Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Claystation360 said:

I keep getting told that the gold has been killed, To what effect that means or all gold period is TBD. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well there was NO gold in the recent press releases so that that for what its worth....

Jaguars

23 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

I keep getting told that the gold has been killed, To what effect that means or all gold period is TBD. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The team president just said gold is still in the color scheme. Top of page 37.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, kimball said:

A few thoughts ...

1) I doubt we'll see a return to ANY previous jersey as a full-time jersey. That rarely happens in the NFL -- outside of who? San Francisco? Do the Jets/Giants count?

2) I sure hope by traditional they mean just the helmet and maybe more a conventional number font? The Jags are a 90s team they should embrace that era. If they are going to embrace teal, embrace it like a true 90s team. That's their traditional. Plus, I think we're reading too much into it (I hope).

3) I'd be happy less hard edges, swooshes, random lines, etc. but I'd be REALLY disappointed if they tried to replicate a Giants, 49ers, Jets ... traditional look. 

I love the number font and would be fine if it stayed (though I don't expect that to happen).  I don't think it is really that unconventional.  It has a few unusual angles, but it's not that far removed from a traditional block font (perhaps with the exception of the open 4).

NFL-Jacksonville-Jaguars0.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I love the number font and would be fine if it stayed (though I don't expect that to happen).  I don't think it is really that unconventional.  It has a few unusual angles, but it's not that far removed from a traditional block font (perhaps with the exception of the open 4).

No, it's nowhere close to a conventional number font. It's not just a few unusual angles, that's what the whole font number is about -- is the angles.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

17 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

That doesn't mean there is gold in the uniforms. The logo is gold. So gold can both be in the color scheme and also killed in the uniforms.

I think the gold uniform is killed. Will likely see gold accents in the uniforms (meaning teal and black will be the prominent colors and get the most attention when discussed at a high level).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

When in a single color it looks great. The problem comes when they add double outlines and some of the points get a little too close. I'd like to see them go with a single outline or no outline if they keep those numbers, or modify them with a shallower angle.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, leopard88 said:

i'm with you.  I think that's a pretty nice modern font, with the exception of the "3", which bugs me.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The team president just said gold is still in the color scheme. Top of page 37.

Which I am aware of, but gold will always remain in some aspect because of the logo, just depends on to what point it gets relegated to and I am getting told that Gold is dead. So to what extent that is remains to be seen. I just hope it's not as dull as the dark ages uniforms, I'd like to see some gold remain in the uniform. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I understand that speculate is what we do here, and maybe I’m just being an old person, but it seems really hyper lately. Like everything the team says is being analysed five different ways.

Social media talks about “teal, black, and white”? Well maybe ALL the gold is gone! 

What about the logo? Maybe it’ll stay gold! Maybe not though! Jacksonville Snow Leopards????

But wait! Someone said gold is staying? But what does that mean? Besides the obvious that gold is staying????

The team is saying Coughlin is very traditional and had a hand in designing the uniforms! LOOK TO THE GIANTS, EVERYONE!

Never mind that the Giants’ current retro-inspired look pre-dates Coughlin’s tenure with the team!

Maybe they’ll go traditional, like their 90s look! But 90s team! TRADITION IS BAD! Coughlin is traditional but he better not be too traditional! Not for this 90s team that wore a traditional uniform in the 90s! 

90s!!!!

I exaggerate, but I hope you all get the point. Calm down. Stop treating everything as a surefire sign of the best or worst case scenarios.

Let’s calmly go through some facts about what we know. 

1) The team has been using stark black and white and teal and white stuff on social media. Maybe it’s indicative of the direction they’re going in. Maybe not though. Teams do stuff with their social media presence that doesn’t tie in with their uniforms all the time. 

2) The team has said that gold is staying. Meaning the logo will remain gold at the very least. 

3) The two-tone helmets are going away. @McCarthy is right. This can only be an improvement. 

4) Coughlin had nothing to do with the Giants’ current brand. So stop using it as proof of what you think he’d like the Jags to look like. 

5) Coughlin’s involvement has been said to have pushed the uniforms in a “traditional” direction, but that could mean any number of things. A uniform that’s nothing but a slight update of their innagural season look would qualify as traditional. As would turning them into the teal and black version of the Giants. 

All we know is “traditional,” which could mean pretty much anything given how out-there their previous set was. 

Jusy try to stop obsessing over every little thing, guys. The new unis will be out in April. No use driving yourselves into a frenzy with baseless speculation when we’ll all know what they look like in less than three months. 

2 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

"That" being their apparent aversion to a traditional helmet stripe, given the gradient hoop through which they jumped to avoid one.

It seems like they’re going in a completely different direction this time around though. Whatever “design philosophy” they held to back in 2013 is out the window. 

I’m not saying they will have a traditional helmet stripe. It’s something the team has never done, even when they had a very conservative look. 

I’m just saying I wouldn’t use any of their decisions circa 2013 as proof that they definitely won’t have one this time around. 

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

It seems like they’re going in a completely different direction this time around though. Whatever “design philosophy” they held to back in 2013 is out the window. 

I’m not saying they will have a traditional helmet stripe. It’s something the team has never done, even when they had a very conservative look. 

I’m just saying I wouldn’t use any of their decisions circa 2013 as proof that they definitely won’t have one this time around. 

I am suggesting it is a philosophy still present from 1995, simply carried out in an extreme way in 2013. Like you said, even an return to something hyper-conservative would make a helmet stripe break their historic conventions.

25 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

DO NOT GO BACK TO THE STANDARD BLOCK NUMBERS OR THOSE RIDICULOUSLY THICK PANT STRIPES IN THEIR INAUGURAL UNIS

I don't think that's going to be a problem, I'm pretty sure in the past 10-15 years the NFL tries to stay away from them on redesigns. I'd have to look for a source, but I believe because the block number fonts are easier to counterfeit? 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 minutes ago, kimball said:

I don't think that's going to be a problem, I'm pretty sure in the past 10-15 years the NFL tries to stay away from them on redesigns. I'd have to look for a source, but I believe because the block number fonts are easier to counterfeit? 

Block number fonts aren’t any easier or harder to counterfeit than any other sort of number font. 

The reason the NFL avoids standard block is because standard block can’t be trademarked. The NFL wants their teams to own everything about their looks, down to the number fonts. 

That’s why the Cardinals and the pre-redesign Vikings have/had fonts that are/were essentially block, but tweaked just enough for the teams to trademark them. 

Even then though? The NFL still uses and sells throwbacks that use block fonts. 

Hell, the Bills’ last redesign used standard block font. Meaning that even in an era when the NFL wants all new unis to have proprietary fonts? Teams will still go with block if that’s what they really want to do.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Block number fonts aren’t any easier or harder to counterfeit than any other sort of number font. 

The reason the NFL avoids standard block is because standard block can’t be trademarked. The NFL wants their teams to own everything about their looks, down to the number fonts. 

That’s why the Cardinals and the pre-redesign Vikings have/had fonts that are/were essentially block, but tweaked just enough for the teams to trademark them. 

Even then though? The NFL still uses and sells throwbacks that use block fonts. 

Hell, the Bills’ last redesign used standard block font. Meaning that even in an era when the NFL wants all new unis to have proprietary fonts? Teams will still go with block if that’s what they really want to do.

I've been searching where I've read it, but that makes sense. Either way, I highly doubt we'll see a return to the block font from the Jags. 

kimball banner.png

So there are people who really think that helmets like this don’t look like trash and the cheap toy version of an actual football helmet?

D33_FB562_B848_4_C6_E_BF69_323277_FC7_F4

Coulda fooled me. Can the football world just end its fascination with novelty helmet finishes already? Given that I expect the next redesign to persist longer than the last few, I’ll be really ticked if the Jags stick themselves with a novelty trend on their heads for twitter clicks (which they won’t) when they’re obviously trying to get things completely right with this update.

Archived