Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

34 minutes ago, henburg said:

The Houston Texans, Carolina Panthers, and the Denver Broncos come to mind. More recently, the Lions and Vikings have adopted great modern sets. I also love the Seahawks' look, although that'd be much more controversial here. 

I would NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NEVER EVER EVER call the Broncos a contemporary classic.  I think it's trash that bred more trash, and looked like dated '90s experimentation shortly after it was released.

You can have contemprary elements on traditional bases and still appear classic.  Panthers certainly had non-traditional (at the time) striping on their pants and helmets, but don't ever need to change their look.  The old Jags look used a non-traditional font, non-tradional (but not unheard of) different-colored helmet from dark jersey, and a non-traditional color and could be wearing that set for the next 50 years.  Disagree on the Lions and Vikings - the'll both be changing in a few years and their look can absolutely be traced to this era.

Arguably the Eagles fall into this, because whether you like the look or not, it's been unchanged for 15 seasons and really doesn't have any obsolete elements.  Even their logo looks like it could have been drawn just yesterday, despite being 22 years old.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, no pants stripes? At least put the logo on each hip. I like the simplicity, but as others have said it needs pants stripes and more gold. This is like a game-tying FG when they had an opportunity for a last second TD. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Based on the information and mockups @j'villejags has posted (beautifully rendered btw) - I am whelmed. They aren't ugly, but they are boring.

Side note on black primaries: It kills me when teams have totally unique color schemes within their league and don't use them to their full potential. The Jags own teal in the NFL, why wouldn't they make that the dominant color in all aspects of their brand? 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, JViking5 said:

Every team has to choose between a modern or classic identity. To have a modern uniform, the design must be updated frequently to keep up with the trends. To have a classic uniform, the design must be so simple that it doesn't require updating even when the trends are changing around them. To be successful in either direction, you have to go all in. The best uniforms in sports are the ones that did something so unconventional that they stuck or they are so simple that they've lasted long enough to grow on everyone. The Jaguars seem to be choosing the classic direction so they've simplified their uniform to the basics of their identity. Be frustrated with their team identity, not the design.

I suppose it depends on how long a uni has to last to be anointed as a classic, but I generally agree. In my opinion, longevity is a prerequisite for the classic label. Green Bay, Kansas City, both NY teams, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Oakland, Indy, & Washington all more or less fit this bill, in my book... and they all did it by keeping it simple.

The Texans.  16 years and no sign of slowing down.

(opinion, of course)

edit:  didn’t quote because I thought/assumed the post above would  be the one asking about contemporary uniforms that aren’t outdated 

8 minutes ago, GFB said:

Inverted nameplates? Hm.

If I am interrupting his tweet correctly, I think the jersey in the tweet is a pic of a jersey he got last year from Wal-Mart, that he believes resembles Conrad Burry's mockup.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Judging by the mockups, I hate these. No gold, bland striping & a standard block font.... the one good thing here is the Helmet, but everything else is just bland & blah. IMO, use the original set as the base, use the current/I guess now the "old" font & have the teal jerseys be the primaries.... that to me, minus maybe a few tweaks with striping, would be all the Jaguars ever had to do to have themselves a terrific look. These lack GOLD so much. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Just now, HailGoldPants said:

If I am interrupting his tweet correctly, I think the jersey in the tweet is a pic of a jersey he got last year from Wal-Mart, that he believes resembles Conrad Burry's mockup.

Good catch. That’s not the most coherent set of tweets.

Everyone's said that there needs to be gold (which there does) and there needs to be pants stripes (which there needs to be as well), but I think a teal-flake helmet would have worked really well here. Instead of expanding the logo, why not try to be new yet not overly garish with the teal flakes? Complements the predominantly teal and black color scheme and also gives a unique quirk to a fairly bland redesign. 

9 hours ago, j'villejags said:

I like em. The mono teal might actually be somewhat passable with the black socks.

Hopefully the pants have stripes. Otherwise they’re going to have the same terrible yoga pant look as the Ravens and Saints do.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I would NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NEVER EVER EVER call the Broncos a contemporary classic.  I think it's trash that bred more trash, and looked like dated '90s experimentation shortly after it was released.

You can have contemprary elements on traditional bases and still appear classic.  Panthers certainly had non-traditional (at the time) striping on their pants and helmets, but don't ever need to change their look.  The old Jags look used a non-traditional font, non-tradional (but not unheard of) different-colored helmet from dark jersey, and a non-traditional color and could be wearing that set for the next 50 years.  Disagree on the Lions and Vikings - the'll both be changing in a few years and their look can absolutely be traced to this era.

Arguably the Eagles fall into this, because whether you like the look or not, it's been unchanged for 15 seasons and really doesn't have any obsolete elements.  Even their logo looks like it could have been drawn just yesterday, despite being 22 years old.

Call me biased, but I have to completely disagree about the Vikings. I've been a Vikings fan for 26 years and I haven't heard one negative thing about these uniforms from any type of fan. I've lurked on these boards for seven years and the only negative comments I've seen have been about the numbers. But if you compare those to other Nike creations, the Vikes are in great shape.

21 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Hopefully the pants have stripes. Otherwise they’re going to have the same terrible yoga pant look as the Ravens and Saints do.

As long as the socks and pants are the same color, pants stripes wouldn't save the look.  It might make it marginally better... like with pants stripes, the black pants w/ black socks look is garbage, and without pants stripes it's absolute garbage.

To be a proper NFL uniform, there needs to be a contrast of color between the pants and socks.  100% of the time, no exceptions.

15 minutes ago, gek_6 said:

Call me biased, but I have to completely disagree about the Vikings. I've been a Vikings fan for 26 years and I haven't heard one negative thing about these uniforms from any type of fan. I've lurked on these boards for seven years and the only negative comments I've seen have been about the numbers. But if you compare those to other Nike creations, the Vikes are in great shape.

It's a fine uniform, but a uniform can look good but still be a product of an era and not classic.  I predict that in a few years, things like the satin helmet, extra black, and trying-too-hard number font will all harken back to this era of uniform design and they'll be ready to either jump on the next trend or revert to something even more traditional.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

As long as the socks and pants are the same color, pants stripes wouldn't save the look.  It might make it marginally better... like with pants stripes, the black pants w/ black socks look is garbage, and without pants stripes it's absolute garbage.

To be a proper NFL uniform, there needs to be a contrast of color between the pants and socks.  100% of the time, no exceptions.

I agree but I’ve pretty much accepted/become numb to the fact that teams are allergic to striped socks and aren’t smart enough to wear contrasting socks so I have to settle for pants stripes to break up the yoga pants looks even if it’s just a little. The Ravens and Saints still like a lot worse than teams with stripes.

Archived