infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL Week 4

infrared41

18 hours ago, infrared41 said:

2. Washington - Kansas City: The burgundy pants kept this one out of the top spot. I like the look, but I think the gold pants would have worked just a little better matched up against the Chiefs. Still a good looking game. KC is one of my favorite looks.

I understand why you think the 'Skins would've looked better in gold pants, but I have to respectfully disagree on this one. I'm a huge fan of the burgundy pants, and that shade of red is just dark enough to add some variation with the Chiefs.

12 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

IMO Saints-Dolphins was a great matchup. Great color contrast, and I think this is one game where the Saints got it right regarding pant color. While the leotard look is obviously still awful, the black pants look great against aqua.

While I like the Dolphins' look (I like every era of Dolphins' uniforms, believe it or not), the Saints' black pants absolutely ruined this game. Saints with gold pants: Top 5 look. Saints with black pants: Bottom 10 look.

41 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

adc5d819df781a2e0b54ffda8ca803b2.jpg

The Falcons wore the same uniforms as throwbacks before the one helmet rule was instituted.  Since then, they just switch the helmet logo.

gettyimages-577678088-1.jpg?w=640&h=360&

The Falcons are one of the few teams out of the four major sports that I actually think should be black-dominant. Of course the one team I want to emphasize black heavily pretends they don't know the shade color exists.

19 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Teams that would greatly improve their look by returning to their 1970 style -

Atlanta Falcons
Boston Patriots/New England Patriots
Cleveland Browns
Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions (they have moved in the right direction)
Los Angeles Rams
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings (the old white over purple uniforms looked sharp)
New Orleans Saints
St. Louis Cardinals/Arizona Cardinals

San Diego Chargers/Los Angeles Chargers

The others -

Buffalo Bills - They've returned to uniforms that are a little more in line with their early 1970s look, albeit with a different helmet logo
Cincinnati Bengals - the 1970 look was incredibly lifeless so they're better off with a more modern style

Cleveland Brown/Baltimore Ravens - A moot point

Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans - ditto
Philadelphia Eagles - the 1970 uniform was almost as dull as Cincinnati's.
New York Giants - the home uniforms have returned to close to 1970, the roads are different, but harken back to the 1960s
Washington Redskins - I like their 1970 style, and their current uniforms are very close other than the helmets and the  burgundy pants

Of these teams, the Lions, Vikings, Bills, Redskins, and Dolphins are fine where they are. If the Saints ditched the leotard they'd be OK too. The Eagles need to get rid of black and/or lighten the charcoal to silver and they'd be decent (the number font is dated but it doesn't bother me that much). The Bengals and Browns need to make wholesale changes.

NSFCvyu.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

4-frame_pg_600.jpg

I think this modern classic has to be in consideration. Despite a few flaws these are two classic looks for two classic teams that Nike knocked out of the park.

I'd like these a LOT more with silver socks, and thicker silver borders of the numerals.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:
17 hours ago, infrared41 said:

By "60's inspired", I guess I meant the Tommy Nobis era uniforms. 

You need to go back a season (or two).  These are exactly the 1966 uniforms with the 1990s helmets (except for the jersey cut shrinking the logo).

I should have just said "the throwback set with the red helmet." B)

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

I'd like these a LOT more with silver socks, and thicker silver borders of the numerals.  

Does no one understand that socks cannot be silver? The grey ones they wore in the 90's sucked which is why they wear the blue socks.

6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

You need to go back a season (or two).  These are exactly the 1966 uniforms with the 1990s helmets (except for the jersey cut shrinking the logo).

atlanta-falcons-linebacker-tommy-nobis-sadc5d819df781a2e0b54ffda8ca803b2.jpg

The Falcons wore the same uniforms as throwbacks before the one helmet rule was instituted.  Since then, they just switch the helmet logo.

New+Orleans+Saints+v+Atlanta+Falcons+ON4gettyimages-577678088-1.jpg?w=640&h=360&

According to the Gridiron Uniform Database, the sleeve logo was white in 1967 (which explains why I found a few pictures with a white sleeve logo).  They ditched the logo and added stripes in 1968,

The Falcons were ahead of their time in using a sleeve logo instead of stripes.  Unfortunately, their glimpse into the future only lasted two years.

What I don't like is those jerseys are the exact jerseys they wore in the 98 Super Bowl season

USATSI_2123501.jpg

if they would just get some silver pants with that striping they'd have an accurate throwback to a uniform they've actually worn before instead of the monster mash of eras. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I should have just said "the throwback set with the red helmet." B)

Yeah, that would have worked too.  :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

What I don't like is those jerseys are the exact jerseys they wore in the 98 Super Bowl season

USATSI_2123501.jpg

if they would just get some silver pants with that striping they'd have an accurate throwback to a uniform they've actually worn before. 

They're not quite the same jerseys.  The 60s throwbacks have a red outline around the sleeve logo.  The 90s set does not.

atlanta-falcons-throwback-helmet-matt-rydeion_bio.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

On 10/3/2017 at 2:53 PM, infrared41 said:

Worst:

The Los Angeles Rams: The Rams look like they lost their uniforms on the way to Dallas and had to wear mix and match stuff donated by local high schools. This just might be the most messed up uniform to ever take the field in the Super Bowl Era NFL. There's no way the Rams keep up this nonsense for the next two and a half seasons, right? 

MBb3P1n.jpgqSzMWtb.jpg

And that, folks, is that. Let's hope we have a lot more to work with next week. Thanks for dropping by. 

If there's one thing I agree with; this set is ATROCIOUS. The gold piping on the navy Rams jerseys DOES NOT work with the white ram helmets. Partially felt like Dallas went their whites in this game on purpose; because I think their blues against the Rams whites would've made a FAR superior jersey matchup.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Just now, leopard88 said:

They're not quite the same jerseys.  The 60s throwbacks have a red outline around the sleeve logo.  The 90s set does not.

atlanta-falcons-throwback-helmet-matt-rydeion_bio.jpg

Look closer, Mr Leopard. It's hard to see, but the red outline did come back and I'm pretty sure it was in 1998.

I know Vick wore it with a red outline in his early years. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Look closer, Mr Leopard. It's hard to see, but the red outline did come back and I'm pretty sure it was in 1998.

I know Vick wore it with a red outline in his early years. 

I may be old, but you don't have to call me Mr.

As for the red outline during the Vick era, I never noticed it before.  I couldn't find an action shot that was clear.  This is the best I could find.

michael-vick-atlanta-falcons-nfl-reebok-

8 hours ago, Bobster said:

I am just trying to come up with a list of teams that are (virtually) unchanged since the 1970's merger -

Baltimore Colts/Indianapolis Colts (they need to fix those "UCLA stripes")
Chicago Bears (the "C" on the helmet and the width of the striping on the pants)
Dallas Cowboys (home only, but the color of the pants is different)
Green Bay Packers (width of striping on the pants)

Kansas City Chiefs (tv numbers)
Los Angeles Raiders
New York Jets (green pants)

Pittsburgh Steelers (different numbers, wore white pants on road in 1970)

San Francisco 49ers (sleeve striping reduced to 2 stripes)

Basically, these are all just modernized versions with minimal tweaks to them.

Teams that would greatly improve their look by returning to their 1970 style -

Atlanta Falcons
Boston Patriots/New England Patriots
Cleveland Browns
Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions (they have moved in the right direction)
Los Angeles Rams
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings (the old white over purple uniforms looked sharp)
New Orleans Saints
St. Louis Cardinals/Arizona Cardinals

San Diego Chargers/Los Angeles Chargers

The others -

Buffalo Bills - They've returned to uniforms that are a little more in line with their early 1970s look, albeit with a different helmet logo
Cincinnati Bengals - the 1970 look was incredibly lifeless so they're better off with a more modern style

Cleveland Brown/Baltimore Ravens - A moot point

Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans - ditto
Philadelphia Eagles - the 1970 uniform was almost as dull as Cincinnati's.
New York Giants - the home uniforms have returned to close to 1970, the roads are different, but harken back to the 1960s
Washington Redskins - I like their 1970 style, and their current uniforms are very close other than the helmets and the  burgundy pants

Well, technically, the Texans and Panthers have never changed their look, so they are unchanged since 1970. 

They just started in 1995 and 2002, respectively :P

ExJworW.png

The Lions blue socks actually kill that uniform. Throws the color balance completely off. The blue is too something to be used that much unobstructed. They need silver or white striped socks to break up the kind of blaring amount of color.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

12 hours ago, Bobster said:

I am just trying to come up with a list of teams that are (virtually) unchanged since the 1970's merger -

Baltimore Colts/Indianapolis Colts (they need to fix those "UCLA stripes")
Chicago Bears (the "C" on the helmet and the width of the striping on the pants)
Dallas Cowboys (home only, but the color of the pants is different)
Green Bay Packers (width of striping on the pants)

Kansas City Chiefs (tv numbers)
Los Angeles Raiders
New York Jets (green pants)

Pittsburgh Steelers (different numbers, wore white pants on road in 1970)

San Francisco 49ers (sleeve striping reduced to 2 stripes)

Basically, these are all just modernized versions with minimal tweaks to them.

Well...

bart-starr_pg_600.jpg

Starr_Bart_03.jpg?20516

The above is not the below.  (The above is also a better uniform.)

Aaron_rodgers_2014.jpg

AaronRodgers.jpg

18 hours ago, DeFrank said:

The Lions blue socks actually kill that uniform. Throws the color balance completely off. The blue is too something to be used that much unobstructed. They need silver or white striped socks to break up the kind of blaring amount of color.

The leotard look is always bad. I think the socks should always contrast with the pants, but something about a bright color like the Lions' blue or the old Bucs' orange makes the leotard look even worse.

5e3c43e1f1127ef96675fe422aa5ef4a.jpg

white socks with stripes that match the sleeves is the way to go. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

21 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I may be old, but you don't have to call me Mr.

As for the red outline during the Vick era, I never noticed it before.  I couldn't find an action shot that was clear.  This is the best I could find.

michael-vick-atlanta-falcons-nfl-reebok-

if you enlarge this photo you can sort of make it out

9-jamal-anderson-rb.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

25 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

if you enlarge this photo you can sort of make it out

9-jamal-anderson-rb.jpg

That's one of the ones I looked it.  I put it in the "I think there is an outline, but I can't tell for sure" category.

On 10/3/2017 at 5:12 PM, leopard88 said:

If only the sleeve stripes were still on the cuff.  I don't know why, but that really downgrades the Nike version of the Chiefs' uniform for me.

4833b0e7f97b3627fad906eca7aa4577

Agreed. Gives it that Walmart "replica" look.

On 10/4/2017 at 8:27 AM, leopard88 said:

New+Orleans+Saints+v+Atlanta+Falcons+ON4gettyimages-577678088-1.jpg?w=640&h=360&

I hate the Atlanta Falcons, but their original logo and those unis are fantastic. The current logo is terrible in comparison and I really don't understand the love for it.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

I hate the Atlanta Falcons, but their original logo and those unis are fantastic. The current logo is terrible in comparison and I really don't understand the love for it.

The current logo doesn't get any love from me.

I like the 1966 uniform, but I think the current fauxback (1966 uniform, 1990s helmet) looks even better.

Archived