Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, JagAaron33 said:

The only uniform design-related tweeting the Jags' PR rep did before announcing that the State of the Franchise was this week and saying the new uniforms would be shown around that time was checking on a hat for someone.

He is referring to tweets like this:

Yeah I’m a little confused about these rumors we’ve seen. To me, returning to tradition looks something like this:

2012537-bobby-shaw-and-kevin-lockett-loo

tony-boselli-offensive-lineman_pg_600.jp

I would even accept this (with a solid black helmet), as the color balance of teal, black, and gold still makes them look like the Jaguars. And I know because this is Nike, that it will be something of a reinterpretation rather than an outright throwback. The white jersey from their current set is really the only one that still feels remotely traditional.

usatsi_9781417.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Even this one isn’t terrible. It’s not great, but it still looks like the Jags. Just a bit bland and generic and missing the warmth of the gold, but the teal is prominent.

54caabc189506.image.png

This, with its black numbers, is far from traditional:

Jaguars-NFL-Nike-Elite-51-Uniform-Altern

Nor are these possible leaks traditional. Sure, the helmet is fixed, and teal is prominent, however, traditional for the Jags doesn’t include introducing a Color Rush looking set with dark numbers on a dark jersey.

teal.jpg

blaock.jpg

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Also, I can't envision the team having all this "Return of Tradition" talk and then come out with black primary jerseys. Black primary jerseys aren't traditional for the Jaguars in any way, shape, or form. Our tradition is teal jerseys with a black alternate. 

1 hour ago, ColJag said:

Folks need to expand their idea of what "tradition' is entailing.

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Then this would be the ultimate Nike speak, as per usual. 

I think ColJag hit the nail on the head. *Your* (and many others’) interpretation of the phrase “Return to Tradition” is obviously an educated connection of the dots from Tom Coughlin > used to be the coach > what did the Jaguars wear back then? > execs and marketing keep talking about teal > the fans love teal > and so on to a final conclusion that the new look is going to be heavily inspired by the original look, but that’s still just an interpretation of a pretty vague (probably intentionally vague) marketing phrase. It very well could also be interpreted to mean the Jaguars are simply going back to *a* traditionally styled uniform, and I think those leaked images as well as the updated descriptions from sources certainly could qualify as “a traditionally styled uniform” (a simple color palette, single color typography, relatively austere sleeve and stripes, very few bells and whistles, etc.).

Side note, give ColJag a break. He came here with a good, humble attitude, isn’t acting at all like a flyby rumor troll, and some of you guys are ready to run him out.

If you’re skeptical of his motives and/or information (and you don’t know for sure whether it’s correct or not), then just ignore it and don’t spread it. Everyone will have a chance to shoot their (much better informed) hot take out of a t-shirt cannon on Thursday. Driving away new members before you have a good reason to is silly.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I think ColJag hit the nail on the head. *Your* (and many others’) interpretation of the phrase “Return to Tradition” is obviously an educated connection of the dots from Tom Coughlin > used to be the  coach > what did the Jaguars wear back then? > execs and marketing keep talking about teal > the fans love teal > and so on to a final conclusion that the new look is going to be heavily inspired by the original look, but that’s still just an interpretation of a pretty vague (probably intentionally vague) marketing phrase. It very well could also be interpreted to mean the Jaguars are simply going back to *a* traditionally styled uniform, and I think those leaked images as well as the updated descriptions from sources certainly could qualify as “a traditionally styled uniform” (a simple color palette, single color typography, relatively austere sleeve and stripes, very few bells and whistles, etc.).

Ha, that is not at all where my interpretation comes from. It is not an educated connection. It's looking at the phrase "return to tradition" in and of itself. The supposed leak, if it is indeed close to the new design, does not fit under that definition in my book because 1) it isn't a traditional NFL uniform look (simple/plain does not equal traditional) and 2) it isn't a traditional look for the Jaguars. Keeping a black jersey isn't a "return to tradition", it's "keeping the look we currently have". As is black numbers on a teal jersey. 

4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Side note, give ColJag a break. He came here with a good, humble attitude, isn’t acting at all like a flyby rumor troll, and some of you guys are ready to run him out.

If you’re skeptical of his motives and/or information (and you don’t know for sure whether it’s correct or not), then just ignore it and don’t spread it. Everyone will have a chance to shoot their (much better informed) hot take out of a t-shirt cannon on Thursday. Driving away new members before you have a good reason to is silly.

I'm not driving him away. If someone is going to make claims, I'm going to ask about those claims and express doubts if I don't find them believable. I haven't made a single personal attack or anything. I've been pretty civil and kept it related purely to the Jaguars new uniforms. I understand this take may not have been directed at me, but please don't quote me when providing a lecture for the whole forum. But all in all, aside from 1 DanParker comment, things have been pretty civil. It's not like we've been arguing over the shape of a number and where it is used in a uniform. So we have that going for us here.

I guess I need to apologize in case I came across as hostile.  I made the Dan comment and it was a knee-jerk reaction to what I read as restating the "leaks."

Sorry, Col Jag.

I think that Coughlin's quote about, when some of the early Jags wind up in the Hall of Fame (Boselli soon, Taylor hopefully eventually) that they would be recognized now as then in a Jags jersey leads us to automatically think that teal is the main color in this set.  We will see.  Tradition for me is teal away numbers, but I also like the teal-flaked helmets in an otherwise funky set.  Too, the current teal alternate is pretty sharp looking.  So it's all, I guess, up for interpretation until we hit Thursday morning.  

17 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

To me, returning to tradition looks something like this:

Bingo! Given the history of the franchise, THIS is what I consider the Jacksonville Jaguars' "traditional" look. In my opinion, it is easily the best looking uniform the team has ever worn. In fact, I consider it one of the best uniforms in the league's history.   

2 hours ago, ColJag said:

Im sure the forum will be skeptical of a first-time poster, but from a guy who provided me some correct information a couple months ago about the Jags unis, I was told a few things over the weekend:

- The primary home jerseys are still black, not teal as has been speculated.

- The numbering and wordmark is white on black jerseys, black on white away, and black on teal alternates. (Yes, there is a teal alternate)

- The jersey numbering is "modern block" font. 

- The ONLY gold at all, is the Jaguar head logo patch replacing the prior shield.

- Teal is used on the black jersey around the collar and sleeves, in a very "traditional style", and some piping on the pants. 

- Helmet is flatish black, but not full matte if that makes sense, with a slightly larger Jaguar head logo that we are used to.

Team is doing a "sneak peak" tonight for contest winners, but dont expect too much leaked as they have all signed NDAs prior to accepting invite.

Have you seen them yourself, or just go the description?

30 minutes ago, JagAaron33 said:

I guess I need to apologize in case I came across as hostile.  I made the Dan comment and it was a knee-jerk reaction to what I read as restating the "leaks."

Sorry, Col Jag.

I think that Coughlin's quote about, when some of the early Jags wind up in the Hall of Fame (Boselli soon, Taylor hopefully eventually) that they would be recognized now as then in a Jags jersey leads us to automatically think that teal is the main color in this set.  We will see.  Tradition for me is teal away numbers, but I also like the teal-flaked helmets in an otherwise funky set.  Too, the current teal alternate is pretty sharp looking.  So it's all, I guess, up for interpretation until we hit Thursday morning.  

No apology is necessary. I posted with the understanding that anything submitted would likely have much doubt casted upon it. I would too, and I have previously with other posts, as I have been a long-time reader of this forum.

I am a Jags fan as well. To me, the best uniforms they ever had were the late 90s-early 00s, and it would be my preference as well but anyone expecting a return to those will be disappointed.

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Yeah I’m a little confused about these rumors we’ve seen. To me, returning to tradition looks something like this:

I could see, and would hope, a return to an updated version of this uniform. I can imagine them going with this except with the current number font, similar stripes on the sleeves and maybe a black collar.

9 minutes ago, Gr3g3 said:

Have you seen them yourself, or just go the description?

Full disclosure, I have not personally viewed them, but have had them described to me. 

I can tell you I discussed these details with some other folks I know who have different affiliations to the team, and to a person, this information was corroborated.

The only information I could not verify full were the pants & there was some disagreement on the font color for the teal jersey. 

Archived