NBA 2017-18: A Tale of Two Conferences

buzzcut

On 3/26/2018 at 6:09 PM, who do you think said:

You can spin it and justify it and move the goalposts as many times as you want, but LeBron has 3 rings to Jordan's 6, has never once led a team to a threepeat, and has never put up a season that matches what Jordan did in his prime, and has never been as a good a defender as prime Jordan. How many championships would Jordan have if he didn't take two years off to play minor league baseball? Or if Scottie Pippen wasn't dealing with migraines in Game 7 in 1990? Conjecture goes both ways.

It's actually kind of funny that the guy has bailed on two franchises to find a better, younger stable of teammates to put himself over the top and still can't escape petty teammates quitting on him and can only get a whiff of what Jordan accomplished. Poor LeBron.

If the Bulls somehow got by Detroit in 1990, I don't think they beat Portland. The Blazers would have had the home court (59 wins to Chicago's 53), and the Bulls didn't play the Jedi mind tricks on defense that the Pistons did. Also, this was before the ball hog and Phil whined to the league about tough defensive play and got the flagrant foul insttituted. And, the 90 Finals would have been on CBS. They didn't want the games fixed for MJ like NBC would.

Also, if MJ doesn't leave the NBA for the minor leagues, the Bull dynasty may have flamed out sooner. You have more games played and more wear and tear. Those two years of being eliminated in the second round were a blessing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've only watched a few games, but Simmons really doesn't "feel" like a rookie.  If you didn't remind me, I'd never think that he even qualified for the award.

I keep forgetting too. Maybe that's why I interpret his ceiling is lower, a feeling that he's already further to it than the other two are.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I keep forgetting too. Maybe that's why I interpret his ceiling is lower, a feeling that he's already further to it than the other two are.

It'll be interesting to see if playing with Lebron next year will get him closer to that ceiling or further away.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sometimes people say Jordan took off two years but they forget he came back for the 95 Playoffs and got his ass whipped by the Magic.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Will the flood gates open? I'm not sure since the max he will get from the team is $26K.

Top 10 prep player decommits from Syracuse to play in the G League next fall.

https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-top-10-draft-pick-make-leap-high-school-g-league-193725979.html

McDonald’s All American and Syracuse commit Darius Bazley — a projected top-10 selection in the 2019 NBA draft — has decided to turn professional and plans to sign in the NBA G League, Bazley told Yahoo Sports.

Bazley, 17, told Yahoo Sports he has decommitted from Syracuse and will play in the G League after discussing several options with his mother, Lynnita Bazley, close family members and Princeton (Cincinnati) High School coach Steve Wright. Several players have set a trend of leaving collegiate commitments to play overseas, but Bazley’s decision to bypass the one-and-done format for the G League is unprecedented.

Bazley committed to Syracuse in 2017 and had a strong performance in the McDonald’s All-American Game on Wednesday night in Atlanta, posting 11 points, seven rebounds and two assists and showing activity on both ends of the court. In April, Bazley will participate in the Jordan Brand Classic and Nike Hoop Summit. All three are landmark events for Bazley entering a critical summer.

NBA executives believe he can be one of the best players in the 2019 draft. At 6-foot-9, Bazley has the potential to be a dynamic playmaker, ball-handler in the open floor and defensive force. Bazley turns 18 in June and will then be eligible to formally sign a G League contract in September and enter the league’s annual draft in October. Bazley’s rights will not belong with an NBA team until he’s selected in the 2019 NBA draft.

14 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

He did get one last year. 

That’s why The Cavs wanted an extra pick with him. 

Well his hip was definitely hurt, but I thought he specifically wanted to rehab it without surgery, even though that ended up taking half the season itself?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Embiid broke his orbital bone, out 2-4 weeks. Could miss the first round.

That's a cold way to end a great season.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

probably cost them a 50-win season.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, DnBronc said:

If the Bulls somehow got by Detroit in 1990, I don't think they beat Portland. The Blazers would have had the home court (59 wins to Chicago's 53), and the Bulls didn't play the Jedi mind tricks on defense that the Pistons did. Also, this was before the ball hog and Phil whined to the league about tough defensive play and got the flagrant foul insttituted. And, the 90 Finals would have been on CBS. They didn't want the games fixed for MJ like NBC would.

Also, if MJ doesn't leave the NBA for the minor leagues, the Bull dynasty may have flamed out sooner. You have more games played and more wear and tear. Those two years of being eliminated in the second round were a blessing.

You think this, I think that, they may have done this if not for that, but what about this, how can you hold that against them... it's all conjecture and it's all hamstering to try and validate your biases (not you specifically, just in general). The actual accomplishments are all that matters, and as far as accomplishments go LeBron has dick on Jordan, unless you're one of those people who puts stock in stupid **** like "LeBron is the youngest player in NBA history to scratch his own ass during a game".

In fairness to LeBron, nobody else has dick on Jordan either. Wilt's farther away than LeBron, because he was only interested in scoring, dunking, and doing the glamour work. He didn't give a rat's ass about defense or details until it was too late. Kareem's a little better, he had some ridiculous seasons in Milwaukee and he actually has the rings, although Magic carried him to two of them.

3 minutes ago, who do you think said:

Basketball shape, how does it work.

Sorry, I meant to say LOL U HAF BAD OPINIONZ I'M BLOCKING U LOL

So either Jordan is the greatest ever and untouchable or he actually is fallible. This is the hill you're dying on; not me. 

Alsowe don't really do the all caps mocking here. No argument was ever won that way. Also don't be a dick.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

So either Jordan is the greatest ever and untouchable or he actually is fallible. This is the hill you're dying on; not me.

What in the world? Is this a joke, or are you actually interpreting 'greatest ever' as 'infalliable'?

Alsowe don't really do the all caps mocking here. No argument was ever won that way. Also don't be a dick.

Right back at you, Mr. This Is Bad Posting Because I Disagree.

4 hours ago, who do you think said:

You think this, I think that, they may have done this if not for that, but what about this, how can you hold that against them... it's all conjecture and it's all hamstering to try and validate your biases (not you specifically, just in general). The actual accomplishments are all that matters, and as far as accomplishments go LeBron has dick on Jordan, unless you're one of those people who puts stock in stupid **** like "LeBron is the youngest player in NBA history to scratch his own ass during a game".

In fairness to LeBron, nobody else has dick on Jordan either. Wilt's farther away than LeBron, because he was only interested in scoring, dunking, and doing the glamour work. He didn't give a rat's ass about defense or details until it was too late. Kareem's a little better, he had some ridiculous seasons in Milwaukee and he actually has the rings, although Magic carried him to two of them.

They also changed the rules for MJ to make it easier, while they made it more difficult for Wilt. And, while Chamberlain had several different coaches, MJ had Phil Jackson for the whole 90's.

Also, another player that has it over MJ is Oscar Robertson. He actually made players better (Wayne Embry was an example). MJ didn't make anyone better, including Pippen.

Archived