Russell Athletic to cease producing uniforms

johnnysama

http://www.alexcityoutlook.com/2017/09/28/russell-to-cease-production-of-athletic-uniforms/#undefined.uxfs

Some sad news in the above article: Russell Athletic, which at one time supplied uniforms to many colleges/universities and even for teams in the professional ranks (MLB and NFL) will be transitioning away from unifrom manufacturing.

The article states that the company will now focus on apparel for the consumer market, and their uniform division had been in serious decline since Nike and Under Armour began taking over the uniform contracts of many colleges/universities and pro leagues.

It is sad that this is happening, I think. But not surprising, due to the aforementioned decline. They put out some good uniforms back in the day (and the pro jerseys they made for retail were pretty sturdy, too). :( 

UBwef0L.png

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

Welp, there goes any chance of Russell getting the NFL contract; would have been great seeing Russell Wilson wearing a Russell jersey and holding a Wilson football :D

Well, Wilson brand is still making uniforms. Still might be hope for them lol

You know what... Wilson may actually benefit from this. I know of a lot of high school teams that wear Wilson. A buddy that's involved in coaching said their prices are comparable with those Russell offered and the uniforms are pretty durable. Not to mention Wilson appears to offer better uniform designs than Russell. Wouldn't surprise me to see more HS, youth and lower level college teams wearing Wilson in the near future. At least those that can't afford to buy stuff from the big three.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

54 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I know right? I mean, with a name like Russell Wilson, you're pretty much predestined to play some kind of sport.

Even without the brand names Russell Wilson is still a Super-Jock TM name!

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, RealSkillsAbraham said:

The high school in my area uses Russell as their football uniform supplier

is Russell the "supplier", or do they just order out of the Russell 2017 catalog at the mom-and-pop sporting goods store?  

It kinda sucks that NBA, NFL, and NHL (and soon MLB) uniforms are now made by "lifestyle / performance" brands, rather than traditional sporting-goods brands (Wilson, Champion, Russell, Rawlings, MacGregor, etc.)  That's why we have so much of this silliness with "icon" and "association" and "the mismatched numbers represent the diversity that binds the city and the shadows show that the team is moving forward - always in the direction of the sun" and not enough "OK look here a55holes.  We're the godsdamned Lakers, you hear me?  The motherf   ing Lakers.  You're going to make us a yellow jersey, you hear me?  You're going to make us a purple one - you listening?  If you come back with anything else, I'm going to stuff it in your fat mouth - because we're the MOTHERFU   ING LAKERS, AND OUR BRAND IS BIGGER THAN YOURS."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2017-12-29 at 5:28 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

is Russell the "supplier", or do they just order out of the Russell 2017 catalog at the mom-and-pop sporting goods store?  

It kinda sucks that NBA, NFL, and NHL (and soon MLB) uniforms are now made by "lifestyle / performance" brands, rather than traditional sporting-goods brands (Wilson, Champion, Russell, Rawlings, MacGregor, etc.)  That's why we have so much of this silliness with "icon" and "association" and "the mismatched numbers represent the diversity that binds the city and the shadows show that the team is moving forward - always in the direction of the sun" and not enough "OK look here a55holes.  We're the godsdamned Lakers, you hear me?  The motherf   ing Lakers.  You're going to make us a yellow jersey, you hear me?  You're going to make us a purple one - you listening?  If you come back with anything else, I'm going to stuff it in your fat mouth - because we're the MOTHERFU   ING LAKERS, AND OUR BRAND IS BIGGER THAN YOURS."

Good G-d yes. 

Amen. 

On 12/29/2017 at 5:28 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5719761

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not only are they stealing the Eagles logo, they're wearing it backwards!  Good that those kids are being taught that 1) stealing property is OK, 2) don't be creative because someone else can do your work for you and you can just take it, and 3) don't worry about details, just do the job as quickly and cheaply as possible then call it a day, even if you did it completely backwards.  Losers.

That's not the eagles logo. It's 3 lighting bolts forming an E. It's eastview high school in Minnesota and their the lightning. Don't be a dick to high school kids if you can't even :censored:ing see straight

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

5 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

That's not the eagles logo. It's 3 lighting bolts forming an E. It's eastview high school in Minnesota and their the lightning. Don't be a dick to high school kids if you can't even :censored:ing see straight

My bad - it looked like the right side of the Eagles head.  I've seen that before so just assumed that's what it was.  The E is actually pretty cool, though I don't like blue on black.

Happy new year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived