8BW14

Professional Football in an Alternate Universe: American Bowl Results

How do you simulate the seasons?? Want to know because i want to try a football league alternate universe

Also, as of the 2017 season, how many players have switched to the Vicis Zero1 helmet, or at least a fictional version of it?

12 hours ago, RealSkillsAbraham said:

How do you simulate the seasons?? Want to know because i want to try a football league alternate universe

Didn't have a chance to actually simulate the season this time around. I literally just made up the results. I have plans to actually simulate future seasons a week at a time.

12 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Also, as of the 2017 season, how many players have switched to the Vicis Zero1 helmet, or at least a fictional version of it?

There is a new helmet on the market this year called the Genesis 1.0 and it is worn by a a handful of players. It is still far less popular than more traditional helmets. I'm working on a template for the new helmet that will be part of the uniform template for next season.

I think boston st Louis Milwaukee and seattle will advance to next round

11 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Didn't have a chance to actually simulate the season this time around. I literally just made up the results. I have plans to actually simulate future seasons a week at a time.

Image result for sad gif

xxCpxAe.png

The first round of the AFL playoffs was definitely not without excitement. We had a huge upset and another near-upset of the 1 seed.

-Boston held off the Pirates to win a shootout 38-35 on a last second field goal in the cold wind at Boston Brewing Field. Leading 35-21 heading into the fourth quarter, the Raiders looked poised to cruise on to the semifinals of the AFL playoffs, but 2 touchdown passes by Owen Kelly tied the game at 35. Boston put together enough of a drive to capitalize on a shanked Pirates punt and close out the game with a 32 yard field goal to advance.

-The Seattle-Pittsburgh game was a game in name only, Seattle dominated the game, only giving up a touchdown in garbage time with the game well in hand. The Thunderbirds picked off Pittsburgh QB, Jim Ruck 3 times and the offense rolled behind QB, Cam Russell who threw for three TD's and rushed for another on the way to an American Bowl rematch against the defending champs, Boston.

-The Atlanta Titans stunned the St. Louis Steamers in St. Louis. Defense was apparently optional in this matchup, seeing 13 touchdowns scored between the two teams. STL QB, DeAndre Dawson threw 6 touchdown passes and WR Lavar Johnson caught three of them. however, it wasn't enough to overcome the onslaught from the Titans, who played as perfectly as they could on offense in the franchise's first playoff game since the 2009 season. We'll see if Atlanta can hang on to the magic and keep rolling with a rookie quarterback in the semis.

-The Milwaukee Chiefs flexed their muscles in the second half after going into halftime down 10-3 to the Denver Cowboys. The Chiefs scored on the opening drive of the first half and never looked back, advancing to the semifinals to play the red-hot offense of the Atlanta Titans.

Anything can happen in the playoffs and please feel free to comment. Thanks for taking a look and check back next week for the semifinal results and American Bowl matchup. 

Atlanta and boston to win and book place in the final.

This is a great series! I really enjoyed reading all of the descriptions of all the teams. Does the American Bowl change venues like the Super Bowl? Or is it hosted by the high seed? Just curious where it is this season if it does change.

I always like seeing concept leagues with all the teams logos together, so the bracket is interesting in that sense. Personally, I'm rooting for the underdog in Atlanta. 

Quick question, have there been any relocations or franchises folding in this league? Or has every franchise been pretty stable in that regard. 

2 hours ago, officerpain138 said:

This is a great series! I really enjoyed reading all of the descriptions of all the teams. Does the American Bowl change venues like the Super Bowl? Or is it hosted by the high seed? Just curious where it is this season if it does change.

It's just like the Super Bowl. It moves around year to year. This year it is in Los Angeles.

2 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

Shouldn't 6 play 1, Titans vs. Raiders, and 5 play 2, Thunderbirds vs. Chiefs?

The AFL doesn't change second round matchups like the NFL. The bracket is set from the beginning since it's an 8 team playoff.

2 hours ago, ~Bear said:

I always like seeing concept leagues with all the teams logos together, so the bracket is interesting in that sense. Personally, I'm rooting for the underdog in Atlanta. 

Quick question, have there been any relocations or franchises folding in this league? Or has every franchise been pretty stable in that regard. 

Since the inception of the modern AFL, there haven't been any relocations or defunct teams. There have been near misses regarding folding and threats to move. Birmingham nearly folded after the death of the team's founder in the 80's, Indianapolis actually has come the closest to moving to Portland in 1994 and Baltimore it threatening to move before the beginning of the 2018 season if a some sort of agreement with the city can't be reached.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

I like how you have the bracket set up. Any plans to have more teams make the postseason? I actually like that only division champions get in. But maybe something like the mlb? Four wild card teams, the two winners play 1 and 2. 

5 hours ago, officerpain138 said:

I like how you have the bracket set up. Any plans to have more teams make the postseason? I actually like that only division champions get in. But maybe something like the mlb? Four wild card teams, the two winners play 1 and 2. 

8 playoff teams is definitely not ideal but it is the most straightforward approach; win your division and you're in. The problem that comes alone with that is when you have a situation like this season where Chicago has a better record than three division champs and beat Milwaukee twice. It's not really fair and their fans will let you know it.Adding wildcard teams is something I would like to see happen. 10 or 12 teams with a wildcard round is something that should be looked at for the league, more games, more teams in the thick of it at the end,and more revenue  seems like a no-brainer to me. The idea has been brought up in owners meetings, but some of the older, more powerful owners like Chicago's Anderson family have been staunchly opposed to changing the playoff format. We'll see if they change their tune after this being left out of the postseason this year.

FeGarNF.png

Well, the Seattle Thunderbirds got their revenge against the Boston Raiders, dropping the Raiders 31-24 to advance to Seattle's third straight American Bowl. Seattle lead most of the game until Raiders cornerback, Jamal Smith III, picked off Seattle's QB Russel and returned the pick for a touchdown to tie the game at 24 with  5 minutes to go in the game. Seattle scored to take the lead back and held off the threatening Raiders as time expired.

The Milwaukee-Atlanta score is a bit deceptive. The game was tied at 17 in the fourth quarter and Atlanta was driving. Milwaukee stripped rookie QB Romo as he scrambled for a first down and Chiefs QB Todd Wolters ran the ball into the endzone to take the lead 24-17 after the extra point. Atlanta fumbled the ensuing kickoff return, Milwaukee settled for a field goal and iced the game to give us the final score of 27-17. Milwaukee is making their first trip back to the Big Game since 2011, when they defeated the Pittsburgh Tigers.

American Bowl Preview

The 2017 American Bowl will be played on Sunday January 28, 2018, in Los Angeles at Disney-Knight Stadium, home of the LA Knights. Obviously, the Milwaukee Chiefs and Seattle Thunderbirds were two of the best teams in the AFL this season. The American Bowl should be a matchup of strength vs. strength. Seattle's defense is among the best in the league and should be tested against MVP candidate Todd Wolters and Milwaukee's passing game. Seattle's offense is no slouch either, leaning on young QB Cam Russel and his go-to tight end James Jefferson, who is a force, both as a blocker and receiver. Milwaukee is the early favorite, but is only favored by three points. Will Seattle's more recent experience in big games play a role, or can a superstar QB lead a team made up mostly of players who haven't had much playoff experience win the biggest game of their lives? I guess we'll find out in two weeks.

Thanks for taking a look, any comments and feedback are more than welcome.

Seattle pulls the upset! The Raiders must be heartbroken. Congrats to the Chiefs as well for winning, but I’m gonna predict the Thunderbirds pull off another upset. 

Ye0CavM.png

QEakQ3C.pngdark

Here's the American Bowl uniforms and field. Since there are no conferences in the AFL, the high seed is designated as the home team and chooses whether they will wear a light or dark jersey. Thanks for taking a look.

Epic! Especially a fan of the thunderbirds!🔥

Would've loved to see Boston win so there would've been a Raiders/Chiefs American Bowl. 

Still, gotta love Seattle's uniforms.

The Milwaukee Chiefs are your 2017 AFL champions after defeating the Seattle Thunderbirds 27-21 in the 71st American Bowl. Seattle's defense was the story of the first half. After the first quarter, the game was scoreless and Milwaukee only led 3-0 at halftime taking advantage of a muffed Seattle punt return. The second half was a different story, as both teams scored two touchdowns to bring the score to 17-14 Milwaukee going into the fourth. Milwaukee controlled the quarter, scoring ten more points and Seattle put up a touchdown just inside 2 minutes to go, to bring the score to 27-21 Chiefs. The Chiefs were able to recover the ensuing onside kick and run out the clock to win the game. Todd Wolters was named MVP as he threw three TD passes on the way to winning the third American Bowl of his career. This season was Wolters' 14th and he is 35 years old, so there is some speculation he will retire, but he hasn't given any indication that he will indeed retire so we'll see.

Well, that's it for the 2017 AFL season, thanks for following along and offering your input and feedback. Now it's time to move on to the offseason, where we will see some rule changes, player movement, relocation and expansion talk, and some uniform tweaks and overhauls. Thanks again, and I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.