Austin Bats NBA 2K logo

Whittier S

This is a long time coming. I've had massive technical issues with both 2K17 and 2K18 that have kept me from playing, but they are nearly resolved. But that is another story. I come to you today with my logo for one of the teams I'm setting up for the game, the Austin Bats.

I mostly do really flat, retro-ish, Deco-ish logos, so this was really a stretch for me. I know the logo, and I, need help. There will be a wordmark to go above the bat, so that negative space will get filled. I'm not worried about the wordmark. But I really don't know if I've got all that highlighting on the bat right. Any help would be much appreciated.

Austin Bats Rough.png

rATMcmK.png

That green is a bit too bright. Either make that darker or make the purple darker. Other than that, this is a very nice logo. Just wish I could actually play the game, but my PS4 isn't working correctly...

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

I like the basic idea, but that bat looks really strange.  It looks like you popped it down on a 2-D template and then tentatively tried to make it 3-D.  The color scheme hurts my eyes, but I like the overall idea of this.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

Good start for sure, but definitely could use a few adjustments. For starters I like the overall shape of the wings, although the tip of the left side wing shouldn't break from the curve like it does. Other than that they look pretty good. The biggest thing this is begging for is more white or maybe light, light silver cause there's some muddling happening. TBH I don't really think this needs the charcoal at all, the bat would look just as good purple with white/silver highlights and maybe a white/silver outline while you're at it. But if you'd like to keep the gray, I would still advise an outline. One thing I think you nailed is the head, esp. the ears, but I'd like to see a little more pronounced chin. Other than that I see no problems with the body but if you could kind of curve the legs a little more along the curvature of the ball, that would really help with any 3D awkwardness. Lastly, all I can advise for the highlights is to reference pictures for actual bat anatomy and go from there, as long as you keep them to a minimum like you did here. This has the potential to be a real solid icon with some tweaking.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Really good basis you got there. The main thing that irks me is how the bat is pinned on to the basketball lines, like some butterfly in a museum. Give the poor thing more room to breathe! Maybe let the lines end with pointy tips or claws before they even touch the bat. As for colors - yeah, they're gaudy, but it works for this identity. 

Okay, here's what all I've done:

• Darkened the lime green slightly.
  • Reversed charcoal and indigo in the colorway
  • Shrank the wings and tried to make them more anatomically correct
  • Tried--very hard--to get the shading right
  • Reworked the legs to follow the ball channels a bit better
  • Added a white keyline

Austin Bats Rough 2.png

rATMcmK.png

I liked the first composition better. Try using it with charcoal lines instead of purple and just use the purple as a highlight.

Maybe attach the wings to the legs. That would make the legs look less like they're just hanging out?

Also, I feel like you haven't fully decided where your light source is coming from, that will dictate your shadows and ultimately the form (3-D quality) of the bat.

Lastly, the charcoal color is too light right now, I'd suggest something more like R:41 G:41 B:41. The color you're using now is tonally lighter than the purple. Try bringing up your image and desaturate it and you'll see what I mean. Darkening the charcoal will give you more contrast.

You're a great artist Whittier, don't over-think it, trust your gut, and draw it out.

1391788800000.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:23 PM, Whittier S said:

I know the logo, and I, need help.

The use of commas there make you sound like someone who has admitted who has admitted defeat. Do not give up. You are good, the logo looks good. Make it great(TM) using advice given to you. I believe in you. If others don't, dab on 'em. I took a month to draw a cow, you can take less than a month to make this a great(TM) logo.

I feel like I'm getting close. But I feel like I have to get a shadow of fur on the chest and just can't figure out how. Once I added the wordmark, I obscured too much of the logo, so you can no longer tell that the background is a basketball, let alone that it's doubling as the moon. Any further advice much appreciated.

Austin Bats Rough 3.png

rATMcmK.png

Archived