2018 MLB Hot Stove Season

buzzcut

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

As a Mariner fan, you can bite me... small market my ass. The guy didn't want to be in the shadow of what Ichiro did in Seattle. That's why he said no... well, that's my opinion anyway.

Good luck in Anaheim, he'll need it.

I got nothing against Mariners fans. I'm happy to see Jerry Dipoto lose though. 

36 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Jeter is a Yankees legend. Jeter buys the Marlins. The Marlins send their once-in-a-generation player to the Yankees for peanuts.

Yeah, I’m not really buying this.

Stanton had a No-Trade Clause, and would not waive it for the first two trade partners (Giants and Cardinals). Stanton made it clear he wanted the Dodgers or Yankees, and the Yankees got a better package/were willing to pay more of Stanton's albatross of a contract. I'm not really buying collusion here.

What I am buying is that Loria made a terrible deal with the expectation that the team would be contenting right about now. Then Jose Fernandez died, Loria became disillusioned with ownership and sold the team, and the new owners (of which Jeter has a sub-10% stake - he's just a face) are paying for Loria's mistakes. If Jorge Mas had bought the Marlins instead, he'd be running into the same issues with a team that's going nowhere and has a ginormous bad contract in the mix.

You cannot understate how much Jose Fernandez's death sent the Marlins into a tailspin.

The Yankees aren't the bad guy, because they want to win at any cost. Stanton isn't the bad guy, because it's his right to play for who he wants. Derek Jeter is the bad guy for buying a team that he can't afford unless he cuts the payroll to levels that wouldn't compete under the NHL salary cap, and MLB is the bad guy for perpetuating an economic system where cutting payroll to the bone and making your team terrible has no consequences at all because 95 losses and a comically empty stadium still ends up with a profitable team.

And it's only going to get worse because the MLBPA is run by a clueless moron who has no idea what he is doing.

1zgyd8w.jpg

3 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

Derek Jeter is the bad guy for owning a 4% share in the Marlins?

He is the face, so it's reasonable to assume he would shoulder the blame. The Marlins should have been sold to Jorge Mas, not to a group that doesn't seem they can afford to run a big 4 franchise.

13 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Their pitching is still suspect, but man, their offense looks REALLY explosive.

Good luck, AL.

This is still my issue with making the Yankees the best team in the AL. Maybe they will be but that pitching is nothing great. 

I thought this Ringer piece of the Stanton trade was pretty illuminating: https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2017/12/9/16756778/giancarlo-stanton-trade-miami-marlins-new-york-yankees-bruce-sherman

Essentially, and consistent with the Marlins Way, it's salary cutting for the sake of cutting expense rather than for rebuilding.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The new park didn't stop it and cashing Jeff Loria out didn't stop it. How depressing the Marlins are.

Having Wayne Huizenga as the first owner set the Marlins up for failure.

Their existence is miniature windows of success (1997, 2003, 2009 near-Wild Card, and a glimmer of contention with Fernandez and Stanton) surrounded by disastrous on- and off-field practices. I'm convinced that Jorge Mas would have done little to right the ship, as he'd have inherited the Loria group's debt and bad financial decisions. I don't think Mas has the capital to dig the team out of that mess.

It's a shame that both Florida teams have had such a bad track record with owners, fan relations, and stadiums. Having a team in that state could have been a boon for the sport. 

ALAN F****** TRAMMELL IS IN THE HALL OF FAME!!!!!! You have no idea how much this made my day, my year, my generation and my Life. My all time favorite baseball player is now a Hall of Famer .

11 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Alan Trammell is long overdue, and I can only hope that Lou Whitaker gets his due soon as well.

Jack Morris is terribly undeserving though. Honestly, he lowers the standards of the Hall for starting pitchers.

I wonder if Morris’ big-game heroics were a big push for him? I’m not as put off by him being in, but I personally would’ve voted Ted Simmons in well before him.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

27 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I wonder if Morris’ big-game heroics were a big push for him? I’m not as put off by him being in, but I personally would’ve voted Ted Simmons in well before him.

Definitely. His name would've barely come up in HoF discussions if not for his performance in Game 7 in 1991.

Javy Vazquez racked up 43.3 bWAR in 2840.0 IP, with a 105 ERA+. Jack Morris, by comparison, garnered 43.8 bWAR in 3824.0 IP (1,000 more innings pitched than Javy), with a 105 ERA+.

If Jack Morris is a Hall of Famer, Javy Vazquez is as well. And he was a guy that was completely omitted from the BBWAA ballot (wrongly so - he should've been on it - but he would've been a one-and-done even if he were included). This is an asinine induction, frankly.

Sad that the Angels will now get to waste the careers of Mike Trout AND Otani.

Everyone that was rooting for the Yankees these past playoffs because they perceived them as the spunky new underdogs are changing their tune quickly.

2 hours ago, The Six said:

Sad that the Angels will now get to waste the careers of Mike Trout AND Otani.

Everyone that was rooting for the Yankees these past playoffs because they perceived them as the spunky new underdogs are changing their tune quickly.

I think there's a good chance the Angels contend this year. They were missing most of their rotation fora good chunk of the season, and they were in the playoff hunt for most of the season. They still have some holes to fill this off-season, but throw in a full season of Upton, a healthy rotation, hopefully not losing Trout for a month and the addition of Otani, and I'm pretty optimistic.

Archived