Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

By not chasing trends, the Jaguars have created a clean, classic, and timeless uniform. It won't turn any heads but it will remain a solid identity for decades. I am surprised that the Jaguars of all teams decided to follow this style of design. I thought they might embrace the modern era and keep updating their look every five years or so but I'm pleasantly surprised.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the only positives I see from this set are a solid color helmet and teal pants.  Other than those, these are just plain boring as it looks like any generic football uniform used in a movie or TV show.  For whatever reasons, they just can't seem to find a uniform that comes close to matching their first set.

2 hours ago, TSHARE18 said:

I08Ea7m.jpg

Didn’t want to be the one that leaked it, but now that it’s out.... Had this since February. Only change was the number colors going to white on the dark jerseys. 

The teal and black numbers makes a huge difference. It's the only way this simple design works. Someone said they get a "Raiders vibe" or something like that, but what makes theirs work is the silver numbers. The 49ers' black jersey is another example.

Why, oh why, oh why could they not throw just a little gold into the mix? The collar detail? The little sliver of color peaking above the cuffs? Couldn’t just one of those be gold? Maybe then I’d be more amused by this less-is-more approach.

I swear, if they made one of those things gold and did right by the combos, this’d be a near 10 in my book. Otherwise, I don’t know what to say. All things considered, it’s a very non-abrasive, easy on the eyes uniform. It’s a decent upgrade over the 2009 set, and anything beats the 2013 set. However, knowing that they sported what they did during the 90s, I just can’t help but think of what could’ve been. At least our helmet isn’t the laughing stock of the sports world any longer, I suppose.

14 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

Best look I've seen of the helmet so far. 

MUpyTeS.png

how big of a double middle-finger would it be if they decided to keep the two-tone helmets at the last second?

Wow these are so underwhelming. I just can't get over the lack of gold and teal overall.  Also, STILL NO F***ING PANTS STRIPES!!!! These are just as boring and lifeless as the new Washington State and Nevada uniforms. Glorified practice uniforms indeed. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, Gupti said:

Dang, I can’t even believe that these got leaked three whole years ago and no one said a thing...

E98_C6_D7_D_39_AF_4_FDB_82_EA_E2_D1_A9_A

763729_D6_8_AE3_4797_93_C9_8_E39_E95156_

Smfh...I can’t believe we really went with the ‘any given sunday’ ll Cool j look. 

13 minutes ago, llamafeed said:

Plain glossy is the most boring and least creative of all helmet finishes. This plain uniform could at least use some form of 20th century style

Every possible boring thing we could have done with this entire set we did. There isn’t a single thing on this entire uniform that stands out and makes you say ‘oh yea that’s definitely the jags.’

1 minute ago, tlmac55 said:

Smfh...I can’t believe we really went with the ‘any given sunday’ ll Cool j look. 

Every possible boring thing was could have done with this entire set we did. There isn’t a single thing on this entire uniform that stands out and makes you say ‘oh yea that’s definitely the jags.’

They certainly don't blow me away, but it was much safer than the Titans debacle. I like the teal ones the most, the white ones are probably my least favorite, although I can see some cool accessorizing by the players playing off the B&W only look. It'll never happen but I'd almost be interested in seeing the Snow Leopard logo put on there for the B&W only looks. It'll be nice to see them all in person tomorrow and their explanations. I'm curious what the fan versions will look like since all those players wear the uniforms with super short sleeves and the fan versions typically have longer sleeves.

6 minutes ago, llamafeed said:

They certainly don't blow me away, but it was much safer than the Titans debacle. I like the teal ones the most, the white ones are probably my least favorite, although I can see some cool accessorizing by the players playing off the B&W only look. It'll never happen but I'd almost be interested in seeing the Snow Leopard logo put on there for the B&W only looks. It'll be nice to see them all in person tomorrow and their explanations. I'm curious what the fan versions will look like since all those players wear the uniforms with super short sleeves and the fan versions typically have longer sleeves.

Tbh, and I know I’m gonna get chewed out for this, but I’d rather be the titans. At least their team incorporated their team colors into their uniforms...as bad as it is at least when you see that uniform you say ‘oh yea that’s the titans.’ When you see the jags it looks like the no name team that the nfl superstar is playing against in whatever TV commercial he stars in. 

1 minute ago, tlmac55 said:

Tbh, and I know I’m gonna get chewed out for this, but I’d rather be the titans. At least their team incorporated their team colors into their uniforms...as bad as it is at least when you see that uniform you say ‘oh yea that’s the titans.’ When you see the jags it looks like the no name team that the nfl superstar is playing against in whatever TV commercial he stars in. 

Idk, I'd rather be like this than the Titans or Bucs :puke:

To each his own I guess

3 hours ago, daveindc said:

The teal and black numbers makes a huge difference. It's the only way this simple design works. Someone said they get a "Raiders vibe" or something like that, but what makes theirs work is the silver numbers. The 49ers' black jersey is another example.

If by “works,” you mean, “can’t be  read from across the field by a referee, let alone anyone in the press box,” then I agree. :P

However, in practice this simply doesn’t work well enough for its intended purpose.

c162a4494a623ab8a0ed05ac9b535496--ers-co

The only function of a number is to identify the players. If your design fails that test, then it’s already not successful. If your design otherwise lacks identity or personality, then you need to find a way to add it in that doesn’t compromise the base function of the jersey. You can get away with a lot in basketball, but in football, there are twice as many players (all wearing shoulder pads and helmets) on a playing surface three times the size, and the the people who need to identify them are ten times farther away. You simply can’t design counter to those constraints.

With that said, of the words used to describe these, I think the one where they left the most on the table is “distinctive” (at first glance, of course). Though you can argue that the black/white look is unique in the NFL, it doesn’t immediately strike me as a unique look for some reason. The colored numbers would have been more distinctive, but it’s easy to see that they don’t work well on the dark jerseys and why that’s so. Design is the process of finding a way to make the uniform distinctive *and* functional.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

43 minutes ago, llamafeed said:

Plain glossy is the most boring and least creative of all helmet finishes. This plain uniform could at least use some form of 20th century style

If you need “20th century style,” look no further than the glossy finish.;)

Look, glossy finishes aren’t “boring” just because they’ve been used for so long. They are THE football helmet, and they look the part damn well. I feel as though this age of pushing out these fire emoji-evoking matte and chrome domes for Instagram likes and Twitter clout has distracted from the fact that a glossy finish with a little bit of metallic fleck in it is truly a timeless finish that just looks just stunning with the sun reflecting off of it. The Jaguars all-black kids exemplify this, exuding class with the gold and black logo that marries perfectly to the shiny surface. It isn’t plain at all, which it may seem to you simply because we’ve seen it for so long.

A7398_BBF_0_FB8_4062_A454_C214_EE827_A58

Matte black lids (which I assume you’re referring to when you mention “so many better options”)? They just look cheesey and undignified to me, like a toy version of real football equipment (which I suppose makes sense because all of the kids are rocking them in college ball). Not to mention that matte black just flat out looks grey to me in the sunlight. Personally, it doesn’t look dynamic to me at all and I don’t think it’ll last. Keep it. Tommy’s got the right call here.

Moving this to a separate post since it’s a separate thought...

My gut reaction is this: I think the fans are gonna be a little disappointed. Personally, I don’t feel the product matches what has been advertised for the past few months (or, at the very least, I don’t feel it would match my interpretation of that if I put myself in a fan’s shoes). I don’t think fans are going to feel they got what they were told they were getting.

I actually do like these, though. There’s a solid framework to build on in the future, say, if they decide to tinker a little rather than blow it up again in five years. From what I can see, the numbers are a good example of a style that balances tradition and sophistication, but I am worried that there are only a few digits visible there; I feel like the possibility of a head-scratching surprise or two still exists. On the flip side, the identity system designer in me dislikes that they’re adding a new typeface to an identity that had just settled on one. This has the potential to be a stronger typeface to build on, in my opinion, but ultimately, I don’t see them changing the wordmark and re-typing the stadium, so it’s likely to be an outlier typeface for the foreseeable future, which has been par for the course in recent NFL redesigns, for better or worse.

Overall, there’s nothing objectively bad about these and I think that’s good. They could be a bit more than what they are, in my opinion (and the jury is definitely still out on the pant design), but you could do much worse as a football team.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived