Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

I think it's fascinating to watch the Jaguars go through this process. In 2013, they're just another crappy Florida team stabbing in the dark, right next to the Buccaneers and Dolphins. I mean, if you're going to try and do what I'm doing here, which is try and draw conclusions about the franchise's outlook/performance and their uniform mindset, you've got to highlight how poetic it is that Justin Blackmon was the 2013 redesign poster child. 

The Jaguars are now experiencing a resurgence as a franchise. Coughlin, the defense, the AFC Championship game. It all feels different, much like "Seattle Seahawks" began to feel different between the "Beastquake" and the 2012 offseason/season (uniforms + Wilson + playoff appearance). 

I can't help but watch in a kind of amazement how once these uniforms are unveiled, this shift in our perception of the Jaguars will reach a tipping point.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

I think it's fascinating to watch the Jaguars go through this process. In 2013, they're just another crappy Florida team stabbing in the dark, right next to the Buccaneers and Dolphins. I mean, if you're going to try and do what I'm doing here, which is try and draw conclusions about the franchise's outlook/performance and their uniform mindset, you've got to highlight how poetic it is that Justin Blackmon was the 2013 redesign poster child. 

The Jaguars are now experiencing a resurgence as a franchise. Coughlin, the defense, the AFC Championship game. It all feels different, much like "Seattle Seahawks" began to feel different between the "Beastquake" and the 2012 offseason/season (uniforms + Wilson + playoff appearance). 

I can't help but watch in a kind of amazement how once these uniforms are unveiled, this shift in our perception of the Jaguars will reach a tipping point.

Like, we might respect the franchise again?

4 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

So, this was just posted today

Coughlin's comments here and elsewhere have resonated with me recently. I think it's interesting that he speaks to having been involved in the original concept process, which means they started on this redesign very early once Coughlin was hired on. Also, have to think the leaks aren't entirely true based on these "traditional, classic, distinctive" "National Football League uniform" comments.

Also, this:

Can't speak to Cole's legitimacy here on this topic, but it is good to see gold isn't entirely gone, if this is true. Larger helmet logo is interesting. I sometimes feel like the logo could be larger, and I hope it's not too large. Just a small increase would be nice.

Sounds good except for the flat helmet finish...and even that can look good, it just doesn't usually.

12 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It's more like they respect themselves. We're kind of watching the team change how it views itself in front of our eyes. Paying attention to their Twitter presence, the choices they're making with these uniforms, etc. It all just feels like they're re-internalizing how they see themselves as an organization. Like, I don't think it was even possible for the Jaguars to have a sense of "tradition" in 2009 or 2013. It now feels like enough time has passed, this new success, fans expressing a desire for teal, that's made this sort of reevaluation possible.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

7 minutes ago, Gupti said:

Something I’m on the edge of my seat for is Nike’s behind the scenes video they’re gonna release alongside this. I mean, they’re basically gonna have to come out and talk about how much they botched the one they just did 5 years ago, right?

Much like Mark McGwire in front of Congress, Nike won't be here to talk about the past.

It's where I sit.

45 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Hopefully Jacksonville goes with the anonymous player model instead of a roster player. 

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

2 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

Also, this:

Can't speak to Cole's legitimacy here on this topic, but it is good to see gold isn't entirely gone, if this is true. Larger helmet logo is interesting. I sometimes feel like the logo could be larger, and I hope it's not too large. Just a small increase would be nice.

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Welp.

1 hour ago, Claystation360 said:

Cole is legit, but it's not Flat unless something changed.

It's been called flat/matte by many reporters, which is ultimately the same finish.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

The Jaguars need gold to look great. Simply teal and black is too cold and dated looking to me. Outside of that, I really hope that the "distinctive" part of that tweet really shows through in the uniforms. That will be the key. Most Jaguars fans clearly want something more reserved, I just hope that they don't take it too far like those leaks may lead us to believe.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So is he a troll or is he legit?

He is a legitimate source most times but also says stuff to troll folks but mostly opponents but normally it's simple enough to read between the lines with him when he does. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

14 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I never really respected them in the first place... I always felt that their early success was handed to them via cartoonish expansion advantages, presumably to ensure success in a new market... after that first wave of talent faded, they became pretty irrelevant until recently.

9 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I never really respected them in the first place... I always felt that their early success was handed to them via cartoonish expansion advantages, presumably to ensure success in a new market... after that first wave of talent faded, they became pretty irrelevant until recently.

I'd say most of their success was due to Tom Coughlin rather than cartoonish expansion advantages. Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, and Fred Taylor became Jaguars due to good front office moves, not "Your new market needs to be good" expansion advantages.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

54 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'd say most of their success was due to Tom Coughlin rather than cartoonish expansion advantages. Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, and Fred Taylor became Jaguars due to good front office moves, not "Your new market needs to be good" expansion advantages.

You could argue that the luxury of having Rob Johnson to trade for the pick that became Fred Taylor was a residual effect of the 14 extra draft picks the league handed them over their first few seasons.

The advent of free agency was relatively new when both teams were founded, which gave both teams the unique advantage of building a team around developed veterans in a way no other team had before... if I'm not mistaken, both teams received some favorable salary cap help, too, which made signing free agents easier.

The Browns and Texans certainly didn't get that kind of help in their well-established markets. JAX & CAR made great decisions with those advantages, but it seemed like the Jags really collapsed when the impact of those advantages faded away.

Archived