2017 MLB Postseason Thread

Crabcake

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LMU said:

Us Dodger fans currently:

allthepitchers.png

And me as a Dodgers fan: Congrats on the NL pennant, Cubs.

Ugh... This is exactly the Cubs team I didn't want the Dodgers to face. One that keeps finding ways to get hits. Maybe Kersh will finally have a truly good playoff outing and the Dodgers will finally have some LCS offense. I figure if they don't win Game 1, it's over. They win Game 1, they might legit have a shot to finally get back to the WS.

So the four remaining teams are in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th-largest metro areas in the country, respectively.

[insert thinking emoji here]

Anyway, hoping for Astros-Dodgers. I can't believe I'd ever be rooting against the Cubs in the playoffs after the 2015 NLCS, but... time has come.

53Ocz8U.png

It's comical how the baseball gods literally will not EVER throw the Nats a bone.

It's almost to the point where whoever plays the Nats might as well get a bye to the NLCS.

Seriously, it's an absolute joke that a guy like Dusty Baker has no October success and yet Ned Yost has a ring and almost got 2.

I mean, DC and the Indians.... seriously, find someone else to torture, gods. They deserve better for once and yet the freaking ROYALS have a title.

The last time a big 4 D.C. Sports franchise (aka not D.C. United) won a title was the 1991 NFL Franchise. I'm convinced that there won't be another one until Dan Snyder is gone. 

I feel bad for full time D.C. sports fans who have to deal with the Caps, Nats, Wizards, and the football team year round. I at least get a break with the Ravens and Orioles. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

It's comical how the baseball gods literally will not EVER throw the Nats a bone.

It's almost to the point where whoever plays the Nats might as well get a bye to the NLCS.

Seriously, it's an absolute joke that a guy like Dusty Baker has no October success and yet Ned Yost has a ring and almost got 2.

I mean, DC and the Indians.... seriously, find someone else to torture, gods. They deserve better for once and yet the freaking ROYALS have a title.

Good god, will you ever be pleased! If the Royals winning in 2015 didn't make your heart feel nice, then I have half a mind to call you the grinch.

5 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Good god, will you ever be pleased! If the Royals winning in 2015 didn't make your heart feel nice, then I have half a mind to call you the grinch.

As long as it's not the Yankees or Cubs I'll be happy. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oh god... if it's Yankees-Cubs in the World Series, I'm going to barf. I want both teams to get massacred in the Championship Series so badly that their fans and the tears they produce is enough to fill a bath tub for me to bathe in.

5 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Oh god... if it's Yankees-Cubs in the World Series, I'm going to barf. I want both teams to get massacred in the Championship Series so badly that their fans and the tears they produce is enough to fill a bath tub for me to bathe in.

Why such vitriol?  

I get it, the Yankees are a hateable team because they won 4 titles in the 90s and are historically one of sport's most successful franchises.  Yeah, the Cubs won last year so they inherit all the bandwagon hate and Red Sox-ian contempt, blah blah.

It's just such an unoriginal hatred is all.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That was an historically disastrous half inning for Scherzer and the Nationals. Check this out. 

That is an impressive way to lose. The missed call on the bat hitting Weiters, who had a TERRIBLE game, getting a third out and not getting out of the inning, and then Weiters going little league and throwing the ball into the outfield was so so Nationals. That's not Dusty Baker's fault and this time I do feel for the guy. 

I don't get the Cubs hate. Not yet, at least, though, there was this one 22 year old Cubs fan in my section of GABP this past summer that could've used a knuckle sandwich or two, neither here nor there. But the Cubs went through such tough times for so long that it seems weird to turn on them this early. We at least waited until 07 to start hating the Red Sox fans. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't have a dog in the fight, anymore. At that point, I typically just default to the team with the longest championship drought. Between never winning one and Harvey, Go Astros!

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I guess you guys are forgetting something when it comes to hatred in sports: it's based - in part or in full -  due to resentment and irrationality. No, it doesn't make sense for me to hate the other Chicago team that a good chunk of friends and family root for. But then again, cheering for overpaid athletes to play sports for my entertainment is pretty irrational when you look at it. Like Deadspin pointed out last Fall, the Cubs don't have to be lovable anymore. Think about it: If you really loathe a team - and we mean, loathe, not just dislike - what would it take for you to start thinking the opposite? If we had the rematch we thought we would, I'm highly skeptical any Cubs fan would dare utter, "Y'know, I hope the Tribe gets this one. It's been like 70 years for them." 

On an aside, I toss out an open ended question for Dodgers/Cubs fans. How do you feel about this match-up going forward? I tend to agree with an assessment 538 came out with a while back that said the Cubs had fallen back to the mean on a few baseball metrics and aren't the unstoppable force they were last year. When I think back to how they won, I never really doubted they were gonna beat the Giants or Dodgers. Like other championship teams in the last decade, you could sort of feel how the eventual winner would catch the breaks. Clutch hits, big outs, key scores when they needed them. This year, I get the sense the Cubs are pretty beatable and some better management from Dusty could've helped with that. However, like the Cubs last year, LA has something to prove. Kershaw and crew have the talent and just for a change of pace, I'd be okay with the narrative of Grandpa Utley getting another ring. 

Dodgers in 7. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

1 hour ago, Alex Houston said:

On an aside, I toss out an open ended question for Dodgers/Cubs fans. How do you feel about this match-up going forward?

I think the Cubs kind of blew their wad in order to beat the Nats.  I don't fear LA like I used to, but the Cubs need Lackey to throw a complete game in order to rest some blown out arms.  

Then again for all I know the Cubs could come up and lay up 12 runs a game in a sweep.  I just don't know.  They're a weird, resilient team that is successful in spite of themselves sometimes.  

Nothing about this series will surprise me whatsoever.  My gut says Dodgers in 6, but who the hell knows.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I think the Cubs kind of blew their wad in order to beat the Nats.  I don't fear LA like I used to, but the Cubs need Lackey to throw a complete game in order to rest some blown out arms.  

Then again for all I know the Cubs could come up and lay up 12 runs a game in a sweep.  I just don't know.  They're a weird, resilient team that is successful in spite of themselves sometimes.  

Nothing about this series will surprise me whatsoever.  My gut says Dodgers in 6, but who the hell knows.

I think this sums up any predictions for me.  Given the seasons both teams have had and their recent (and long-term) postseason histories, who knows.  Cubs in 4, Dodgers in 4 and anything in between makes sense to me.

My gut says Cubs because they seem to find a way and that becomes habit-forming (as does losing; I don't have to tell Cubs fans).  

I want the Astros in the AL because the Yankees are going to go to a lot of World Series in the near future and because there's just something so weird (and, therefore, cool) about seeing the Astros in the World Series against any NL team...if you're old enough (and I am) you may still think of them as an NL team (I do).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

I still feel like  Washington's pen said, "I like Torrey Pines in October better than in November, hold my beer!"

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived