeah they're deep from 1-10. As long as everyone stays healthy, they'll give GS a run for their money. Especially since GS will be beaten up a bit more this time around, having to face most likely Houston or OKC in the WFC. 

I gotta bad feeling about OKC for some reason.  I feel like they're gonna disappoint and get upset in the playoffs.  I really want them to work out bc I'd love to see someone other than Golden State make it to the Finals.  But I think it's inevitable unfortunately. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

I have no idea why some think that the addition of Carmelo is going to do anything but hurt the team. Picking up George was a huge boost but I think the Carmelo acquisition sets them back a bit.

Just my 2 copper coins...

I just have a feeling that it'll be a good fit. He's got other bonafide stars with him for the first time in a while. Maybe he learns to play 3rd fiddle. Or maybe the entire thing implodes. 

sig.png

Archived