Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

Jaguars fans prefer the original design by far. If you ask any fan, they'd prefer to go back to that.

I personally don't like the black pants with the teal jerseys. But if it has to be with black pants, please, keep it stripeless. The striped black pants were hideous.

2806464_display_image.jpg?1318450994

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

Jaguars fans prefer the original design by far. If you ask any fan, they'd prefer to go back to that.

I personally don't like the black pants with the teal jerseys. But if it has to be with black pants, please, keep it stripeless. The striped black pants were hideous.

2806464_display_image.jpg?1318450994

The reason why the stripes didn't work was because the black jersey featured minimal teal. The pants have to reflect that, which it didn't. 

However, with the white jersey and the teal numbers, it worked. 

tly9jhO.jpg

Go A's!

1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

The reason why the stripes didn't work was because the black jersey featured minimal teal. The pants have to reflect that, which it didn't. 

tly9jhO.jpg

I never knew they wore that...for some reason, I though the black pants came when they switched the numbers to black.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

at this point they should design new uniforms every 5 years, similar to how Oregon does it. they've never stuck with anything long enough to really build a signature look and everything they've worn has been trendy for its time. i'd hate to see them emphasize teal though, i think if theres one thing to keep consistent its a color hierarchy with a focus on black and gold, using teal as a trim. Teal is a better alt jersey color than gold, but they shouldnt push it so much as to look like Dolphins knock-offs.  

Definitely agree that some of their looks have gone with the trends of the times but their original uniforms were definitely a classy timeless look. that said, the way the jags have used teal with black accents in the past was a unique look for them and looked nothing like the dolphins. there are too many teams that wear all black or at least heavily emphasize black in the NFL-- teal uniforms from the jags were always a nice bright refreshing look in my eyes.

I get that jaguars are in reality black and gold, but they could nicely work in a "jaguar print" motif as a very subtle striping element. Teal unis, black striping on the arms with subtle gold jaguar "spots"worked in. Not a bad start to a look IMO.

also, the old logo was a modern classic.

I've seen a lot of people saying that they like the number font, but to me, it's far too pointy and needs to be toned down a tiny bit to look less like a nike stock font. it currently looks rather collegiate.

4 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

tly9jhO.jpg

I can see that, but I would disagree. I really dislike the center black stripe. Make the gold stripe thicker, make the center stripe white, and it would look better. 

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

11 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Would love if they went black helmet, teal jersey, black pants as an option. That was always my favorite Jags look.

52035500.thumb.jpg.2e04fb20de256bc64b59b0da6f606ef4.jpgold_teal_over_black2.jpg.72ee16281e877912656dc40bceb74837.jpg

I like the teal tops and black pants with the stripes. Not necessarily as the primary look, but fine as an alternate look twice-a-year. 

IMG_8465.JPG

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't think the Jags need huge changes beyond the helmets. They obviously need to get rid of their current two-tone eyesores and bring back the teal-flaked helmets.

As far as the rest of the uniforms are concerned, though, I actually like their current teal and white jerseys. The only changes I'd make to those would be to get rid of the contrasting sleeves and remove the "JAGS" shield from the front.

The other change they should make is to get rid of their boring black jerseys and replace them with the gold jerseys from their Color Rush set. They should wear teal primarily at home, white (obviously) on the road, and gold as the alternate. Black pants only with all three (except for Color Rush games), teal socks with the teal and white jerseys, gold socks with the gold jerseys.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

13 hours ago, elliott said:

Definitely agree that some of their looks have gone with the trends of the times but their original uniforms were definitely a classy timeless look. that said, the way the jags have used teal with black accents in the past was a unique look for them and looked nothing like the dolphins. there are too many teams that wear all black or at least heavily emphasize black in the NFL-- teal uniforms from the jags were always a nice bright refreshing look in my eyes.

I get that jaguars are in reality black and gold, but they could nicely work in a "jaguar print" motif as a very subtle striping element. Teal unis, black striping on the arms with subtle gold jaguar "spots"worked in. Not a bad start to a look IMO.

also, the old logo was a modern classic.

I've seen a lot of people saying that they like the number font, but to me, it's far too pointy and needs to be toned down a tiny bit to look less like a nike stock font. it currently looks rather collegiate.

the originals were pretty forward for the mid 90s. they were closer to the Ravens and Titans than say, the Packers and Bears. logo on the sleeves, custom number font, even using teal to begin with was a very 90s thing. but the reason i say they should not emphasize teal isn't because they uniforms look like Miami, but when you look at the brand on a much larger scale— in marketing, apparel, or when they can only use 1 color like a TV scorebug. whenever you see their logo what color should they use? something thats really unique and "owned" by another team in the same state? or try to distance themselves away from that?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the originals were pretty forward for the mid 90s. they were closer to the Ravens and Titans than say, the Packers and Bears. logo on the sleeves, custom number font, even using teal to begin with was a very 90s thing. but the reason i say they should not emphasize teal isn't because they uniforms look like Miami, but when you look at what the brand on a much larger scale— in marketing, apparel; whenever you see their logo what color should they use? something thats really unique and "owned" by another team in the same state? or try to distance themselves away from that?

Well to be fair to that point, Brandon...the Jaguars really only have two other ways to go with that: black, or gold. Two other teams in the league already stake claim to that: one up in Pittsburgh (it's yellow, I know--but we know they call it "gold"), and the other down in New Orleans. So of the three colors, which one affords them the best equity? That'd be teal. And in reality, their teal and Miami's aqua are far enough apart in shade that most can tell them apart without encroaching on the other's territory.

All that said...all this is really the fault of their former owner, Wayne Weaver. Up until 2001 (?) the Jags' uniforms and branding featured teal well enough; however that was  year the Jaguars' road jerseys went from having teal-base numbers to black-base numbers. I think it was '03 they introduced the black stripeless pants--and they've been Jekyll-and-Hyde ever since. The prevailing rumor at that time is that he felt teal was a "wimpy" color or some such. Whatever the case, that was really about the point  increasingly de-emphasizing the teal, and it's continued ever since.

As someone already mentioned, for about three years of their existence they had it exactly right:

jacksonville_jaguars_reggie_williams.thumb.jpg.e440d56352863a2a20d3a70cd1132ba2.jpgjimmy-smith.jpg.2cbc0c59c52d2b4bf38ff2f7bc21927e.jpg

Those were perfect updates of their original uniforms with a bit more flair and a whole lot of class. (Note: THAT is how a custom number font should be done!) And even their alternates from that timeframe were pretty slick as far as alternates go:

2806464_display_image.jpg.a68b2cf36efe12c3488db01ab615a0c5.jpg

Now compare that with the all-black alternate that followed circa '03:

82885875.jpg.f319c4e627e0621daa43cc39de7b41b4.jpg

(Amazing what difference a stripe will make.)

And from about then on, certainly on the road, this became their look:

06steelers_span.jpg.30604a5f18a5333a374a0333cf6ce5b6.jpg

(This pic right here alludes to my earlier point about the Jaguars' non-emphasizing of  signature teal shading  close to Steelers/Saints territory.)

As for their direction going forward, the more I think about it, perhaps it's the gold they should de-emphasize, standing on the strength of black and teal alone--with just enough gold mixed in to highlight but not smother. In fact, I know exactly where they should look for inspiration of "owning" teal. There's a team in the college ranks, the only one I can think of, that's been doing that for years: the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers:

Keanephoto.jpg.98a3482481cbe29bd92bafc68b32fe83.jpg12205927.jpeg.e6dda1dff83f9f5363f1f916fc97b863.jpeg12280637.jpeg.a9eb77ad3a8c00a0e152f60960d64cf8.jpeg

Perhaps that's the route the Jaguars should go.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I agree that the teal numbers are ideal for the Jaguars and that custom number font was a perfect look for them

I also love their original look. The striping on the pants matched the numbers. And even the numbers were a standard common font, it worked and balanced well. 

6-jaguars-upset-broncos-1996-playoffs_pg

My desire for the Jags is that they keep the teal numbers on the white jerseys. Go with teal as the primary colored jersey and reserve the black pants for the black tops. 

Also, I wondered why they switched to these stripes for one season. Was it to really emphasize black?

Old

72763146.0.jpg

New

Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Chicago+Bears+Svq

Go A's!

That teal/black mix @Buc describes would be better with teal socks and a tad bit more gold in the pants stripes (just enough to avoid the ugly "floating stripes" look).

I'd also like to chime in with a question, namely "How 'Florida' is Jacksonville?" I've always thought that it was culturally closer to the South than Miami and/or Tampa. I don't know many people from Florida, so I'm not sure how accurate that assessment is. I'd love to learn.

The above question has relevance to the Jaguars' color debate. Would they rather look too much like the Dolphins, or too much like the Saints? Tangentially, would there be much opposition to a teal/black co-dominant color scheme with small gold accents?

42 minutes ago, Buc said:

Well to be fair to that point, Brandon...the Jaguars really only have two other ways to go with that: black, and gold. Two other teams in the league already stake claim to that: one up in Pittsburgh (it's yellow, I know--but we know they call it "gold"), and the other down in New Orleans. So of the three colors, which one affords them the best equity? That'd be teal. And in reality, their teal and Miami's aqua are far enough apart in shade that most can tell them apart without encroaching on the other's territory.

I can vouch for this. Way back in middle school, I used to wear a Jaguars shirt that featured only black and gold and would always be questioned as to why I was wearing a Jaguars shirt that looked like a Saints shirt. I don't think that colors running over brand recognition is a big deal in a league that is nearly one-third navy (and not to mention one-fourth black teams). The Phins aqua is varied enough from the Jags teal anyway these days for them to overthink that issue.

For a franchise that is always going to be an underdog in brand recognition (at least until they can match the league's other tiny market-team's legacy of winning), the local fanbase is very important to the team. That's why they decided to wear a logo that says "JAGS," the name that they're called by their fans, on their jerseys. Being a Jacksonville native, I can tell you that these people love their teal. They call this place "Teal Town" for a reason. Growing up with this team is the reason why I'd consider teal to be my favorite color. Teal is as important to these people's identity as Jaguars fans as black is to Raiders fans. I don't know why you wouldn't give them that.

58 minutes ago, Buc said:

Well to be fair to that point, Brandon...the Jaguars really only have two other ways to go with that: black, or gold. Two other teams in the league already stake claim to that: one up in Pittsburgh (it's yellow, I know--but we know they call it "gold"), and the other down in New Orleans. So of the three colors, which one affords them the best equity? That'd be teal. And in reality, their teal and Miami's aqua are far enough apart in shade that most can tell them apart without encroaching on the other's territory.

All that said...all this is really the fault of their former owner, Wayne Weaver. Up until 2001 (?) the Jags' uniforms and branding featured teal well enough; however that was  year the Jaguars' road jerseys went from having teal-base numbers to black-base numbers. I think it was '03 they introduced the black stripeless pants--and they've been Jekyll-and-Hyde ever since. The prevailing rumor at that time is that he felt teal was a "wimpy" color or some such. Whatever the case, that was really about the point  increasingly de-emphasizing the teal, and it's continued ever since.

As someone already mentioned, for about three years of their existence they had it exactly right:

jacksonville_jaguars_reggie_williams.thumb.jpg.e440d56352863a2a20d3a70cd1132ba2.jpgjimmy-smith.jpg.2cbc0c59c52d2b4bf38ff2f7bc21927e.jpg

Those were perfect updates of their original uniforms with a bit more flair and a whole lot of class. (Note: THAT is how a custom number font should be done!) And even their alternates from that timeframe were pretty slick as far as alternates go:

2806464_display_image.jpg.a68b2cf36efe12c3488db01ab615a0c5.jpg

Now compare that with the all-black alternate that followed circa '03:

82885875.jpg.f319c4e627e0621daa43cc39de7b41b4.jpg

(Amazing what difference a stripe will make.)

And from about then on, certainly on the road, this became their look:

06steelers_span.jpg.30604a5f18a5333a374a0333cf6ce5b6.jpg

(This pic right here alludes to my earlier point about the Jaguars' non-emphasizing of  signature teal shading  close to Steelers/Saints territory.)

As for their direction going forward, the more I think about it, perhaps it's the gold they should de-emphasize, standing on the strength of black and teal alone--with just enough gold mixed in to highlight but not smother. In fact, I know exactly where they should look for inspiration of "owning" teal. There's a team in the college ranks, the only one I can think of, that's been doing that for years: the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers:

Keanephoto.jpg.98a3482481cbe29bd92bafc68b32fe83.jpg12205927.jpeg.e6dda1dff83f9f5363f1f916fc97b863.jpeg12280637.jpeg.a9eb77ad3a8c00a0e152f60960d64cf8.jpeg

Perhaps that's the route the Jaguars should go.

thats a solid argument for emphasizing teal, but im still not sold 100%. ill propose another idea: they should introduce a new color. this is a franchise that has nothing to lose, they're one of if not THE least popular team in the league and theres nothing really worth keeping from a historical point. i say they go black, teal, and copper. 

IMG_2867.JPG.7290d88a3b2cfa6382532d181548411c.JPG

the right amount of black would add just enough testosterone to make for a really unique and exciting look if you ask me :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

18 minutes ago, Kaz said:

The Jags should be wearing teal for sure; the Dolphins’ shade is more aqua nowadays, and considering how often they wear mono-white it’s not like anyone would confuse the two teams anyways

uniform wise you're right, but put 2 t-shirts next to each other or the 2 colors on a scorebug when they play each other and there will be confusion. im for a good dose of all 3 colors (even if one is a new swatch) but one has to be the primary and theres a lot more that goes into what makes it a good choice than just the jersey color

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived