Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Block number fonts aren’t any easier or harder to counterfeit than any other sort of number font. 

The reason the NFL avoids standard block is because standard block can’t be trademarked. The NFL wants their teams to own everything about their looks, down to the number fonts. 

That’s why the Cardinals and the pre-redesign Vikings have/had fonts that are/were essentially block, but tweaked just enough for the teams to trademark them. 

Even then though? The NFL still uses and sells throwbacks that use block fonts. 

Hell, the Bills’ last redesign used standard block font. Meaning that even in an era when the NFL wants all new unis to have proprietary fonts? Teams will still go with block if that’s what they really want to do.

Yeah basically if I take a red shirt or jersey and put a white block 10 on it (but no wordmarks or NFL shield) then I'm fine, and basically have a Jimmy Garrapolo jersey, but if I take a purple shirt or jersey and put a white 12 on it in the Vikings font (but no other logos or wordmarks) then my Case Keenum jersey is probably infringing on trademarks or something (assuming I'm doing it for commercial purposes).  Just gives them more ammo when going after counterfeiters who try to exploit loopholes or play in the gray areas.

EDIT:  OK, so Keenum is 7 and not 12.  Whatever.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My assumption is it has at least something to do with who's allowed to customize a jersey, also.  It used to be, you saw a lot of blanks (numberless jerseys) which you could get any number put on at your local Mom & Pop sporting goods store... I've got a few older jerseys that I did just that with back in the 90's.  Now if you want it to look right, you have to either get it from the NFL shop, or a licensed dealer.

20 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

My assumption is it has at least something to do with who's allowed to customize a jersey, also.  It used to be, you saw a lot of blanks (numberless jerseys) which you could get any number put on at your local Mom & Pop sporting goods store... I've got a few older jerseys that I did just that with back in the 90's.  Now if you want it to look right, you have to either get it from the NFL shop, or a licensed dealer.

Were blank NFL jerseys really that big of a thing?  I've definitely seen them, but not in a real long time, and even when I did (late 80s early 90s) it was really rare.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Were blank NFL jerseys really that big of a thing?  I've definitely seen them, but not in a real long time, and even when I did (late 80s early 90s) it was really rare.

I'm not sure how prevalent they were across the country, but in SE Mich/ NW Ohio we used to have a store called Value City which was a goldmine for stuff like that. They all went belly up in the early 2000's, but I got a ton of blanks, NFL, NHL, and colleges, dirt cheap back then.

4 hours ago, Gupti said:

So there are people who really think that helmets like this don’t look like trash and the cheap toy version of an actual football helmet?

D33_FB562_B848_4_C6_E_BF69_323277_FC7_F4

Coulda fooled me. Can the football world just end its fascination with novelty helmet finishes already? Given that I expect the next redesign to persist longer than the last few, I’ll be really ticked if the Jags stick themselves with a novelty trend on their heads for twitter clicks (which they won’t) when they’re obviously trying to get things completely right with this update.

Never go full matte. 

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I understand that speculate is what we do here, and maybe I’m just being an old person, but it seems really hyper lately. Like everything the team says is being analysed five different ways.

Social media talks about “teal, black, and white”? Well maybe ALL the gold is gone! 

What about the logo? Maybe it’ll stay gold! Maybe not though! Jacksonville Snow Leopards????

But wait! Someone said gold is staying? But what does that mean? Besides the obvious that gold is staying????

The team is saying Coughlin is very traditional and had a hand in designing the uniforms! LOOK TO THE GIANTS, EVERYONE!

Never mind that the Giants’ current retro-inspired look pre-dates Coughlin’s tenure with the team!

Maybe they’ll go traditional, like their 90s look! But 90s team! TRADITION IS BAD! Coughlin is traditional but he better not be too traditional! Not for this 90s team that wore a traditional uniform in the 90s! 

90s!!!!

I exaggerate, but I hope you all get the point. Calm down. Stop treating everything as a surefire sign of the best or worst case scenarios.

Let’s calmly go through some facts about what we know. 

1) The team has been using stark black and white and teal and white stuff on social media. Maybe it’s indicative of the direction they’re going in. Maybe not though. Teams do stuff with their social media presence that doesn’t tie in with their uniforms all the time. 

2) The team has said that gold is staying. Meaning the logo will remain gold at the very least. 

3) The two-tone helmets are going away. @McCarthy is right. This can only be an improvement. 

4) Coughlin had nothing to do with the Giants’ current brand. So stop using it as proof of what you think he’d like the Jags to look like. 

5) Coughlin’s involvement has been said to have pushed the uniforms in a “traditional” direction, but that could mean any number of things. A uniform that’s nothing but a slight update of their innagural season look would qualify as traditional. As would turning them into the teal and black version of the Giants. 

All we know is “traditional,” which could mean pretty much anything given how out-there their previous set was. 

Jusy try to stop obsessing over every little thing, guys. The new unis will be out in April. No use driving yourselves into a frenzy with baseless speculation when we’ll all know what they look like in less than three months. 

I agree.  This forum seems to nit pick(still, EVERYONE has a right to an opinion) a lot more than it use to and like I referenced too in an earlier post, I was quite surprised by members of this forum getting sucked in with the 4 jersey idea. That said, I will always come here to enjoy one of my favorite hobbies.

8 hours ago, joekono said:

I agree.  This forum seems to nit pick(still, EVERYONE has a right to an opinion) a lot more than it use to and like I referenced too in an earlier post, I was quite surprised by members of this forum getting sucked in with the 4 jersey idea. That said, I will always come here to enjoy one of my favorite hobbies.

Don't most teams have 4 jerseys? That shouldn't surprise anyone.. Home, road, alt, color rush... Pretty standard

Twitter fashionistas:

"Two-toned helmets are pretty ridiculous"

"Yeah, but check out this two-toned helmet that is STRAIGHT FIRE!!!!! because it's different".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Twitter fashionistas:

"Two-toned helmets are pretty ridiculous"

"Yeah, but check out this two-toned helmet that is STRAIGHT FIRE!!!!! because it's different".

#nailedit

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 2/12/2018 at 8:20 AM, JagAaron33 said:

Regarding the font I am of the same mind you are.  They not only use the font on the Twitter but also throughout their website, on most all the media releases, and throughout stadium signage and it's part of the graphics package for the scoreboard and stuff.  I really, really hope it stays.

I have the feeling that it will be changed. If thy used any other font though, people would jump on it as the incoming change, even if it wasn't. It makes things easier to stay with the current fonts until the unveiling then change everything at once. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived