Should the Arizona Cardinals go back to being called Phoenix?

colortv

46 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

No, I cannot wait for the day that Vegas becomes the Las Vegas Knights.

That's another thing...my preference to not change names goes hand-in-hand with the fact that I want teams to consider these things before naming themselves.  "Are we really going to stick with Vegas for the long haul?" And when in doubt, don't get too cute.  Same goes for the Wild.  Did they consider that this ridiculous name would be there in 50 years?  Had they would they have picked somehing non-terrible?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2017 at 6:35 PM, the admiral said:

Yes. State names are dumb, especially when other teams in the metropolitan area don't use the name of the state. "New England Patriots" is the dumbest one of all.

I really, REALLY do not get why people complain about this... 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

It's boards.sportslogos.net, why does anyone complain about anything? "Boston Patriots" sounds better than "New England Patriots," they'd play in Boston if it were practical to do so, the other Boston teams don't suffer from lack of pan-New England support, so it's just irritating.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This topic reminds me of a trivia question.  In the 4 major sports leagues, can you name all the active teams that are NOT named for a city or a state/province (in other words don't have the city or state name in their title.  There's more than you might think.  I believe 8.  Golden State and New England are obviously 2 of them. 

And washington and vegas (golden knights) are not on this list.  Washington and vegas count as Washington DC and Las Vegas.  And they don't have to actually play in that city, so New York Jets isn't one of them, still has New York in the name. 

The hint is what teams are named after regions other than state or city 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

The three Tampa Bay teams, because the city is Tampa and the bay is the body of water or Tampa-St. Pete region

Golden State

New England

the two Carolina teams

Brooklyn, which is not a city?

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The three Tampa Bay teams, because the city is Tampa and the bay is the body of water or Tampa-St. Pete region

Golden State

New England

the two Carolina teams

Brooklyn, which is not a city?

Brooklyn is weird. Is it a city, no. But it is recognized by the US postal service as a valid city/municipality name for mailing addresses. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

That correct.   Tampa Bay is a region, not a city. (Basically the same as saying San Francsisco Bay Area).    

Carlinas obviously are 2 states. 

And Brooklyn despite having 4 million people is a Borough not a City.    (Having your own zip code doesn't make you a city.  There are towns of 40,000 people that have multiple zip codes---and multiple Towns that share 1 zip code.  that's just post office jurisdiction.) 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I believe Brooklyn was its own city at one time, before merging into the greater body of NYC.  I still dont consider it a regional name however, since it describes a finite area that's a borough and the team using the name is the only one in its league playing in it. 

15 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

I believe Brooklyn was its own city at one time, before merging into the greater body of NYC.  I still dont consider it a regional name however, since it describes a finite area that's a borough and the team using the name is the only one in its league playing in it. 

Brooklyn was a city.  

While most non-city names represent larger areas, is this the only team one that is named after a sub-municipal area?  I don't mind it, because the boroughs are recognizable and there is another team in the city.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2017 at 1:48 PM, OnWis97 said:

Brooklyn was a city.  

While most non-city names represent larger areas, is this the only team one that is named after a sub-municipal area?  I don't mind it, because the boroughs are recognizable and there is another team in the city.

Are there any teams from the ex-suburbs that are now part of Toronto?

34 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Did anyone do Denver Avalanche yet?

4f527796c9efb5c930dfd8228f119013--sports

I went round and round on Denver Avalanche with someone, it went kinda like:

"Denver Avalanche sounds better, so they should go with that instead."
"No, because Denver is on the high plains, not in the mountains, Denver would never get an avalanche."

"Then why is there a team located in the city of Denver called the Avalanche?"
"They're from Colorado, not Denver, so that makes it okay."
"*series of strained, choking noises on my part*"

I'd love to play around with an Avalanche wordmark in that style, with the C of the Colorado state flag but some Avant Garde-style ligatures and modifications elsewhere in the word.

On 9/29/2017 at 9:38 AM, Chawls said:

Something I'm surprised hasn't happened yet is the Arizona Cardinals recoloring their logo to fit the indigenous species of desert cardinal that actually resides in their area of the country (especially considering modern football's love of GFGS). That update seems like a branding lay-up. 

IMG_8301.JPG

Exiting LurkMode...

I put this together about 10 years ago...the Arizona Pyrrhuloxias:

ArizonaPyrrhuloxias_PRM_9999.png

I haven't ever lived in the Phoenix-metro area (but plan to do so in the next year or two...have been going there annually scouting out places to live), but there is a real division between the different areas in the metropolitan area. Almost a rivalry between the different suburbs. I was told in 1988 that the majority of fans in the state were offended that the Cardinals chose Phoenix as the "location" name, as opposed to "Arizona". I always felt that the renaming in '94 was righting a wrong.

14 hours ago, ColorWerx said:

Exiting LurkMode...

I put this together about 10 years ago...the Arizona Pyrrhuloxias:

ArizonaPyrrhuloxias_PRM_9999.png

I haven't ever lived in the Phoenix-metro area (but plan to do so in the next year or two...have been going there annually scouting out places to live), but there is a real division between the different areas in the metropolitan area. Almost a rivalry between the different suburbs. I was told in 1988 that the majority of fans in the state were offended that the Cardinals chose Phoenix as the "location" name, as opposed to "Arizona". I always felt that the renaming in '94 was righting a wrong.

Good to see you around, ColorWerx. And I have always loved that idea for the Cardinals. It would be miles better than their BFBS.

Archived