Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Absolutely perfect. To my mind, not only the finest uniform that the Jacksonville Jaguars have ever worn, but one of the best looking uniforms in the history of the NFL.

Preach it. Heck, they can even keep the current number style as a way to tie in the old with the new.

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Ehhh ... I still like the Jags in black. I guess it's because blue (aqua/teal) I associate more with the Dolphins. Black is their color like aqua (blue) is to the Dolphins and pewter is to the Bucs for the Florida teams. It also helps that no one else wears black in their division. 

Honestly, it confuses me why I keep seeing intrastate comparisons being brought up in these conversations. Being a Jags fan from Jacksonville, I spend very little time thinking about the other Florida teams, how we relate to them, and how we stack up against them in our respective "rivalries" (if one dared to even call them that). Heck, it wasn't until this very moment that I even considered who the best team in Florida was for this season (even though the answer is obvious). To me, they aren't "the other Florida teams." They're just "some other teams (who I happen to see often in the preseason)." With Florida being as big and diverse as it is, I don't think the teams should worry about what their niche in Florida is, brand-wise. Besides, Ohio has both a brown/orange team and a black/orange team (the latter of which is actually a ripoff of the former), New York gets away with two RWB teams, Texas has two teams that wear navy, and California has two navy teams as well. Are state lines really that relevant in NFL branding? Not if you ask me.

(The Dolphins don't even wear teal, anyway. They wear aqua. Completely different. ;))

1 hour ago, Gupti said:

Honestly, it confuses me why I keep seeing intrastate comparisons being brought up in these conversations. Being a Jags fan from Jacksonville, I spend very little time thinking about the other Florida teams, how we relate to them, and how we stack up against them in our respective "rivalries" (if one dared to even call them that). Heck, it wasn't until this very moment that I even considered who the best team in Florida was for this season (even though the answer is obvious). To me, they aren't "the other Florida teams." They're just "some other teams (who I happen to see often in the preseason)." With Florida being as big and diverse as it is, I don't think the teams should worry about what their niche in Florida is, brand-wise. Besides, Ohio has both a brown/orange team and a black/orange team (the latter of which is actually a ripoff of the former), New York gets away with two RWB teams, Texas has two teams that wear navy, and California has two navy teams as well. Are state lines really that relevant in NFL branding? Not if you ask me.

(The Dolphins don't even wear teal, anyway. They wear aqua. Completely different. ;))

I know it’s aqua, but the colors are very similar and from the same base color. I see your point, but I guess I’m more of a college football fan where team colors matter. Florida for instance has great contrasting colors among the Power 5 teams. I love that. I don’t see why pro football should be different in that regard?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I know the color debates can be long-winded and fruitless, but a quick Google search would suggest that aqua and teal are both halfway between green and blue on the color wheel, but with aqua being brighter and more saturated.. So neither are blue or green, they're both both.. For whatever that's worth

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I know it’s aqua, but the colors are very similar and from the same base color. I see your point, but I guess I’m more of a college football fan where team colors matter. Florida for instance has great contrasting colors among the Power 5 teams. I love that. I don’t see why pro football should be different in that regard?

For whatever reason, in college football, teams in the same state are a lot more familiar with each other and have a lot more pride over their in-state rivalries, even if they aren't even in the same conference. The idea of intrastate color balance becomes kinda cute in that regard. 

NFL teams, however, are multi-billion dollar businesses that play to beat whoever is in front of them to advance to the playoffs and, hopefully, the Super Bowl, no pride involved. There's no forced special regard between the Jaguars, Dolphins, or Buccaneers. With that being said, it would be weak as hell, I think, for the Jaguars to just concede the color to the Dolphins simply on account of them being "in-state buddies" whose home cities coincidentally fall within the same state borders. If the Jags wanna be teal, there's no reason they shouldn't do what they want, regardless of whether Jacksonville is a Florida city or if it decided to secede and become its own state (which wouldn't be too far-fetched considering that it is pretty massive).

Maybe it would make more sense to me for the Jags and Phins to have completely different colors if, after a particular season, I thought "Well the Jags sure sucked this year, but at least we beat those DARN DOLPHINS," but I don't. The state just doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, Gupti said:

For whatever reason, in college football, teams in the same state are a lot more familiar with each other and have a lot more pride over their in-state rivalries, even if they aren't even in the same conference. The idea of intrastate color balance becomes kinda cute in that regard. 

NFL teams, however, are multi-billion dollar businesses that play to beat whoever is in front of them to advance to the playoffs and, hopefully, the Super Bowl, no pride involved. There's no forced special regard between the Jaguars, Dolphins, or Buccaneers. With that being said, it would be weak as hell, I think, for the Jaguars to just concede the color to the Dolphins simply on account of them being "in-state buddies" whose home cities coincidentally fall within the same state borders. If the Jags wanna be teal, there's no reason they shouldn't do what they want, regardless of whether Jacksonville is a Florida city or if it decided to secede and become its own state (which wouldn't be too far-fetched considering that it is pretty massive).

Maybe it would make more sense to me for the Jags and Phins to have completely different colors if, after a particular season, I thought "Well the Jags sure sucked this year, but at least we beat those DARN DOLPHINS," but I don't. The state just doesn't matter.

To add to your point, Jacksonville is 1 mile closer to Atlanta than it is to Miami (city to city, not stadium to stadium, but still..), so the state boarders don't suggest any level of proximity or connection between the two organizations.. The college-minded "state championships" and rivalry games just don't exist at the professional level, and I think a lot of that started with the regional nature of the NFL's earlier days.. Typically only one team existed per state, and only 3 or 4 per region, and not all played in the same league/conference, so there was much less reason to be concerned with proprietary colors and unique identities..

Even if the Dolphins and Jaguars wore the exact same shade of aqua/teal, the secondary colors would be sufficient to distinguish them.  The Dolphins wear aqua and orange/white, so they look bright and sunny (for lack of a better word).  On the other hand, the Jaguars wear teal and black, which makes them look much darker even when they are wearing teal jerseys.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

May I ask- what is with the obsession over standard block numbers? This is almost the freshest identity in the league, a new team with no huge tradition just yet. I think the font they have now is actually pretty good, as long as the uniform matches it. Do we really want to premier league this and make everyone wear the same font? I’ll pass there, let the one team that very well could keep it difffent and not wear the standard do that

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

10 hours ago, Gupti said:

I agree completely.  This idea that there's some sort of connection between the Dolphins and the Jags is just weird, and even if there was, I'm not sure why the (kind of) similar colors should matter.  It reminds me of the debates we have on here about the Nebraska and Wisconsin football uniforms.  People who are not fans of either get all bent out of shape about the similarity, but fans of one or the other will chime in to (rightfully) say, "that's our uniform... why should we care what they wear?"

52 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

May I ask- what is with the obsession over standard block numbers?

The obsession is that, 9 times out of 10, block number look better than some of the forced, over-designed, and down right ugly custom fonts we see (the Bucs, the Ravens, the Eagles, the Chargers, etc.).

10 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The obsession is that, 9 times out of 10, block number look better than some of the forced, over-designed, and down right ugly custom fonts we see (the Bucs, the Ravens, the Eagles, the Chargers, etc.).

Funny that someone named oldschoolvikings would leave one of the most egregious offenders to the "etc." category.

tempmin-det-action-7-102515-1-010-nfl_me861711270-green-bay-packers-v-minnesota-

"Stan, toss me another 2."

"Do you mean a left 2 or a right 2?"

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I feel in the Jags’ case, especially with them being a modern team, their late 90’s to early 2000’s numbers was a perfectly apt custom font for them moreso than the standard block font. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

2 hours ago, bowld said:

Have none of our industry insiders seen the unis yet? Usually we have a few sources dropping hints for us

If I asked this question I would have been stoned and ridiculed.

If there was any news then it would have been posted.

Jaguars

12 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Absolutely perfect. To my mind, not only the finest uniform that the Jacksonville Jaguars have ever worn, but one of the best looking uniforms in the history of the NFL.

Couldn't agree more. Great color palette. Unique but not distracting number font. Excellent sleeve logo. Great balance. Great striped without over-doing it. My favorite NFL uniforms of all time. 

2 hours ago, bowld said:

Have none of our industry insiders seen the unis yet? Usually we have a few sources dropping hints for us

Mentioned a few pages back that Nike and the team have been incredibly hush hush about this whole thing with retailers. Retailers typically have some idea at this point, but the one I spoke with said they have zero idea, just know it's happening.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

2 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

Mentioned a few pages back that Nike and the team have been incredibly hush hush about this whole thing with retailers. Retailers typically have some idea at this point, but the one I spoke with said they have zero idea, just know it's happening.

Intriguing. I wonder if they have any idea about whats in store for the Titans?

Jaguars

40 minutes ago, Teal said:

If I asked this question I would have been stoned and ridiculed.

If there was any news then it would have been posted.

Hey now, at least give me a moment to get my stones polished and ready. ?

Remember, everyone, that if there is anyone here who knows something and hasn’t spoken up yet, it’s probably because their job security is on the line and they should be left be. I’m sure some good news will come soon on its own; the Lions new logo was unveiled at the very beginning of February last year.

Archived