infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL Week 4

infrared41

Week four may be the lightest week in all the years I've been doing these lists. There were a lot of good uniforms vs. bad uniforms this week which means there wasn't much to work with. We had two games worthy of the best list, one team making the worst, and a game that made the best list mostly because it had no serious competition. This one is going to be quick. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may be different than mine and you are encouraged to say so. 

Best: 

1. Bills - Falcons - I really like these Falcons throwbacks. They aren't quite as good as the 60's inspired throwbacks, but they're still pretty good - and a whole lot better than their current set. Throw in the Bills and we have the best match up of a really weak...ahem...week.

Z7A0sKM.jpgdjq47U9.jpg

2. Washington - Kansas City: The burgundy pants kept this one out of the top spot. I like the look, but I think the gold pants would have worked just a little better matched up against the Chiefs. Still a good looking game. KC is one of my favorite looks. 

YvlwuxV.jpgccO255I.jpg

3. Panthers - Patriots: I think the Pats uniforms look like they were designed by committee, but the colors are good and this is their best possible combo. It ain't the greatest look, but when combined with the Panthers, it's more than good enough to make the list in a week as light as this one.

cKnsgui.jpgTEtXCmJ.jpg

Worst:

The Los Angeles Rams: The Rams look like they lost their uniforms on the way to Dallas and had to wear mix and match stuff donated by local high schools. This just might be the most messed up uniform to ever take the field in the Super Bowl Era NFL. There's no way the Rams keep up this nonsense for the next two and a half seasons, right? 

MBb3P1n.jpgqSzMWtb.jpg

And that, folks, is that. Let's hope we have a lot more to work with next week. Thanks for dropping by. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

4-frame_pg_600.jpg

I think this modern classic has to be in consideration. Despite a few flaws these are two classic looks for two classic teams that Nike knocked out of the park.

I really want to like the Lions new look, but it's just not working for me. The home set is OK, but I'm not a fan of the white over blue. Maybe if they wore the gray pants with the white jerseys. I love the Vikings uniforms. 

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, I was surprised not to see Detroit-Minnesota up there (I would've preferred silver pants though). It should've replaced Carolina-New England, a matchup that was okay color-wise, but not that great aesthetically.

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I really want to like the Lions new look, but it's just not working for me. The home set is OK, but I'm not a fan of the white over blue. Maybe if they wore the gray pants with the white jerseys. I love the Vikings uniforms. 

I'd prefer they wore the gray pants on the road too. However, I've gotten use to the blue. I'd probably really like them if they had white socks with the blue triple stripe on them.

31 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Best: 

1. Bills - Falcons - I really like these Falcons throwbacks. They aren't quite as good as the 60's inspired throwbacks, but they're still pretty good - and a whole lot better than their current set. Throw in the Bills and we have the best match up of a really weak...ahem...week.

Z7A0sKM.jpgdjq47U9.jpg

These are the '60s inspired throwback . . . with the Glanville-era helmets (note the red outline on the sleeve logo).  That said, mix-and-match notwithstanding, this is a good looking uniform . . . and worlds better than their usual mess (though my son seems to disagree).

1966_Atlanta.png?61811992_Atlanta.png?6181

13 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I'm with you on this.  The "silver" pants would look much better.  To me, silver pants are almost a signature part of the Lions look, which they appeared to have abandoned.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Worst:

The Los Angeles Rams: The Rams look like they lost their uniforms on the way to Dallas and had to wear mix and match stuff donated by local high schools. This just might be the most messed up uniform to ever take the field in the Super Bowl Era NFL. There's no way the Rams keep up this nonsense for the next two and a half seasons, right? 

MBb3P1n.jpgqSzMWtb.jpg

That description of their look is absolutely spot on. Even Ross Tucker commented on it in his podcast and in tweets. 

59d3f136d9b3c_ScreenShot2017-10-03at16_20_36.png.b7b024f988b400434fa9de03c964eb62.png

I've said it before but it bears repeating - love it when you see a team in 2017 and they look essentially like they did decades before.

YvlwuxV.jpglen-dawson-017041932.jpg

Finally, a "back in my day..." bonus for our younger readers...wide receivers (then called "flankers" or "split ends") used to get down in a stance before running their patterns.

324ce6675d44e9f5663cf737102c0fff--kansas

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

46 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

I've said it before but it bears repeating - love it when you see a team in 2017 and they look essentially like they did decades before.

YvlwuxV.jpglen-dawson-017041932.jpg

Finally, a "back in my day..." bonus for our younger readers...wide receivers (then called "flankers" or "split ends") used to get down in a stance before running their patterns.

324ce6675d44e9f5663cf737102c0fff--kansas

If only the sleeve stripes were still on the cuff.  I don't know why, but that really downgrades the Nike version of the Chiefs' uniform for me.

4833b0e7f97b3627fad906eca7aa4577

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

3 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

I'd probably really like them (Lions new H-Blue away pants) if they had white socks with the blue triple stripe on them.

You hit it spot-on!

The Lions went with the Honolulu Blue pants back in 1998, I remember seeing Barry Sanders in those.

Apparently Mr. Ford didn't like them and they were shelved after that season. In fact, if I remember correctly I don't think they even wore them for every away game when donning the white jerseys.  White socks w/ the  Honolulu blue  Northwestern stripes would make those pants look way better.

These teams with the colored pants (excluding silver, gray, yellow) really need white socks, starting w/ the Bills, Vikings, Eagles, Seahawks navy pants, Rams, Dolphins, Titans navy pants, and the homeless Chargers.

The ones who do it right with the colored pants on the road are KC, NE, CHI, NYJ, WSH.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

If only the sleeve stripes were still on the cuff.  I don't know why, but that really downgrades the Nike version of the Chiefs' uniform for me.

4833b0e7f97b3627fad906eca7aa4577

Yes it does, I agree with you also.

That KC red jersey just looks too busy since they moved the TV numbers from sleeves to shoulders and added the old AFL logo patch (which I do like). Loved the AFL !!

I also remember the KC helmet logo being larger during the time of the merger and in Super Bowl IV against Minnesota. They downsized it and not many people even noticed, I did. 

I always enjoyed the color contrast for KC at Oakland... and always wanted the Bills to get blue pants for the white jerseys. I finally got my wish in 1973 when they debuted in the season opener at Schaefer Stadium in NE. Back then hardly anybody even knew about it until the 1 pm NBC kickoff.

3 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Couldn't agree more. And welcome back. It's good to have another "old-timer" around here. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

I'd prefer they wore the gray pants on the road too. However, I've gotten use to the blue. I'd probably really like them if they had white socks with the blue triple stripe on them.

That would certainly help. 

BB52Big.jpg

IMO Saints-Dolphins was a great matchup. Great color contrast, and I think this is one game where the Saints got it right regarding pant color. While the leotard look is obviously still awful, the black pants look great against aqua.

-75571a9f050e5c43.jpg.0637f141f348976258e3aac99aba08c6.jpg

59d43354522c0_SaintsatDolphins.png.96c9945393ce06739ff6831efb516979.png

ExJworW.png

12 hours ago, infrared41 said:

By "60's inspired", I guess I meant the Tommy Nobis era uniforms. 

75b208e21a7602620f29272313965e1e--falcon

You need to go back a season (or two).  These are exactly the 1966 uniforms with the 1990s helmets (except for the jersey cut shrinking the logo).

atlanta-falcons-linebacker-tommy-nobis-sadc5d819df781a2e0b54ffda8ca803b2.jpg

The Falcons wore the same uniforms as throwbacks before the one helmet rule was instituted.  Since then, they just switch the helmet logo.

New+Orleans+Saints+v+Atlanta+Falcons+ON4gettyimages-577678088-1.jpg?w=640&h=360&

According to the Gridiron Uniform Database, the sleeve logo was white in 1967 (which explains why I found a few pictures with a white sleeve logo).  They ditched the logo and added stripes in 1968,

The Falcons were ahead of their time in using a sleeve logo instead of stripes.  Unfortunately, their glimpse into the future only lasted two years.

12 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Couldn't agree more. And welcome back. It's good to have another "old-timer" around here. 

The more the merrier.

13 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

Yes it does, I agree with you also.

That KC red jersey just looks too busy since they moved the TV numbers from sleeves to shoulders and added the old AFL logo patch (which I do like). Loved the AFL !!

I also remember the KC helmet logo being larger during the time of the merger and in Super Bowl IV against Minnesota. They downsized it and not many people even noticed, I did. 

I always enjoyed the color contrast for KC at Oakland... and always wanted the Bills to get blue pants for the white jerseys. I finally got my wish in 1973 when they debuted in the season opener at Schaefer Stadium in NE. Back then hardly anybody even knew about it until the 1 pm NBC kickoff.

I am just trying to come up with a list of teams that are (virtually) unchanged since the 1970's merger -

Baltimore Colts/Indianapolis Colts (they need to fix those "UCLA stripes")
Chicago Bears (the "C" on the helmet and the width of the striping on the pants)
Dallas Cowboys (home only, but the color of the pants is different)
Green Bay Packers (width of striping on the pants)

Kansas City Chiefs (tv numbers)
Los Angeles Raiders
New York Jets (green pants)

Pittsburgh Steelers (different numbers, wore white pants on road in 1970)

San Francisco 49ers (sleeve striping reduced to 2 stripes)

Basically, these are all just modernized versions with minimal tweaks to them.

Teams that would greatly improve their look by returning to their 1970 style -

Atlanta Falcons
Boston Patriots/New England Patriots
Cleveland Browns
Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions (they have moved in the right direction)
Los Angeles Rams
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings (the old white over purple uniforms looked sharp)
New Orleans Saints
St. Louis Cardinals/Arizona Cardinals

San Diego Chargers/Los Angeles Chargers

The others -

Buffalo Bills - They've returned to uniforms that are a little more in line with their early 1970s look, albeit with a different helmet logo
Cincinnati Bengals - the 1970 look was incredibly lifeless so they're better off with a more modern style

Cleveland Brown/Baltimore Ravens - A moot point

Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans - ditto
Philadelphia Eagles - the 1970 uniform was almost as dull as Cincinnati's.
New York Giants - the home uniforms have returned to close to 1970, the roads are different, but harken back to the 1960s
Washington Redskins - I like their 1970 style, and their current uniforms are very close other than the helmets and the  burgundy pants

Archived