Football teams ripping off other teams

Danny the Sheeb

A picture in the College Football thread of a D3 team totally ripping off Florida got me thinking.  Tons of high schools snitch college/pro logos, but does anyone do the same for uniforms?

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

17 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Dublin Scioto High School in Dublin, Ohio

41858947.jpg

This is what I wanted to see.  Get a good laugh at some team's complete lack of originality.

10 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

A picture in the College Football thread of a D3 team totally ripping off Florida got me thinking.  Tons of high schools snitch college/pro logos, but does anyone do the same for uniforms?

Old news

You realize that universities gladly license their images to HS programs at little cost, right?

Unless you wear solid colors and no stripes, a HS team will be a thought of as copying somebody, and if they went "plain Jane", people would scream Penn State.  The uniform catalogs only have so many choices.

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Old news

You realize that universities gladly license their images to HS programs at little cost, right?

Unless you wear solid colors and no stripes, a HS team will be a thought of as copying somebody, and if they went "plain Jane", people would scream Penn State.  The uniform catalogs only have so many choices.

Good point.  I mostly want to see some recognizable uniform (see above) sadly color-swapped and with a different logo.  I'm just looking for laughs.

42 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

This is what I wanted to see.  Get a good laugh at some team's complete lack of originality.

To be fair, most high school and college programs outside of the P5 order their uniforms out of some sort of catalog. Not much they can do given the limited options they have. They surely don't have graphic designers making uniforms for them the way the major programs do. You gotta let lack of originality slide in those cases.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Dublin Scioto High School in Dublin, Ohio

41858947.jpg

12 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

12 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Good point.  I mostly want to see some recognizable uniform (see above) sadly color-swapped and with a different logo.  I'm just looking for laughs.

I'm not sure why this particular uniform would make anybody laugh.  Its pretty awesome and spoken about highly in the greater Columbus area. 

As for it being a rip off (I know I posted it in the "rip off" thread, but I didn't realize you were after"laughs") I think there's a distinction to be made between homage and theft. IMO there's a certain amount of cleverness involved in a team from the Columbus area identifying the ways in which their color scheme matches Ohio State's and pulling a nice look together. They even have small shamrock award stickers in place of the buckeye leaves.

I love it.

Unfortunately in recent years they've changed to mirror Ohio State's (bad) changes and their look has suffered because of it.

IMG_2642.JPG.3076a56f2a0bcf53a0f8dcb6bd6ffe94.JPG

also the pants stripe is no longer the correct striping. It's a bummer. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

23 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure why this particular uniform would make anybody laugh.  Its pretty awesome and spoken about highly in the greater Columbus area. 

As for it being a rip off (I know I posted it in the "rip off" thread, but I didn't realize you were after"laughs") I think there's a distinction to be made between homage and theft. IMO there's a certain amount of cleverness involved in a team from the Columbus area identifying the ways in which their color scheme matches Ohio State's and pulling a nice look together. They even have small shamrock award stickers in place of the buckeye leaves.

I love it.

This is like Tulane baseball's homage to the Cardinals birds on a bat to me. Or Iowa's Steelers look.

There's catalog ordering, and biting recognizable pro or higher level college styles and slapping together a uniform like 99% of high schools. Then there's this: taking a thing, making a choice, and going all the way with it. This school/coach decided they were going to be green Ohio State and they did not half ass it.

On 9/23/2017 at 9:14 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Delaware copied color as well.

Delaware and their colors predate the University of Michigan by almost 75 years. 

And they aren't even the same colors.  The Blue Hens are royal blue and gold.  Michigan is maize and blue (navy). 

The EMU thing bugged me because I could never figure out why the Jets? Just "hey they're green too?"

The Iowa/Steelers thing was a deliberate choice to take a bad to average program and identify with a winner. But  EMU/Jets? "Hey let's look like late career Vinny Testaverde?"

Archived