New NBA All-Star Format: No East vs West

hettinger_rl

That's right the East vs West format is gone! players are voted into a "pool" of players and the top 2 vote getters become captains (like on the playground) and pick their teams from that pool. More details here: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20905491/nba-all-star-game-switch-formats-captains-pick-team-conference-affiliations

What do you think of this shake-up?

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

5 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

The NFL did it for a few years and I thought it was a great idea, so I'm for this...

I just wish there's more defense in the All-Star Game.

I hated it in the NFL and NHL. If they wanted players to take it more seriously have the league champ play a combined All Star team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Ok, sure, whatever. The real excitement is the debate over who the captains will be, because that drastically alters who gets drafted where. My favorite possibility is LeBron and Russ, so we can see how long it takes before KD gets drafted.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Yeah, I'm not a fan. I'm someone who prefers All-Star Games stay conference/league vs. conference/league, so to me this just seems like a desperate gimmick. Honestly though, is someone who already didn't like the ASG when it's in a traditional format really more likely to watch it when they do a fantasy draft like this?

2 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan. I'm someone who prefers All-Star Games stay conference/league vs. conference/league, so to me this just seems like a desperate gimmick. Honestly though, is someone who already didn't like the ASG when it's in a traditional format really more likely to watch it when they do a fantasy draft like this?

I agree.  I know nobody really cares whether the East or West wins, but there's something to be said for the rationale for those to be the teams. Just throwing the guys onto the teams semi-randomly just means you're watching two groups playing together for no particular reason. I didn't like it in the NFL or NHL, either.  East Vs. West makes sense, but Team LeBron vs. Team Steph?  Ugh.

I know I'm in the minority on this...people seemed to like it in the other leagues...I like knowing that player from Team X plays for the East and player from Team Y plays for the West.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't know...being that roughly 90% of the talent, skill, and star power now resides in the West, maybe this is the NBA's way of making things "fair"...

...while deflecting attention away from said imbalance...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Buc said:

I don't know...being that roughly 90% of the talent, skill, and star power now resides in the West, maybe this is the NBA's way of making things "fair"...

...while deflecting attention away from said imbalance...

Pretty much this.

It's no coincidence this has been introduced just at a time when, what, 15 of the top 20 players in the league or so, are all in one conference

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is keeping the 12 players from each conference. There's more than a few All Star level players in the West who would easily be All Stars in the East but can't get even close in the West, with this format you'd figure that they could just select the 24 best players instead of arbitrarily dividing it by Conferences  when they're not playing as conferences. 

And yeah, not televizing the draft is stupid.That would absolutely be the best part of this.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

2 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is keeping the 12 players from each conference. There's more than a few All Star level players in the West who would easily be All Stars in the East but can't get even close in the West, with this format you'd figure that they could just select the 24 best players instead of arbitrarily dividing it by Conferences  when they're not playing as conferences. 

And yeah, not televizing the draft is stupid.That would absolutely be the best part of this.

I wonder whether contract bonuses for making the all-star game come into play.  If they too, say 18 from the West and 6 from the East, would that create a contract-related problem when contracts were signed with the expectation of 12 per side?  I have no clue about that stuff...just a thought.

I hate, hate, hate this.  But I'd have figured that televising the draft was the entire purpose of this nonsense.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

How is letting team captains choose their own teams going to make these guys play defense? Isn't that the whole point of changing the format, because the league doesn't want to see these teams try and run up the score to 200? Personally, I don't care whether these All-Star games are competitive or not. It's an exhibition match. But if the whole point is to make them more competitive, I don't see how this solves anything. 

3 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Ok, sure, whatever. The real excitement is the debate over who the captains will be, because that drastically alters who gets drafted where. My favorite possibility is LeBron and Russ, so we can see how long it takes before KD gets drafted.

The tension of who gets picked last is what NBA Twitter wants to witness.  The last pick will get crushed so hard, KD's alter ego will come to the rescue.

I would make time to watch or DVR the draft than watch one possession of Celebrity Game w/ Kevin Hart and C-listers play.

I don't care if the players play defense, or, really, play the game at all. I think I've seen every slam dunk contest I ever need to see, and the three-point contest have kind of run its course too.

Just like the NFL all-star game, I'd be fine if the NBA just released the all-star selections and called it good. The game itself seems perfunctory. The only functional benefit of playing the game is that guys get injured so a second wave of guys get to be all-stars and collect contract bonuses. That and this:

mariah-jordan-wizards-jersey.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

^ The NFL did this well before the NHL did, right? Of course the Pro Bowl was still terrible. I actually think this would be better if it hewed more closely to the NHL model, and make it a mini-tournament of 3-on-3 games. As it is, this tweak makes little sense to me. It will just be the usual all-star rosters with a few guys switched back and forth, if they're not even getting rid of the 12 per conference requirement.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived