8BW14

Professional Football in an Alternate Universe: AFL Pacific

St Louisan here. Quality concept for the STL team. I love the logo. We had an indoor soccer team called the steamers for a long time but I like your concept better.

Completely irrelevant side note: I think 25% energy from a paddle wheel is pretty ambitious. That river is powerful but not that powerful.

41 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

Wait..... so there's a team

called the sabres

who use navy and gold

in Nashville

with the NHL existing. 

So you're telling me

that the Buffalo Sabres AND the Predators said "that's cool"? 

Also i love this series

You know that's a good point and I can't believe I hadn't thought of it. I might have to go back to the drawing board for Nashville and that's too bad because I really like the way their uniforms turned out... I could also just pretend the Buffalo Sabres don't exist.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate your following this series.

32 minutes ago, Midwest_surfer said:

St Louisan here. Quality concept for the STL team. I love the logo. We had an indoor soccer team called the steamers for a long time but I like your concept better.

Completely irrelevant side note: I think 25% energy from a paddle wheel is pretty ambitious. That river is powerful but not that powerful.

Thanks for the compliment on the Steamers. You're probably right about the paddle wheel though. I was thinking of storing up energy and settting off costs, plus its my fantasy world and it sounds coolB)

2 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Thanks for the compliment on the Steamers. You're probably right about the paddle wheel though. I was thinking of storing up energy and settting off costs, plus its my fantasy world and it sounds coolB)

Yeah it’s not relevant to the concept at all, it just stuck out at me. 

Something to think about, it might be cool to add a paddle wheel around the outside of the STL, it could act as a roundel type thing. Not sure if it would work, but it may be worth adding just to see

Idea: Save the Nashville Sabres colors and name for another team. Gives you more separation. Or make them the Nashville Claymores or Knights, same logo with different colors. 

18 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

Idea: Save the Nashville Sabres colors and name for another team. Gives you more separation. Or make them the Nashville Claymores or Knights, same logo with different colors. 

Or...maybe the Nashville Olympians? Since the city is nicknamed the Athens of the South, hence the Tennessee Titans?

12 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Or...maybe the Nashville Olympians? Since the city is nicknamed the Athens of the South, hence the Tennessee Titans?

I'm thinking maybe Nashville Generals, named for Francis Nash, a revolutionary war hero and namesake of the city. 

If I went that route, could I keep the logo or should I change it?

I'm also leaning toward keeping the same colors because I chose them based on the city flag, not necessarily the predators, who I'm sure chose their colors for the same reason.

Any other thoughts would definitely be appreciated

Here's a little teaser for the teams from the AFL East, which will be unveiled tomorrow:

59dbf9e7031e3_afleastteaser.thumb.png.9a4d1d0b0586941d6b1c6edc60adbf81.png

As always, feel free to speculate and thanks for taking the time to have a look.

37 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Nashville reminds me way to much of Nicholls St.

I don't know, I wouldn't say they are any closer than  Western Michigan and the Denver Broncos and I wouldn't say those two logos are all that similar besides the fact that they are both angry horses.

4 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Here's a little teaser for the teams from the AFL East, which will be unveiled tomorrow:

59dbf9e7031e3_afleastteaser.thumb.png.9a4d1d0b0586941d6b1c6edc60adbf81.png

As always, feel free to speculate and thanks for taking the time to have a look.

I'm thinking New York, Philly, Boston and DC.

I saw an oil derrick on the preview image. Does this mean a reborn Houston Oilers squad?

12 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I'm thinking New York, Philly, Boston and DC.

I saw an oil derrick on the preview image. Does this mean a reborn Houston Oilers squad?

Two of those are correct, can't say which ones though. As far as the oil derrick, you're on the right track

Maryland, Boston, New York, and I can't think of what the fourth team would be. Those are my guesses 

The AFL East features three of the original eight AFL franchises and boasts 10 AFL Championships between the member teams.

59dcdf542cbe2_BaltimoreAdmiralsBio.png.8672bd19b7e83fef01241b3e86f0c9a3.png

59dcdf4b9182b_baltimoreadmiralswordmark.png.60363b79f9132cafc83d72c55e9f1b39.png

59dcdf52396e5_baltimoreadmiralspresentation.thumb.png.4b46051a7522c619a4c7ee1e5de88d75.png

The Baltimore Admirals don very traditional uniforms with four stripes on the sleeves that mimic the stripes on an Admiral's uniform. The Admirals have worn a white helmet and gold home jersey for their entire history with various number styles and striping patterns, but the team's logo has remained untouched since 1961. The current uniforms have been worn since 2002 when the gold facemask and blue alternate jersey were added to the uniforms rotation. Since their last championship in 2006, the Admirals have fallen on hard times, going through 6 head coaches and 19 different starting quarterbacks. For the past six years, running back, Julius Brown has been the team's best player, but his contract expires at the end of the 2017 season so he will likely be moving on. Baltimore is also having trouble securing funds and permission from the city to build a new stadium to replace their current stadium, which was already seventeen years old when they moved in in 1961. Ownership has threatened to pack up and move if an agreement cannot be reached by the summer of 2018.

59dcdf4a79d7c_BostonRaidersBio.png.617a87462856bfb29839ebd31058d47c.png

59dcdf416c352_bostonraiderswordmark.png.0e5a44a7321138aec7b2cfadcf887e2d.png

59dcdf4841d1b_bostonraiderspresentation.thumb.png.48658c04cd7195dcb0d7fa5479b990af.png

The Boston Raiders are famous for wearing their gray pants on the road with their white jerseys. The original owner, Matthew S. Adams did not like the way the other teams looked in their all white road uniforms and wasn't happy with the shade of green that the pants manufacturer could produce, so the Raiders have worn gray pants with their white jerseys for their entire history as a tribute to Adams. The sleeve and sock stripes, inspired by the stripes of the U.S. flag have been on the Raiders' uniforms since the team's inception in 1946. The current uniforms are a subtle update of the 1970 uniforms, when the current logo was added to the helmets. The only difference between the current uniforms and the 1970 uniforms is the Raiders wordmark on the chest. The Raiders are the most recent AFL champs, winning the 2016 American Bowl (which actually took place in February, 2017), behind young, bright Head Coach Garrett O'Riley and unlikely star QB Will Stine, a 6th round draft pick from Illinois in 2014.

59dcdf36d3cb5_NewyorkEmperorsBio.png.ba5afb8b935498802793a3b8137618c6.png

59dcdf2e0f89c_newyorkemperorswordmark.png.c90bd1de860ac98546b5d509a3a610bf.png

59dcdf34f0c50_newyorkemperorspresentation.thumb.png.6625e11832c0961495f6a87af8c6aab9.png

The New York Emperors are still officially known as the New York City Football Club, the only team in the AFL to not have an official nickname. The Emperors are the original AFL Champions, winning back to back titles in 1946 and 1947. The Emperors nickname comes from a reporter calling the offensive line a bunch of Emperor Penguins after they played a profoundly bad game. The name stuck and works on another level as New York is known as the Empire State. The current logo, featuring the Emperor Penguin was adopted in 1985 after years of the team wearing a funky, connected lowercase ny logo. In 2008, the double striping on the uniforms was changed to tapered stripes and the italic number font replaced the unique serif block font NYC Football had worn for years. Occasionally, the Emperors will wear monochrome black but they always wear the white striped socks when they wear their black pants. The throwback uniform is a throwback to the 1962 Championship season. Juwan Richardson is the most feared pass rusher in the league, terrorizing quarterbacks, routinely having All-Pro seasons and winning the MVP in 2015, the first defensive player to do so since 1996.

59dcee6907486_PhiladelphiaRattlesnakesBio.png.a225af5a031b3ba1591aa6d79c71261c.png

59dcdf559589c_philadelphiarattlesnakeswordmark.png.5a284a25ac183215b04c34384f689b8c.png

59dcdf5c08e9b_philadelphiarattlesnakespresentation.thumb.png.b32bb051750cad6f111bb8839384402c.png

The Philadelphia Rattlesnakes take their colors from the city flag of Philadelphia. The uniforms, like the rest of the AFL East, are very traditional, old school football uniforms and the logo is inspired by the Gadsen flag, a symbol of the American Revolution and associated with Benjamin Franklin. The neck bumpers of the 'Snakes helmets read "Don't Tread on Me",  the motto on the historic flag. in 1976, the rattlesnakes added the roundel with 13 stars to the team logo, which was meant to be a one-year change to commemorate the Unites States Bicentennial, but the stars have been on the helmet ever since. In the late 1990's, Philadelphia tinkered with blue and yellow facemasks and even added a black alternate uniform with matching black pants, but none of those looks stuck. The current alternate uniform is a throwback to the 1960's and the throwback helmet is very popular among Rattlesnakes fans.

Well, that's the AFL East, C&C is always welcome, thanks for taking the time to have a look and your thoughts and feedback is definitely welcome on any and all of the teams I have presented so far, especially the Nashville Sabres predicament. I'm leaning toward Generals but other thoughts are definitely welcome, thanks again.     

I love the persentation of this series - the logo silhouettes are a great touch! I have never had the self control to finish an entire series before posting.

17 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I love the persentation of this series - the logo silhouettes are a great touch! I have never had the self control to finish an entire series before posting.

Thanks. I have the same problem. I actually started this project almost two years ago and didn't want to post it until I had everything done, including the mini histories, or I never would have finished it.  It makes posting the teams so much easier. 

I got 3 out of 4 right, and all the teams look great!

16 minutes ago, CheeseBurger22 said:

I got 3 out of 4 right, and all the teams look great!

Well to be fair, a black circle doesn't give a whole lot away, assuming that's the one you didn't get right

Yup, that's the one I got wrong