Sign in to follow this  
Chipper25

Two or More Major Sports Teams in Same City with Same Name

17 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Ahh, okay then. If I had to guess the logo I posted (from Wikipedia's article on the team) is probably from 1940-1942 then, since that's the only other time they affiliated with the Cardinals.

I don't know that's a good assumption; birds on a bat was not uncommon in those days, even for clubs totally unrelated to the Cardinals. 

5d67e8c53d7b8393db0e3287cae9c89c--baltim

Or maybe I should say creatures on a bat. 

e71207c1f4fa045f36c073ee5d7711af--the-ca

On 10/4/2017 at 4:10 PM, Red Wolf said:

Even though the era of same name teams in the same city is long gone, I wish more cities had same color teams like Pittsburgh. I guess merchandising might discourage that a bit too. 

I like the way Seattle does it where every team is wearing their own colors but they're within the same color combination family. 

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Or maybe I should say creatures on a bat. 

e71207c1f4fa045f36c073ee5d7711af--the-ca

That looks a lot like a Cardinals affiliate, given the color scheme and sleeve/sock stripe pattern, but Wiki says they were only affiliated with the Cardinals in 1961.  UniWatch says this is from 1956.  Verrrry interesting.

The socks, maybe.  I don't know that you can read anything in to a navy-and-red color scheme.

Regardless, the point I was trying to make is that inspiration comes from a lot of places.  Although it's true that many affiliates favored their big league club by the 1950s, you can't always look at similarities and infer a connection.

Does this include European clubs, where they play multiple sports and all the teams share the same name? For example, Grasshoppers Club Zurich has teams playing soccer, basketball, hockey, and a multitude of others, and they're all known as the Zurich Grasshoppers (or variations thereof).

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The socks, maybe.  I don't know that you can read anything in to a navy-and-red color scheme.

Regardless, the point I was trying to make is that inspiration comes from a lot of places.  Although it's true that many affiliates favored their big league club by the 1950s, you can't always look at similarities and infer a connection.

I agree that the navy and red scheme doesn't carry any weight on its own.  I was referring to it when coupled with the socks.

I also agree with your point about inspirations.  As you pointed out, the birds-on-a-bat look was fairly common in that era.  Overall, I''m sure there were many other areas of overlap since the baseball aesthetic as a whole was pretty simple, 

27 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Does this include European clubs, where they play multiple sports and all the teams share the same name? For example, Grasshoppers Club Zurich has teams playing soccer, basketball, hockey, and a multitude of others, and they're all known as the Zurich Grasshoppers (or variations thereof).

Key difference here is that all those teams play under the same organisation. A bit like College teams, in a way.

On October 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM, mcj882000 said:

Toronto Maple Leafs: MiLB 1902-1967, NHL 1927-present
I was surprised to learn that not only did they co-exist for 40 years, but the baseball team had the name 25 years before the hockey team did!

Baseball team still exists, now in the Intercounty Baseball League

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

Baseball team still exists, now in the Intercounty Baseball League

Thats an unrelated amateur team named after them, founded the year after the pro team moved.  

On a related note, what about cities that seem to have a "naming theme?" Like Detroit has lions and tigers, two animals you'd find in a zoo. Chicago has cubs that grow up to be football-playing bears. I always thought those were kind of clever.

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

On a related note, what about cities that seem to have a "naming theme?" Like Detroit has lions and tigers, two animals you'd find in a zoo. Chicago has cubs that grow up to be football-playing bears. I always thought those were kind of clever.

Three of the Phoenix area teams share their names with animals that are native to Arizona.