Two or More Major Sports Teams in Same City with Same Name

Chipper25

17 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Ahh, okay then. If I had to guess the logo I posted (from Wikipedia's article on the team) is probably from 1940-1942 then, since that's the only other time they affiliated with the Cardinals.

I don't know that's a good assumption; birds on a bat was not uncommon in those days, even for clubs totally unrelated to the Cardinals. 

5d67e8c53d7b8393db0e3287cae9c89c--baltim

Or maybe I should say creatures on a bat. 

e71207c1f4fa045f36c073ee5d7711af--the-ca

On 10/4/2017 at 4:10 PM, Red Wolf said:

Even though the era of same name teams in the same city is long gone, I wish more cities had same color teams like Pittsburgh. I guess merchandising might discourage that a bit too. 

I like the way Seattle does it where every team is wearing their own colors but they're within the same color combination family. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Or maybe I should say creatures on a bat. 

e71207c1f4fa045f36c073ee5d7711af--the-ca

That looks a lot like a Cardinals affiliate, given the color scheme and sleeve/sock stripe pattern, but Wiki says they were only affiliated with the Cardinals in 1961.  UniWatch says this is from 1956.  Verrrry interesting.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The socks, maybe.  I don't know that you can read anything in to a navy-and-red color scheme.

Regardless, the point I was trying to make is that inspiration comes from a lot of places.  Although it's true that many affiliates favored their big league club by the 1950s, you can't always look at similarities and infer a connection.

Does this include European clubs, where they play multiple sports and all the teams share the same name? For example, Grasshoppers Club Zurich has teams playing soccer, basketball, hockey, and a multitude of others, and they're all known as the Zurich Grasshoppers (or variations thereof).

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The socks, maybe.  I don't know that you can read anything in to a navy-and-red color scheme.

Regardless, the point I was trying to make is that inspiration comes from a lot of places.  Although it's true that many affiliates favored their big league club by the 1950s, you can't always look at similarities and infer a connection.

I agree that the navy and red scheme doesn't carry any weight on its own.  I was referring to it when coupled with the socks.

I also agree with your point about inspirations.  As you pointed out, the birds-on-a-bat look was fairly common in that era.  Overall, I''m sure there were many other areas of overlap since the baseball aesthetic as a whole was pretty simple, 

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

27 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Does this include European clubs, where they play multiple sports and all the teams share the same name? For example, Grasshoppers Club Zurich has teams playing soccer, basketball, hockey, and a multitude of others, and they're all known as the Zurich Grasshoppers (or variations thereof).

Key difference here is that all those teams play under the same organisation. A bit like College teams, in a way.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

On October 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM, mcj882000 said:

Toronto Maple Leafs: MiLB 1902-1967, NHL 1927-present
I was surprised to learn that not only did they co-exist for 40 years, but the baseball team had the name 25 years before the hockey team did!

Baseball team still exists, now in the Intercounty Baseball League

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note, what about cities that seem to have a "naming theme?" Like Detroit has lions and tigers, two animals you'd find in a zoo. Chicago has cubs that grow up to be football-playing bears. I always thought those were kind of clever.

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

On a related note, what about cities that seem to have a "naming theme?" Like Detroit has lions and tigers, two animals you'd find in a zoo. Chicago has cubs that grow up to be football-playing bears. I always thought those were kind of clever.

Three of the Phoenix area teams share their names with animals that are native to Arizona.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• 1 year later...
On 10/21/2017 at 4:09 PM, Quillz said:

New York once had the Mets (MLB), Jets (AFL/NFL), Nets (ABA/NBA), and Sets (WTT).
nym.pngapps.49347.9007199266568811.4eec8d58-2c5e-4c76-8e04-9022712f86e2.a7af9eb1-d499-4141-8097-6308e111c06d?mode=scale&q=90&h=200&w=200&background=%23FFFFFF  new-jersey-nets-logo-png-9.png Image result for new york sets
At one point, the Mets and Jets shared Shea Stadium, while the Nets and Sets shared the Nassau Coliseum.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I know this is a little different, but the fact that there will be a Nashville SC (USL-C) and Nashville SC (MLS), and both with colors of navy blue and yellow to boot, is hella confusing and seems like a bad idea.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

On 10/21/2017 at 3:09 PM, Quillz said:

Kansas City has a theme where the nickname is based on some type of ruler/leader

Kansas City Chiefs, Royals and the former Kings. 

The municipal equivalent of compensating for feelings of inadequacy. 

EDIT: From 1996-2010, you could even say spring sports had a medieval feel with the aforementioned Royals and the Kansas City Wizards (now Sporting KC)

There is currently a professional independent baseball team called the St. Paul Saints.  Prior to the Twins arrival, a AAA team by the same team was affiliated with the Red Sox.

There was also a WHA team called the Minnesota Fighting Saints.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived