2018 MLB Hot Stove Season

buzzcut

7 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

2012 me is so excited for this Giants roster. 

Well, 2012 me would be complaining about why Longo was needed and that the Giants should still give Gary Brown a shot. As for the trade itself:

tumblr_nh92cwtUqc1t6596co1_500.gif

I guess that acquiring these guys is better than trotting out the Gorkys Hernandez and the gang (i.e., Parker, Williamson, etc.). It's not amazing, but it's a mild upgrade.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the Giants don't want to rebuild just yet. However, I don't think these moves will have any significant impact on them and I don't think it will be enough to compete with the Dodgers, Rockies and Diamondbacks in the division. Not to mention that most of the team is pretty old. But who knows, I didn't expect them to win three titles within five years either.

The Pirates though, I guess the Reds are gonna have to make room in that NL Central cellar!

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Jim Thome has been voted in, I wonder if the Phillies retire #25.  He obviously played most of his career elsewhere, but he did play an important role in the Phillies turnaround and to a lot of people is recognized as the face of the new-feeling of Phillies baseball.  His signing represented that 1) star players were willing to come here, 2) the Phillies were willing to spend money and not act like a small or mid-market club, and 3) Phillies games at the new park (opening the year or two after he signed) were going to be events.  He meant a lot to the franchise, albeit not nearly as much as players that actually carried them to a championship and will have no chance of having their # retired.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, the admiral said:

ehhh

He won his MVP with the Angels and entered the best phase of his career with them. It's ridiculous that the Angels (the oldest expansion team, along with the Rangers) haven't had one player wear their cap in Cooperstown (despite Nolan Ryan being at his best with them and Rod Carew being on poor terms with the Twins' brass for years), and the Expos have plenty of players already enshrined (Carter, Dawson, and Raines). Let the Angels have this one guy.

The Angels will get Trout. But that is an interesting parallel with the Rangers. They're very similar franchises, the nouveau-riche of baseball.

Guerrero played over 1,000 games as an Expo, over which time he distinguished himself as the kind of singular player the Angels would buy from someone else. I think it would add a lot more to the Expos mystique to have four players enshrined with the swirly M of controversy. It's a very defiant reminder of Montreal baseball, I guess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Angels will get Trout. But that is an interesting parallel with the Rangers. They're very similar franchises, the nouveau-riche of baseball.

Guerrero played over 1,000 games as an Expo, over which time he distinguished himself as the kind of singular player the Angels would buy from someone else. I think it would add a lot more to the Expos mystique to have four players enshrined with the swirly M of controversy. 

But that's not for many years. Mike Scioscia will probably be the first (if you're a manager long enough and you win a World Series, you're getting in the Hall), I also enjoy your casual dig at the Angels' misadventures in free agency. I'm still Angels-centric with Vlad, but Vlad with the "eMb" isn't as objectionable as I originally indicated. It's not as off-putting as using a Padres hat on Ozzie Smith or a Reds hat on Junior.

I get wanting to promote the Expos in the Hall as a way to shame baseball for letting the market fall into disrepair (with help from the PQ, Montreal/Quebec government, and the Blue Jays). It's a fun little trick. 

41 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Guerrero played over 1,000 games as an Expo, over which time he distinguished himself as the kind of singular player the Angels would buy from someone else. I think it would add a lot more to the Expos mystique to have four players enshrined with the swirly M of controversy. It's a very defiant reminder of Montreal baseball, I guess.

Trout will go in as a Phillie. I have little doubt that he’s going to find a way to make it happen. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Montreal: .323/.390/.588, 1004 G, 4220 PA, 1215 H, 234 HR, 702 RBI, 34.6 bWAR

Anaheim: .319/.381/.546, 846 G, 3606 PA, 1034 H, 173 HR, 616 RBI, 22.8 bWAR

Sorry, Anaheim. But if it makes you feel any better, you have plenty of more years to rack up some Hall of Famers, and have a surefire HOFer in his mid-20s right now. The Expos... do not.

As an Expos fan, I obviously hope Vlad goes in as an Expo. But I'm just happy he made it into Cooperstown, period. He should have been in last year. He was just a tremendous baseball player.

It might be a longshot, but I'm hoping Larry Walker gets in soon so we can get one more Expo in the Hall - at least until the team comes back and starts producing more HOFers.

I'm also happy that Hoffman got in. Yes, the hardcore sabremetrics crowd says that no closers should be in at all. Even the more closer-friendly statheads say that his case was too reliant on saves (a flawed stat) and he wasn't quite as dominant as Billy Wagner or Mariano Rivera. I get the arguments, but San Diego sports fans have had so much go wrong for them that they deserve something good for once.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

He won his MVP with the Angels and entered the best phase of his career with them. It's ridiculous that the Angels (the oldest expansion team, along with the Rangers) haven't had one player wear their cap in Cooperstown (despite Nolan Ryan being at his best with them and Rod Carew being on poor terms with the Twins' brass for years), and the Expos have plenty of players already enshrined (Carter, Dawson, and Raines). Let the Angels have this one guy.

You think Rod Carew should go in as an Angel?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carewro01.shtml

Seasons: 12 (MIN), 7 (CAL)

Batting Titles: 7(MIN), 0 (CAL)

MVP: 1 (MIN), 0 (CAL)

Top Ten MVP Voting: 6 (MIN), 0 (CAL)

Postseason appearances: 2 (MIN), 2 (CAL)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

You think Rod Carew should go in as an Angel?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carewro01.shtml

Seasons: 12 (MIN), 7 (CAL)

Batting Titles: 7(MIN), 0 (CAL)

MVP: 1 (MIN), 0 (CAL)

Top Ten MVP Voting: 6 (MIN), 0 (CAL)

Postseason appearances: 2 (MIN), 2 (CAL)

Calvin Griffith was a cheap, racist bastard (why do you people have a statue of him?) who drove Carew away with his cheapness and racist attitudes. If only for those reasons, I think Angels might fit him more than Twins (like Dave Winfield fitting the Padres more than the Yankees). Stats wise, going in as a Twin is better and ultimately a better call (batting title numbers).

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Calvin Griffith was a cheap, racist bastard (why do you people have a statue of him?) who drove Carew away with his cheapness and racist attitudes. If only for those reasons, I think Angels might fit him more than Twins (like Dave Winfield fitting the Padres more than the Yankees). Stats wise, going in as a Twin is better and ultimately a better call (batting title numbers).

I think it was Carew's call (Correct me if I'm wrong but it was up to the player until Wade Boggs tried to go in as a Devil Ray?)

Carew himself has stated your first line.  I think it was his and Winfield's call.  But which team better fits Winfield is not as cut and dry (A quick glance shows eight years in SD and nine in NY).  I just don't think there's any denying that Carew's "fame" came primarily in Minnesota.  If he'd chosen to go in as an Angel, that could be respected, but it's hard to complain that he's in as a Twin.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

speaking of which:

a friend of mine did this (one of the producers). 

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Archived