Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Then again, so are white numbers on a uniform with no white.

It still wouldn’t be optimum, but heavy gold number trim, gold instead of teal on the sleeve and pant stripes, and teal socks with a gold stripe would do wonders for this.

I disagree almost wholeheartedly.. White numbers on a colored jersey are always ok.. ALWAYS..

Plus, there IS white on the uniform, thanks to that stupid chest logo (and helmet logos as well)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that mockup doesn't convince me that this will be an upgrade at all. It's safe which is fine, but it's safe to the point of being dull especially for a team like the Jaguars.  I feel like people are so blinded by their hatred of the last set's two-tone helmets that they overlook the rest of the uniform design which is actually really solid.

On that note, it's frustrating to me that the Jaguars seem to be so consistently insecure in their brand to the point that any identity that they may have had is lost. If you look at their history, you can practically imagine the focus group comments and any fad of the moment directing each change to the point where they overdo it each time. From the start, teal was meant to be the primary color with gold and black accents. It's baffling to me why they can't just stick to that. Since that first set, they've tried both bringing black to the forefront and removing gold altogether, and both times it resulted in a dull look that couldn't measure up to that inaugural look. They finally got a good color balance with their 2013 Nike set, and now they're going to throw it out again to return to a look that is really reminiscent of the 2009 set because the criticisms of those gimmicky helmets scared them. 

Of course I'll still hold out on a final opinion until the official unveiling, but I am really disappointed if these are the changes that they decided to make. It's the same thing all over again. I can practically picture yet another Jaguars thread just like this in 5 years. Oh well, maybe they'll get it right then. 

spacer.png

Soooo...they're turning into the Carolina Panthers South? And a solid black home uniform is so stupid. They'll literally wear it 2x a year. For some Sunday/Monday night game and for a home game sometime in December when it's not 90* out.

Just now, FSUViking said:

Soooo...they're turning into the Carolina Panthers South? And a solid black home uniform is so stupid. They'll literally wear it 2x a year. For some Sunday/Monday night game and for a home game sometime in December when it's not 90* out.

Eh, I don’t really see what exactly is “Panthers” about it, other than the claw-like stripes that people keep trying to give to the Panthers in concepts here.

Heck, I’d love for them to be the Panthers of the South, actually. They’re the 90’s cat team that’s actually held onto their classic 90’s uniform for all of these years with just a couple of tweaks and very few complaints to be had (barring a few gripes over templates).

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I disagree almost wholeheartedly.. White numbers on a colored jersey are always ok.. ALWAYS..

Plus, there IS white on the uniform, thanks to that stupid chest logo (and helmet logos as well)

Nothing is always okay. There’s ALWAYS an exception. Making this uniform predominantly black and white rather than black and teal would make it even more drab than it already is.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

52 minutes ago, FSUViking said:

This is the biggest issue with using black as the primary color, it doesnt work in FL. Teal over white can be worn all year, but it seems like Shad really wants to use black.

I know it was probably unintentional but the team really pushed the "FOREVER TEAL" message most of the year. I thought that message along with how well the alternates were received this year (they wore them twice) pretty much confirmed teal was going to be back. 

That being said the end result when confirmed doesn't surprise me at all. They are still going to look great with a super bowl logo on them.. 

16 minutes ago, Ajarzebra said:

This is the biggest issue with using black as the primary color, it doesnt work in FL. Teal over white can be worn all year, but it seems like Shad really wants to use black.

I know it was probably unintentional but the team really pushed the "FOREVER TEAL" message most of the year. I thought that message along with how well the alternates were received this year (they wore them twice) pretty much confirmed teal was going to be back. 

That being said the end result when confirmed doesn't surprise me at all. They are still going to look great with a super bowl logo on them.. 

Per a store owner in Jacksonville, the fans ate up everything that was teal - shirts, hats, jerseys, whatever. Teal was a big hit and was expected to be expanded in the future, in the retail department at least. Just take a look at the Fanatics stores for the Jags. It's all black, with more gold being available than teal. Especially the official Nike stuff. 

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Nothing is always okay. There’s ALWAYS an exception. Making this uniform predominantly black and white rather than black and teal would make it even more drab than it already is.

White numbers on colored jerseys are ALWAYS ok.. Teal numbers on a black jersey (in American football) are NEVER ok.. This is an epic fail

Considering how much JAX fans have been clamoring for teal, I don't see how this will satisfy them. The all-black will make some 13-year-old boys happy, but it's not a good look and so far from the timeless look that is so easily within reach for the Jags. Frustrating. 

This looks like yet another miss that will be erased in 5 years. 

14 minutes ago, Esco said:

I’m thinking the all black with teal numbers is a color rush uniform. Like the next Niners.

torrey_smith_black.jpg?w=2000&h=1200&cro

Nope. It’s the primary home uniform. 

2 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Considering how much JAX fans have been clamoring for teal, I don't see how this will satisfy them. The all-black will make some 13-year-old boys happy, but it's not a good look and so far from the timeless look that is so easily within reach for the Jags. Frustrating. 

This looks like yet another miss that will be erased in 5 years. 

With the numbers/lettering/stripes being teal, this will be the most teal they have had on their primary jerseys since they used to wear teal at home back in 2011. Before I seen the set, the word on the street was still black primary with more teal, I figured the numbers would end up being teal with a white outline based on the owners black,teal, and white comments. Really wanted to see a gold outline, but I’m ok with the set. I actually like the black better than the teal set this time around. 

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

White numbers on colored jerseys are ALWAYS ok.. Teal numbers on a black jersey (in American football) are NEVER ok.. This is an epic fail

And the exception to that one is if there is sufficiently weighted bright trim on them.

As it stands, though, this is probably the worst set of jerseys this team has ever worn.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

And the exception to that one is if there is sufficiently weighted bright trim on them.

As it stands, though, this is probably the worst set of jerseys this team has ever worn.

Heavy bright trim doesn't fix the issue at all.. I speak from experience as a former radio broadcaster and current coach.. It is infinitely more difficult to quickly identify players when the numbers are colored (even with a bold/bright outline) than when the numbers are white 

3 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Heavy bright trim doesn't fix the issue at all.. I speak from experience as a former radio broadcaster and current coach.. It is infinitely more difficult to quickly identify players when the numbers are colored (even with a bold/bright outline) than when the numbers are white 

I’m not saying it’s optimum, just that it’s passable if designed properly and if the color scheme works.

10 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I’m not saying it’s optimum, just that it’s passable if designed properly and if the color scheme works.

The issue is primarily due to nature of football.. Baseball doesn't have this issue because of the slow pace, lots of standing around, and immense spacing of players.. Basketball is also mostly immune to this issue due to the smaller numbers of players and comparatively large amount of spacing during most of the game..

With football, you have, generally speaking, 14-16 players in a pretty confined area (the "box"), where the majority of the action takes place.. There's so much traffic with players moving quickly, colliding, falling, etc, that accurately following and identifying anything more than the ball-carrier becomes difficult without the stark contrast of white numbers on colored jerseys and colored numbers on white jerseys.. In still photos and HD close-ups, sure we can usually make out the number of the primary focus player, but in real-time live-action games (And even when reviewing film from an HD camera), our minds don't register outlines as number forms.. It requires our brains to perform an extra level of translation to fully identify the number, which can often take a split second too long, or at the very least, make things much more inconvenient..

It bothers me that the jaguar head is facing away from the player. Seems way more natural for it to be facing in toward the chest rather than away. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It bothers me that the jaguar head is facing away from the player. Seems way more natural for it to be facing in toward the chest rather than away. 

That was my biggest concern with the design too. But people complained about them flipping the Jaguar on the last jersey.

With that in mind, I don’t get why they didn’t just put it in the middle. The shield was over the heart because it was Shad Khan showing that he was committing to the city by honoring the military history of Jacksonville with a military style patch over the heart of the jerseys. It doesn’t need to be that way for the Jaguar.

Archived