Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

They should. So many teams in all of sports use black as their primary color. Only two (Sharks, Hornets) use teal as a primary color. Jags should get back on that. 

...and there is my argument, in a nutshell.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

All the signs are pointing in the right direction...this is some of the best uniform-related news for me in 2017.

I've long thought the Jacksonville Jaguars have elements from all 3 of their major uniform iterations that can be worked into a new look: The original (or 1997ish-2009) jerseys and pants without that odd black side panel, the teal-flake helmet from 2009-2013, and the current logo and use of gold. That said, and in spite of its chunkiness, I do kinda miss the original helmet logo.

You could possibly simplify the current logo or add just a little more detail to the original. Granted, I don't see a gold-flake or all-gold helmet being the worst idea either, if they can balance it with the rest of the uniform.  I also like @Lights Out's concept that eliminates any black jersey but makes black the default pant color, though I think I prefer to keep the black jersey around (and pants) while eliminating the gold Color Rush™ jersey but having gold pants be the main or second pants option.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

In a piece about the teal uniforms for Big Cat Country, the Jaguars' SB Nation site, Alfie Crow writes:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/10/18/16495204/new-jaguars-uniform-teal-alternate-bengals-2017

"I’m burying the lede a little bit but, I can confirm the rumors that have been bouncing around Twitter that the Jaguars will indeed have brand new uniforms for the 2018 season. I don’t know for sure, but I would assume the helmet will also change, for those who are asking.

I do not know any specifics or details of what the new uniforms are, other than teal will be more prominent than the team’s current iteration."

59 minutes ago, JagAaron33 said:

In a piece about the teal uniforms for Big Cat Country, the Jaguars' SB Nation site, Alfie Crow writes:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/10/18/16495204/new-jaguars-uniform-teal-alternate-bengals-2017

"I’m burying the lede a little bit but, I can confirm the rumors that have been bouncing around Twitter that the Jaguars will indeed have brand new uniforms for the 2018 season. I don’t know for sure, but I would assume the helmet will also change, for those who are asking.

I do not know any specifics or details of what the new uniforms are, other than teal will be more prominent than the team’s current iteration."

Excited it is sorta "confirmed" here. But the part he says at the end is really confusing: "The teal uniforms worn on Sunday, per NFL rules, will be the only time they wear that iteration this season..." What rule is he quoting that these teal jerseys can only be worn once?

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Excited it is sorta "confirmed" here. But the part he says at the end is really confusing: "The teal uniforms worn on Sunday, per NFL rules, will be the only time they wear that iteration this season..." What rule is he quoting that these teal jerseys can only be worn once?

I'm guessing he just kind of fumbled an explanation of normal alternate rules here. Of course they could wear the teal up to two times a season if they wanted to. However, the team itself has a bit of a personal mandate to use the teal very, very sparingly. Way back when they released the new logos, Khan himself likened the to-be-unveiled teal jersey to the green of Notre Dame as far as rarity and fanfare goes (although those still come out annually, if I'm not mistaken).

EDIT: Looks like he crossed up the "per NFL rules" part.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:05 PM, DustDevil61 said:

I've long thought the Jacksonville Jaguars have elements from all 3 of their major uniform iterations that can be worked into a new look: The original (or 1997ish-2009) jerseys and pants without that odd black side panel, the teal-flake helmet from 2009-2013, and the current logo and use of gold. That said, and in spite of its chunkiness, I do kinda miss the original helmet logo.

Nailed it (though I'd simplify the Jags logo a little so it's closer to a Panthers/Cardinals update of the original).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I prefer the original logo because it's more sports logo while the current logo is more illustration. The original gets the same message across while using fewer lines. Plus it had that cool full body jaguar for the sleeves. Both them and the Bengals should bring their full bodied secondary logos back. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 hours ago, JagAaron33 said:

Well this is FANTASTIC news.

Jaguars

At the minimum, the Jaguars should switch to their third jersey as their main home jersey like the Broncos did a few years ago. Even that would be a considerable improvement, especially if they got a new helmet, which I think if they did switch to their third full time, I would like to see a matte black helmet. In all honesty though, I'm positive most people will disagree with me on this but I would actually like to see the Jaguars just start over with a brand new color scheme. I get the reasoning for people wanting teal and I do think it is good reasoning but Miami has worn teal for decades and they are in the same state as the Jaguars. I don't know but for me, I wouldn't mind seeing the Jaguars possibly try something new in terms of colors, but, I think most of us can agree that their original jerseys were the best and if they went back to those, I would be all for it. 

1 hour ago, Teal said:

Guys any ideas/suggestions as to what the new 2018 unit will look like?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

I’d like Nike to get as close as possible to the inaugural set , even use the older logo. The new one is ok but it looks like a high school logo. I was never a fan of the teal flake and I think matte looks atrocious.

These are beauties, I still can’t believe that out of the two expansion teams that the panthers are the ones who haven’t changed their uniforms. 

3335A030-86D1-45AE-B336-C1FD31298075.jpeg

DDA0CBB8-91D0-4FD4-B2B6-2A22B51F66E3.jpeg

2 hours ago, Teal said:

Guys any ideas/suggestions as to what the new 2018 unit will look like?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

It would be a horrible move if they got rid of the teal numbers on the away jerseys homage.  That is one of the best things about the new set; from when the black pants/black alts were introduced and they moved to black numbers on that it killed the nostalgia - the Jags had some of their best wins in those classic away uniforms.  So hopefully that stays.

I don't think they go teal helmet, but who knows?  That would be a bold change.

The black-numbers-on-teal-jerseys is not the best look but I would expect more teal, maybe more like a 70/30 look that can somehow incorporate teal but get rid of the sleeves, because that's kind of awful.

I like the IDEA of the stripes on the shoulders but the execution was not great.  I'm sure they can come up with something, I just don't want a teal Starfleet uniform like the Titans have right now.

Archived