Sign in to follow this  
OnWis97

Tom Petty "Pulled off life support"

I was never familiar with Petty, but I am with his Wilbury bandmates Dylan, Harrison, and Lynne (no Orbison, not yet).  Funny thing, the day he died, I found a cover of "Learning to Fly" that my dad had made.  I looked it up, and it was a Tom Petty song.  Maybe I'll get into his music some more now.  R.I.P.

FGM13    698
2 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

I was never familiar with Petty, but I am with his Wilbury bandmates Dylan, Harrison, and Lynne (no Orbison, not yet).  Funny thing, the day he died, I found a cover of "Learning to Fly" that my dad had made.  I looked it up, and it was a Tom Petty song.  Maybe I'll get into his music some more now.  R.I.P.

Definitely worth it. I’d suggest starting out with his greatest hits album (like Admiral said, it’s essential) and the song  “You Wreck Me” and working from there. Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers rock.

the admiral    10,632

"Anything That's Rock 'n' Roll," "You Wreck Me," "Jammin' Me," "So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star,"  "Runaway Trains," "You Don't Know How It Feels," and "The Last DJ" are the spares you need other than the greatest hits.

DustDevil61    449

The single "Wildflowers" is sneaky good to me, but "You Wreck Me" is among my top 10 Tom Petty songs.

McCarthy    6,842

I really like this cover Walk Off The Earth threw together of "You Dont How It Feels".

Not my favorite of his but Ill agree that Free Falling is his best work in a single song. He wrote songs that were brilliant in their simplicity, but still managed some depth lyrically. Free falling is a simple arrangement and you go "how did nobody find that hook before him? It was right there all along."and then you sit down to actually write a song and all you can manage to do is accidentally write Tom Petty songs. It took someone like him to cut through the noise and boil things down to basic chords and good storytelling.

3 hours ago, FGM13 said:

Definitely worth it. I’d suggest starting out with his greatest hits album (like Admiral said, it’s essential) and the song  “You Wreck Me” and working from there. Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers rock.

Danke.  My Petty knowledge is pretty much "Free Fallin'" and "Learning to Fly," which are both excellent.  I'll hit up some of his stuff in my spare time.