Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at a bar in Hudson, Wisconsin last night and they had a helmet of every NFL team. Most helmets were throwbacks, which was awesome. The Jaguars helmet was the original helmet that was never used. I've never seen one in person before. It was beautiful. It makes me wish the 2 helmet rule didn't exist and that they could have a "throwback" uniform of sorts based on it. Also makes me wonder if a dark gray helmet would work on the new uniforms instead of black. Not saying they should, as I feel like black helmet/teal jersey is the way they should go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made the trip to Jacksonville this weekend (my first NFL game, and boy was it a good one!). Spoke to a lady who ended up being the owner of SportsMania, a local shop that has a ton of Jaguars gear. Got a lot of information from her, so here's the highlights:

• Remember the hat I shared a few pages back? Well, SportsMania has shirts that give a better look at the design. Good news - it's a SportsMania original design. It has nothing to do with the franchise. So that's debunked as a new logo for next season.

wpMMf3q.jpg

• She mentioned multiple times that new uniforms were coming next season. So that's even further confirmation. She did say Nike/Reebok has traditionally given retailers information regarding new designs around this time in the season, but they hadn't received anything as of yet.
  • According to her, Nike forced black on the Jaguars. Something about stock and teal was a different product ya-da-ya-da. The story she told had some holes, but I remember Shad Khan stating "the identity of the Jaguars will be in black going forward" when he bought the team. Either Nike forced teal out the final year of Reebok, or Khan made the decision himself. Again, holes were a many.
  • Speaking of teal, fans are demanding it, according to her. They struggle to find any teal items whatsoever, cause they just aren't made by Nike or Majestic at this point. Teal is very popular and her sales show it.
  • In an industry news, Nike has made retail life really difficult. She mentioned she used to call Nike directly every other day or so and order a few jerseys of any player. They now have set a minimum of 34 or so per player (I think is what she said).

That's all I got. She didn't give/have any info on any new designs for next year. I took a tour around EverBank, and the current font is literally everywhere. I know teams do it all the time, but I just don't imagine every sign being changed again. The old Jag head logo is still on the metal fence around most of the stadium.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Regarding the black piping jersey (I don't have another good name for it), that was probably part of a transition to the current set.  When the piping set was introduced, it was the former owner's intention to get the team back to a uniform look, no alts, and everything a certain way.  There was the teal jersey with white pants and the white jersey with black pants, and that was it.

It was also a time when the team wasn't doing great, they had just fired Jack Del Rio (Mularkey's one season wasn't any better) so how do you drum up a little revenue and excitement?  New jerseys, that's how, and so the new owner (Khan) got whatever kind of clearance he needed from the NFL to turn the formerly primary teal into an alternate jersey that year, and wore the black-on-black as the "primary" colored jersey.

Considering the fan reaction to the teal jerseys and the team is 2-0 in them this year, I would expect the new set to feature a lot more teal.

Not for nothing, but has a team ever worn an alternate jersey in the playoffs? 

22 minutes ago, JagAaron33 said:

Regarding the black piping jersey (I don't have another good name for it), that was probably part of a transition to the current set.  When the piping set was introduced, it was the former owner's intention to get the team back to a uniform look, no alts, and everything a certain way.  There was the teal jersey with white pants and the white jersey with black pants, and that was it.

It was also a time when the team wasn't doing great, they had just fired Jack Del Rio (Mularkey's one season wasn't any better) so how do you drum up a little revenue and excitement?  New jerseys, that's how, and so the new owner (Khan) got whatever kind of clearance he needed from the NFL to turn the formerly primary teal into an alternate jersey that year, and wore the black-on-black as the "primary" colored jersey.

Considering the fan reaction to the teal jerseys and the team is 2-0 in them this year, I would expect the new set to feature a lot more teal.

Chargers wore powder blue in a Wild Card game

Sproles,Darren2_Chargers.jpg

On 11/30/2017 at 8:51 AM, linkboy said:

Good.

I honestly don't mind their current uniform (the teal/black combo they wore recently looks good). They need to ditch that mistake of a helmet though. Just drags down a good color scheme.

I agree. And, MAYBE, bring back a more traditional block number font?

But, I'm not expecting a significant change except the stupid helmet and some minor jersey changes. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, JagAaron33 said:

Pretty sure that as long as you are using existing uniforms, you can designate whichever one you want as your primary color uniform each season. Only restriction is that you are limited to the number of times you can wear whichever one is designated as the alternate.

4 minutes ago, kimball said:

I agree. And, MAYBE, bring back a more traditional block number font?

But, I'm not expecting a significant change except the stupid helmet and some minor jersey changes. 

I'm actually a fan of the current number set. But yeah, if they go with a more traditional style uniform design it won't work. They need a more traditional number font like I'd think.

Just now, CitizenTino said:

Pretty sure that as long as you are using existing uniforms, you can designate whichever one you want as your primary color uniform each season. Only restriction is that you are limited to the number of times you can wear whichever one is designated as the alternate.

It wasn't an existing uniform, though. That black jersey was introduced mid-year.

7 hours ago, JagAaron33 said:

Teams also don't just make new uniforms out of the blue. We're told time and time again that it takes about two years to do these things. While it's nice to think teams introduce new uniforms because bad seasons for excitement and revenue, it's really not reality. 

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

7 hours ago, JagAaron33 said:

NFC championship game 1994(?), 75th season, Niners wore their throwback alts (also in SB XXIX) and the Cowboys wore their faux-throwback Double Star jerseys. 

On 19/12/2017 at 1:17 PM, Clintau24 said:

Made the trip to Jacksonville this weekend (my first NFL game, and boy was it a good one!). Spoke to a lady who ended up being the owner of SportsMania, a local shop that has a ton of Jaguars gear. Got a lot of information from her, so here's the highlights:

• Remember the hat I shared a few pages back? Well, SportsMania has shirts that give a better look at the design. Good news - it's a SportsMania original design. It has nothing to do with the franchise. So that's debunked as a new logo for next season.

wpMMf3q.jpg

• She mentioned multiple times that new uniforms were coming next season. So that's even further confirmation. She did say Nike/Reebok has traditionally given retailers information regarding new designs around this time in the season, but they hadn't received anything as of yet.
  • According to her, Nike forced black on the Jaguars. Something about stock and teal was a different product ya-da-ya-da. The story she told had some holes, but I remember Shad Khan stating "the identity of the Jaguars will be in black going forward" when he bought the team. Either Nike forced teal out the final year of Reebok, or Khan made the decision himself. Again, holes were a many.
  • Speaking of teal, fans are demanding it, according to her. They struggle to find any teal items whatsoever, cause they just aren't made by Nike or Majestic at this point. Teal is very popular and her sales show it.
  • In an industry news, Nike has made retail life really difficult. She mentioned she used to call Nike directly every other day or so and order a few jerseys of any player. They now have set a minimum of 34 or so per player (I think is what she said).

That's all I got. She didn't give/have any info on any new designs for next year. I took a tour around EverBank, and the current font is literally everywhere. I know teams do it all the time, but I just don't imagine every sign being changed again. The old Jag head logo is still on the metal fence around most of the stadium.

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully we get some design cues soon....

Jaguars

15 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

I think you have to let the NFL know within a certain amount of time if you're switching an alt into a primary. I remember the Broncos wanted to switch to the orange jerseys before they did, but had to wait an extra year because they hadn't let the NFL in on that idea in a timely enough manner. Apparently this doesn't always apply to helmets and pants for some reason (see: LA Rams).

5 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I think you have to let the NFL know within a certain amount of time if you're switching an alt into a primary. I remember the Broncos wanted to switch to the orange jerseys before they did, but had to wait an extra year because they hadn't let the NFL in on that idea in a timely enough manner. Apparently this doesn't always apply to helmets and pants for some reason (see: LA Rams).

It’s because the retail pipeline for pants is nonexistent, and the retail pipeline for helmets is decidedly smaller and more nimble than the one for jerseys (a premolded object with a decal vs. a designed, patterned, cut-and-sewn garment in multiple sizes and price points with screen printed and sewn twill graphics).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s because the retail pipeline for pants is nonexistent, and the retail pipeline for helmets is decidedly smaller and more nimble than the one for jerseys (a premolded object with a decal vs. a designed, patterned, cut-and-sewn garment in multiple sizes and price points with screen printed and sewn twill graphics).

Plus the helmets were the same color and finish for the Rams, which makes it simpler for retail sales.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 1 month later...

Archived