2017 MLB Postseason Thread

Crabcake

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

It is pretty amazing that it took nearly 30 years for the Dodgers to return to the World Series.  Like the Cardinals, they rarely have seasons where they aren't competitive and don't seem to have a prolonged stretch where they've been dreadful.  I can't recall many losing seasons from them since 1988.

There haven't been that many. The thing is that since the wild card era, the playoffs have become such a crap shoot. Many "good" teams fall short because they get to play that one hot team. See: this year's Indians. While it cheapens the regular season a bit, it also adds a lot of fun to the postseason. It's kind of fun to watch those hot teams sneak in and shake things up... as long as it's not your team being eliminated!

Anyway, I'm glad the Dodgers ended this series in five. Gives them time to rest up, and hopefully have Seager back for Game 1. (Although honestly, Culberson has been great. I say keep him in and have Seager come off the bench as a pinch hitter/DH if he's not 100%). And please, please, please, do not let Granderson in the WS at all. I think Keke showed he's just a bit better when it matters most.

8 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Wow. I can't believe this game. My team is finally in the World Series for the first time in my life. Very happy!

The Cubs came back from 3-1, so I'm sure they can come back from 4-1. 

2 hours ago, FGM13 said:

The payroll tells me I should hate the Dodgers but I really like this team.

It's cliche, but I think what impressed me a lot about this Dodgers team (and several others throughout the league) is that they built this team "the right way." So many of the young guys came up through the rebuilt farm system. Sure, the payroll is huge and certainly helped to get some big free agents, but seeing all this young talent working their way through the minors to the majors is always great. Every team that made the postseason this year is going to be good for years to come, because all have good farm systems, which is so important.

1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

The Cubs came back from 3-1, so I'm sure they can come back from 4-1. 

Hah... I wouldn't doubt it at all. I was actually convinced that the Cubs would steal the series if they had won tonight. Game 5 is the swing game, and while the Dodgers would be heading home, suddenly losing two games after largely dominating the first three really messes with momentum.

Game 5 being won by the Yanks is the reason I think they're going to win the ALCS. I don't think they'll win Game 6, Verlander is just too good, but now it's a best-of-three series, with the Yanks already up one. I think they'll win Game 7, they've just sort of got that mojo right now, especially with Judge being able to hit again.

Both Yankees & Astros are interesting matchups for the Dodgers. 

I have gut feeling though that if the Yankees make it, Reality is going to finally set in for them and they're going to get swept. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

8 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

Both Yankees & Astros are interesting matchups for the Dodgers. 

I have gut feeling though that if the Yankees make it, Reality is going to finally set in for them and they're going to get swept. 

Fine with me...

I think Astros-Dodgers will be better from a "quality" standpoint. Both teams largely led their leagues most of the season, and I think the pitching matchups will be great to see. Yankees-Dodgers is neat because of the classic rivalry, but I agree it seems like the Yanks are doing great or not so great. Seems to depend largely on if they can get Judge going or not. No matter what, though, gonna be a good World Series this year. And on a slightly related note, I am very happy MLB finally came to their senses and gave HFA to the league champion with the better record. This is how it should have been since 2003. Basing it on the All-Star Game results was stupid, to say the least.

You know, I don't mind one bit. Hopefully, the Dodgers' trip to the World Series is the kick in the butt that Larry Baer and Giants' front office needs to completely overhaul player development, coaching, and drafting strategy.

Besides, this stuff is cyclical. The Giants cashed in big-time on their championship window, and now it's their turn to blow. It's a shame that they'll blow while their archrival is reaching new heights, but oh well. That's this strange and beautiful game I love.

At least if the Yankees win, we won't get any "I want white vs. gray" whining.

Hard to believe this will be the first time I can remember seeing the Dodgers play in the World Series. What does Me in 1988 and that dude at Kent State yesterday have in common? 

We were both in diapers on a day when the Dodgers won the pennant. OKAY CMON

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've always wanted to see a Yankees-Dodgers World Series, due to the incredible history between those two teams, so I can't believe we're one Yankees win away from it possibly happening. It's incredible to me that the Dodgers - a team with so much history and that represents the second largest city in the country - have never been to a World Series in my lifetime. (I was a bun in the oven when they won it all in 1988.)

The Dodgers look like a complete juggernaut, though I'd say the Yankees definitely would have a chance against them. If the Yankees make it, it'd be super strange to enter a World Series as an underdog (I suppose they did in 1996, but I don't really remember any of the commentary going on around that series at the time). But I've enjoyed the underdog role this postseason. It's fun not to have absurd "we must win a title every single year or else the team is a total failure!!1!1" expectations among parts of the fanbase.

8 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

now this Backyard Baseball looking crap?

Ah, the memories. Nostalgia is washing over me right now. Thank you

spacer.png

At this point, I'm fine with any of the potential World Series matches. I have no issues with the Dodgers at all, and as for the Yankees/Astros, I'd of course like to see the Astros make it, but I personally have no issues with the Yankees. Anything is better than the Red Sox/Cardinals World Series we got a couple of years ago. I can't stand either of those teams.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

9 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

It's the ghosts.

I was hoping that the Cubs could've come back.  Would have gotten that monkey off our back.  Plus, they would have done it to Dave Roberts.

It's their second new trophy in two years.  They had a trophy that got passed around like the Stanley Cup, replaced it with some wonky version, and now this Backyard Baseball looking crap?

15COLLINS4-master675.jpg

9626560-tom-ricketts-theo-epstein-mlb-nl

DMjnsviVAAADY5Q.jpg

And they kept the name and have yet to actually acknowledge the change.

It's very clear what happened.

The Mets dropped the trophy and tried to glue it back together but didn't fool anyone so MLB had to go out and buy a new one.

6 hours ago, kroywen said:

I've always wanted to see a Yankees-Dodgers World Series, due to the incredible history between those two teams, so I can't believe we're one Yankees win away from it possibly happening. It's incredible to me that the Dodgers - a team with so much history and that represents the second largest city in the country - have never been to a World Series in my lifetime. (I was a bun in the oven when they won it all in 1988.)

The Dodgers look like a complete juggernaut, though I'd say the Yankees definitely would have a chance against them. If the Yankees make it, it'd be super strange to enter a World Series as an underdog (I suppose they did in 1996, but I don't really remember any of the commentary going on around that series at the time). But I've enjoyed the underdog role this postseason. It's fun not to have absurd "we must win a title every single year or else the team is a total failure!!1!1" expectations among parts of the fanbase.

Well, I think the difference in tone for the team before the dynasty years and the switch to "New York, New York" can be summed up in the fact that this was the song that played after victories.

It's hard to think of them like that, when they're still, in most people's minds "The Man".

spacer.png

spacer.png

Would it be too much to ask for a 17 inning Game 7 with Gattis and Bird having to pitch?

Oh, by the way... Game 1’s looking to be in triple digits at first pitch.

E6FDF307-DBDF-4ACD-AD86-F93ABE509B4D.jpeg

VmWIn6B.png

I think Sabathia is gonna seal the deal for the Yanks today. He seems to pitch very well in do-or-die scenarios. 

Unless Astros keep their offense up. Altuve might have finally broken through. But that Astros bullpen has issues. 

Smart money is on CC and the Yankees.  But they have struggled on the road.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived