Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

I'm fairly certain we all agree on one thing . . . nothing they do to change the uniforms will matter if they don't ditch the two-tone (and two-finish) helmet.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I'm fairly certain we all agree on one thing . . . nothing they do to change the uniforms will matter if they don't ditch the two-tone (and two-finish) helmet.

You are right. I'm envisioning the original Jaguar uniform, or even version 2, with this helmet on -- the helmet would kill those unis.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Oh it will defiantly be gone in my opinion.

Jaguars

thoughts as a jaguars fan-

1-gold should be a tertiary color. not even secondary. use it very very sparsely.

2-helmet gotta go. the two tone is awful.

3-need more teal. too many teams are the "black team" in the NFL, and there is only one other team who embraces teal. Keep black as an alt but make teal YOUR thing

4-keep the font. its cool, and maybe unnecessary but its different. we want to be a team that's remembered for who we are, not just be forgotten because we also picked a basic font

5- get rid of that collar. it is nice to have a color splash there but its like a big horseshoe sitting on the shoulders, doesn't flow with the rest of the uni

6-color rush should be teal, not gold.

7- i dont have a concept or sketch to fraw, but heres my thought on how we should rebrand-

logos- keep the primary. drop the shield, have a full body jaguar as the secondary

helmet- exactly what we have minus the gold. (aka matte black with the primary logo facing forward)

jerseys- 4 of em. teal with white numbers, white with teal numbers, black with white numbers, and teal with black numbers for color rush (just like the ravens do)

pants- 3. teal, black, and white. always avoid wearing white pants when we wear a colored jersey (teal or black), and try to avoid mono-white. i dislike white in the NFL, love it in college.

So less gold! it can be used as trim but shouldn't be the color of anything on our jerseys. t-shirts maybe.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

26 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

pants- 3. teal, black, and white. always avoid wearing white pants when we wear a colored jersey (teal or black), and try to avoid mono-white. i dislike white in the NFL, love it in college.

So don't wear the white pants with a colored jersey, or with the white jersey.

When would you see them wearing them???

It's where I sit.

21 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So don't wear the white pants with a colored jersey, or with the white jersey.

When would you see them wearing them???

when the other team is wearing too much black. sorry for the confusion i was ranting. i dislike the all white NFL look, it just doesn't look right if you aren't the colts or jets. teams that don't utilize white as a primary color should not wear it unless its the best clash they have.

But college football fan me thinks all white is great, for example penn state, auburn, alabama, texas to name a few

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

See here's why I am hesitant on the throwback: the throwback should be the old away uniform, it's where they had all the playoff success in 96 and 97.

But the new set has a great take on that, which finally, FINALLY brought back the teal numbers on the white jersey.  I hope that stays.

If there is a throwback to the old home uniform, then that means something will be different on the new home - different font, different number coloring, something.

IDK man I love speculation but I just hope we get MORE TEAL and change the dang helmet.

1 hour ago, flyersfan said:

My rule has always been that between jersey and pants, one of them need to match the helmet but never both.

14 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

My rule has always been that between jersey and pants, one of them need to match the helmet but never both.

I like that rule, but I dislike dark helmet - white jersey - dark pants.  Dark as in navy or black. That's where mono white is fine by me, and how the Steelers can be the outlier to this rule by going black - white - yellow.

It's where I sit.

24 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I like that rule, but I dislike dark helmet - white jersey - dark pants.  Dark as in navy or black. That's where mono white is fine by me, and how the Steelers can be the outlier to this rule by going black - white - yellow.

True, mono white is the only mono-color from the neck down that makes sense.  No Seattle scuba suits...no Ravens blackouts

There's a lot of talk here about a throwback, and I just don't see it happening.

A true thowback would mean bringing 2 logos back from the dead - the old Jag head and the full body Jag - and a different number font. The Jag head was obviously retired in 2013 with the updated logo, and the full body logo was retired in 2009 with the new, simple, piping uniforms.

Then you have the numbers. That's really not a bad change, it happens a lot, in fact. 

But the logos would be a branding nightmare. 

Yea, teams like the Patriots and Bucs have used old logos in throwbacks and done well. But they also market those throwback logos. They're different colors, different eras, different styles - everything. They're "cool" now. Old is cool nowadays, and that's fine. But the original Jaguars logos are not 1) marketed whatsoever, 2) old enough to be new again, and 3) different enough to warrant the merchandise and such.

When we live in a world, especially a sports world, where branding is everything, there's zero chance, in my mind, that there will be a throwback design whatsoever. 

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

And one more thing . . . 

They may be custom-numbers-for-custom-numbers-sake (CNFCNS?), but I really like the numbers on the Jaguars' current set.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

3 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Yeah that's a good rule of thumb, but, of course, there are exceptions. The Falcons being one that comes to me immediately, Ole Miss when they wear red jerseys with their gray pants, the Broncos, but your point still stands. With that rule in mind you pretty much can't go wrong most of the time

2 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

There's a lot of talk here about a throwback, and I just don't see it happening.

A true thowback would mean bringing 2 logos back from the dead - the old Jag head and the full body Jag - and a different number font. The Jag head was obviously retired in 2013 with the updated logo, and the full body logo was retired in 2009 with the new, simple, piping uniforms.

Then you have the numbers. That's really not a bad change, it happens a lot, in fact. 

Yea, teams like the Patriots and Bucs have used old logos in throwbacks and done well. But they also market those throwback logos. They're different colors, different eras, different styles - everything. They're "cool" now. Old is cool nowadays, and that's fine. But the original Jaguars logos are not 1) marketed whatsoever, 2) old enough to be new again, and 3) different enough to warrant the merchandise and such.

When we live in a world, especially a sports world, where branding is everything, there's zero chance, in my mind, that there will be a throwback design whatsoever. 

This is why I'm scared about them potentially getting new logos. It's one thing that you have to see people walking around town wearing of two different logos, even 5 years after the rebrand. It'd be another thing entirely if there was a third added to that mix. Talk about a branding nightmare.

EDIT: Although I do personally contribute to a third logo by wearing my '93 lawsuit logo gear out and around.

6 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I agree with this, but with white on white being the exception. (And of course there are a few other exceptions like the Steelers for example)

I also don’t mind mono color once or twice per year to change it up but if the socks don’t contrast then don’t even bother.

5 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

You can never say never with the Jaguars, especially considering the amount of uniform/helmet tinkering they have done compared to other teams. Growing up just north of Jax, I would say the old logo is still very popular down by my hometown and the Jax area. I don't think that would be a big problem as long as they don't launch a ton of throwback gear with it. Buffalo does it pretty good with the standing buffalo but that is more of an AFL classic mark also. I wouldn't expect the Jags to have a throwback until at least 2021 or 2026 (25/30 year throwbacks?) just from them having so many jerseys already and wanting to get some consistency with their fans. 

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

The only life to a throwback uniform is that Tom Coughlin is in the front office now. While it's possible with this guy, I don't see that being that a concrete reason or bit of evidence. 

Other than that, it's nothing more than a normal message board rumor. 

Jacksonville would be stupid to incorporate another new primary logo. 3 logos in 23 years? 2 logos in 5? If anyone with a branding mind is in the front office, that will not happen. (Of course it is Jacksonville, anything is possible with this franchise)

I think you see the difference in the logos in most areas that just introduced new logos. It's pricey to buy new merchandise, especially to replace an entire wardrobe collected over the years. Are we really going to fault someone going to an LA Chargers game wearing a shirt with San Diego on the front? Excluding jerseys, I have three items with the new logo - 2 hats and a Nike shirt. I also live in central Alabama, so I'm out of the market, for what it matters.

The old lawsuit logo is just a rarity in itself. Never seeing the field makes it something different, rare, and now coveted. It fits the "cool" bill of Bucco Bruce and other retro designs. I have only have one item with that logo - an old hat - and I was excited to get it. 

Again, having the two different real logos on the field (not at the same time, obviously) would be a bad idea. That's such a nightmare waiting. I honestly don't know if the NFL would even approve such a thing.

If Jacksonville were smart, and this would be a lot of fun actually, they would do what they can legally to use the lawsuit logo and original design in a minor league-esque "What Could Have Been" game during the next anniversary season.That would get people excited about the odd history of the franchise, get a lot of people to even see the design and logo for the first time, and just be a fun game and story to tell. It wouldn't be any more obscure than another team wearing a 1920s design that didn't survive a full decade let alone the stretch from then to modern day.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

The biggest problem with the Jaguars using the original logo as a throwback would be that the original logo and the current logo aren't dramatically different.  In the simplest terms, they are both profiles (more or less) of a spotted cat.  Making substantial use of throwback logos works much better when they are significantly different from the current logo, like Pat Patriot and Bucco Bruce.

Archived